• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Sketch Covers?

224 posts in this topic

I like sketch cover for probably the most ridiculous reason there is to like them.

My OCD says I need them. I'm not kidding. Unlike OA, encapsulated sketch covers are all the same size. Not close to the same size, but exactly the same size.

There's also the advantage of being able to handle them without having to worry about damaging the art.

Initially, you could get a sketch cover for a fraction of the price of a nice page of OA but the artists are catching on, meaning the price is steadily climbing. When they were cheaper, it was a lot more fun. I could get a really nice cover done by artists I couldn't dream of getting a page from and move on to another "tough" artist. John Romita and David Finch come to mind quickly. I got sketches from them for a fair price and it was WAY under the cost of a page by either of them.

If money weren't an issue, I'd go OA all day but I would probably still keep getting the sketch covers. It's fun now and like I say, it feeds my OCD.

1. Sketch on blanks are easy to transport than large OAs, I can bring these easily to conventions, to friends' houses, etc. to show to my friends. I don't want to bring large 11x17s with me just so I can show them personally to friends. They are also easier to display.

2. Certificates. I don't like to spend large money on something I'm not even sure if original, a good looking print, or a forgery. Authenticity puts the mind at ease especially since I live in another country and it would be a big hassle if I later on find out my 11x17 is a fake.

3. I SURELY CANNOT BUY EACH AND EVERY OA on 11x17 THAT I LIKE EVEN IF I HAVE THE MONEY. If let's say I want the cover to Infinity Gauntlet 1 and it is already in a private collection and will be buried with the owner then so much for that.

4. Blanks are easy to bring in conventions for sketching. It would be funny to see someone bring an 11x17 on a convention just to have Jim Starlin do a doodle. Come on man, bring an 11x17 just to have an artist doodle on it and take a picture..that would be cool.

5. Easy access. Let's face it, not everyone can get in line for 11x17 commissions as compared to blank sketches wherein it's much easier. Even if you meet the artist on a convention you can get at least a quickie on it. Would you have a quickie in a 11x17?

no doubt that sketch covers have had to hurt the oa market.

it doesnt matter what anyone says. you can scream from the roof tops. when it comes to buying and selling anything that needs to be certified. something that is iron clad. something that there is no doubt about will always. i repeat will always command more of a premium. then something that cant really be proven.

you have been able to buy oa since the first comic was drawn. ss and sketches are relatively new things on the market.

the reason that sketch covers " command more or as much money as a larger piece of oa." is because of the fact there is no question they are real. also like sean said with sketches you get what you want drawn on the book.

i know there are old school guys that will never give it up. hell i have one uncle still waiting on beta max to make a comeback. i have another that still swears by 8 track tapes.

sometimes you have to give things up except the future and live in the now.

hm after a few minutes to think on that i have always hated how my uncles hotel california 8 track has to change tracks just as joe walsh and don felder are really laying it down. but hey to each their own. lol

no doubt that sketch covers have had to hurt the oa market.

it doesnt matter what anyone says. you can scream from the roof tops. when it comes to buying and selling anything that needs to be certified. something that is iron clad. something that there is no doubt about will always. i repeat will always command more of a premium. then something that cant really be proven.

you have been able to buy oa since the first comic was drawn. ss and sketches are relatively new things on the market.

the reason that sketch covers " command more or as much money as a larger piece of oa." is because of the fact there is no question they are real. also like sean said with sketches you get what you want drawn on the book.

i know there are old school guys that will never give it up. hell i have one uncle still waiting on beta max to make a comeback. i have another that still swears by 8 track tapes.

sometimes you have to give things up except the future and live in the now.

hm after a few minutes to think on that i have always hated how my uncles hotel california 8 track has to change tracks just as joe walsh and don felder are really laying it down. but hey to each their own. lol

I don't want to argue this forever, but I have to ask, what sketch covers are commanding more or as much as larger pieces of art on a normal basis? If we are comparing apples to apples, show me a Finch sketch cover that is even half the price of a Finch splash or cover? Jim Lee, Doug Mahnke, John Romita, JR JR and any others? I honestly can't think of an established artist where there sketch covers are worth half much as a cover they did. If anyone can find me an example please do.

OA is not 8-Tracks by any means, but many people feel sketch covers are pogs lol

The money that goes around in OA makes sketch cover money look like money found in the couch. Littlebill I like ya! but cmon, you can't really believe that CGC Sketch covers are going to over take OA in the future?

Anyone else want to chime in on this?

neal adams sells his newer oa for less then he sells new 9.8 full figure cgc ss sketches on his website.

i understand how some would put finch or mahnke in a class above neal adams. lol

i like you as well mr jesper. we will have to agree to disagree on this subject and let things play out in the future.

I honestly can't think of an established artist where there sketch covers are worth half much as a cover they did. If anyone can find me an example please do.

:baiting: John Byrne (New Avengers Blank) IIRC Cos paid close to 4K for that one of a kind beaut. :foryou:

Sketch covers will never make a dent in the OA market. I can't get a SC from Al Williamson, but I can find his art and most comic pages start at $1000. Granted, there is the exception that was just mentioned, but how many SCs get anywhere near a grand just to start? Just look at the EC covers and still complete stories that bring $10,000 and up!

SCs are a fun and affordable way for me to get a little something from my favorite artists and CGC Authentication is just icing on the cake. They're no goldmine, but they are a blast!

Show me a Neal Adams Sketch cover...the highest priced one ever and on a comparable level it is not even close to what a Neal Adams cover from Detective comics is worth. Sure he might be selling his newer stuff cheaper, but again that is taking the weakest of comparisons and using it against the best of your comparison. Lets just be fair. Best sketch cover prices, like Par2ch showed and then compare...

John Byrne, the price was about 5x too much for the SS Cover, but compare it to an Uncanny Cover and not even close.

Again, apples to apples. The best price for a sketch cover from a creator vs the best price for a cover. You can't even compare. And to think that sketch covers are going to overtake those examples is beyond insane.

If this is the thought process you will walk away from CGC Sketch covers years from now realizing you just spent a lot of money with little return on the investment. If you are doing it for enjoyment, it doesn't matter, but if anyone thinks sketch covers are going to allow them to retire early...not happening. But seeing the money people are selling for OA, yeah...some of these people are retiring early...

Again, I have sketch covers. I love em, but not something I consider an 'investment' like OA.

If either of you has OA you want to trade for sketch covers, please contact me or any other people on the boards who share this side of the arguement. I would have no problem doing that. I will trade J. Scott Campbell sketch covers for OA all day, or Mahnke, Mike Zeck, and a host of others.

no doubt that sketch covers have had to hurt the oa market. Sketch covers are a blip on the OA map

it doesnt matter what anyone says. you can scream from the roof tops. when it comes to buying and selling anything that needs to be certified. something that is iron clad. something that there is no doubt about will always. i repeat will always command more of a premium. then something that cant really be proven. for sketch covers yea as you get the cool case, but most OA collectors with a trained eye can tell a fake, so I will disagree with you.

you have been able to buy oa since the first comic was drawn. ss and sketches are relatively new things on the market. Wrong again, people have been getting commissions/sketches since the beginning

the reason that sketch covers " command more or as much money as a larger piece of oa." is because of the fact there is no question they are real. also like sean said with sketches you get what you want drawn on the book. wrong again, sketch covers are going so high now is because artists know the SS addicts will buy them so they price high, similar to the sketch card craze that has been going on for years, it's a small niche market.

i know there are old school guys that will never give it up. hell i have one uncle still waiting on beta max to make a comeback. i have another that still swears by 8 track tapes. and then we have people with yellow fever who think the wheel just go reinvented.

sometimes you have to give things up except the future and live in the now.you mean accept the future or is the future an exception?

My humble opinion:

OA far outweighs sketch covers imo. Sketches haven't been around long enough to compare to any type of OA

Maybe in 20 or 30 years there can be some comparison, but not now. It's like a 2 year old being put next to Yao Ming

But that being said, my personal preference is sketch covers. Graded yellow, displayed and stored away. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for this percentage of the hobby

the reason i collect sketches on blank covers is simply the certification by cgc that it is authentic. in days where nearly everything on ebay is fake it is worth twice as much to me to have it certified.

In reality, this only applies to people lacking in experience in the hobby, and those who have been in the hobby a while and haven't studied what they are buying.

in my opinion at some point sketch covers with their certification will kill the oa market.

Sketch covers are part of the OA market.

The OA market contains: Oil paintings, Ink wash covers, splash pages, panel pages, sketch covers, convention sketches, at home commissions, etc etc etc.

To look at it another way. I don't care how great a Frank Miller sketch cover is, it will Never overtake a published Frank Miller page.

You can insert, literally, dozens of artist names in the previous sentence and it would still be 100% true and factual.

Now....I want to say...Jon is right.....traditional OA will usually sell for more than a blank cover....that simply goes without saying...

Let me ask THIS question....if its the SAME quality sketch....one on a piece of backing board etc, or one on a blank cover, that has been CGC SS'd...which would sell for more?

It really does go both ways.....About 5 months ago, I got a blank cover done by Chris Guiarruso...I think it cost me about 20 bucks....I got it back, needed some cash and threw it up on Ebay...it sold for almost 160!!!!!!! I was SHOCKED.....

Now, would that SAME sketch, if it was on a simple piece of paper, sell for that amount? Dont think so...

But....

I think there are some examples that the opposite might be true...people are welcome to chime in....

But again....the whole point of this thread it to really find out why people want the CGC SS blanks....so far, I think many of you brought up some great points....

I honestly can't think of an established artist where there sketch covers are worth half much as a cover they did. If anyone can find me an example please do.

:baiting: John Byrne (New Avengers Blank) IIRC Cos paid close to 4K for that one of a kind beaut. :foryou:

I have an interior page by Byrne that's almost 3 times what that sketch cover cost...and it's not even in the top ten of Byrne pages.

To look at it another way. I don't care how great a Frank Miller sketch cover is, it will Never overtake a published Frank Miller page.

You can insert, literally, dozens of artist names in the previous sentence and it would still be 100% true and factual.

Well put. The only reason I want a Brian Bolland sketch cover is because I can't afford a Brian Bolland cover or splash. I still get artwork from him. I still get a character closely associated with him, but I pay a fraction of the price. No, it's certainly not the same but it allows me to have a nice item and not have to re-mortgage the house.

Show me a Neal Adams Sketch cover...the highest priced one ever and on a comparable level it is not even close to what a Neal Adams cover from Detective comics is worth. Sure he might be selling his newer stuff cheaper, but again that is taking the weakest of comparisons and using it against the best of your comparison. Lets just be fair. Best sketch cover prices, like Par2ch showed and then compare...

John Byrne, the price was about 5x too much for the SS Cover, but compare it to an Uncanny Cover and not even close.

Again, apples to apples. The best price for a sketch cover from a creator vs the best price for a cover. You can't even compare. And to think that sketch covers are going to overtake those examples is beyond insane.

If this is the thought process you will walk away from CGC Sketch covers years from now realizing you just spent a lot of money with little return on the investment. If you are doing it for enjoyment, it doesn't matter, but if anyone thinks sketch covers are going to allow them to retire early...not happening. But seeing the money people are selling for OA, yeah...some of these people are retiring early...

Again, I have sketch covers. I love em, but not something I consider an 'investment' like OA.

If either of you has OA you want to trade for sketch covers, please contact me or any other people on the boards who share this side of the arguement. I would have no problem doing that. I will trade J. Scott Campbell sketch covers for OA all day, or Mahnke, Mike Zeck, and a host of others.

Jon what about the influence of sketch covers being turned into Published OA covers (like J.Scott Campbells Weapon X being used for a Wolverine Cover and my Marvels Project by Steve Epting being the basis for a Captain America Variant?)

I feel like some of the Sketch Cover defenders are comparing sketch covers to SKETCHES on bigger paper (11X17) and aren't comparing them to actual published OA. I don't think there is a Neal Adams sketch cover out there that would be priced higher than a published Neal Adams splash or cover OA piece. Priced higher than a less detailed sketch on bigger paper... sure, but against a published splash or cover... I'd need to see this site.