• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New monthly comics with flaws...

14 posts in this topic

Have you fellas noticed in the past few months it's been increasing the number of copies that arrive fesh to the stores full of defects?!

I've noticed more these overral on the ultimat marvel titles, wolverine nº13 and 14,... i go to several stores and notice the same kind of messed up flaws...

Anyone has been noticing this kind of situation (that seems to increase monthly)?

I definitely have noticed that new comics are hard to find in "normal flawless brand-new" condition... but not that it's getting worse lately. Same Bat defects.... same tedious bat search.

Yeah, I used to think that if you looked at the front and back covers for errors then you could be assured of having checked for flaws. Not anymore though. Sad, especially since cover prices are so high. 893frustrated.gif

yep i've been noticing these flaws alot, mainly on marvel...

flaws in marvel comics seem to be more production/packaging-related (little "cuts" on every cover of a certain comic, always in the same spot, or indents on the edge of every cover, in the same spot, or a production cover crease) and alot of marvel books show alot of wear right out of the box! like lots of cover wear near the spine on the cover (looks like lots of wrinkles)...it's very annoying

deffects in new dc books that i've noticed seem to be more along the lines of more "classical" defects, for example, every single copy at the 3 shops i go to wednesday mornings of the new issue of jla which came out last week had 2 color-breaking cover spine-creases

overall i supose these defects arent THAT serious, i'm just going to have to settle for a 9.6 once in a while but that doesnt mean i have to like it gosh darnit!

The best copies i could find in all the stores around here of wolverine nº13 was one with 2 spine creases!!!

And the same goes to the latest issue of USM, my first comic of USM collection with one crease at the spine...damn it. I have late silver age in almost better shape, 27_laughing.gif.

It's funny how in every comicshop you find the same kind of defects on the same titles/issues...

The conan comic is also a hard one to find in perfect shape...

The conan comic is also a hard one to find in perfect shape...

True enough, every single Conan #3 at my LCS had a very bad wear mark on the spine around the top staple...verry annoying having to settle. 893frustrated.gif

yup every copy of conan 3 i went through at my 3 shops had a colour-breaking "tear" on the spine about an inch below the top staple...

seems to me like these are really obvious production defects...

doesnt cgc not downgrade books for production defects? or some at least?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was at an LCS on Long Island yesterday that I occassionally frequent.

I asked for my copies of Superman 204 (I had pre-ordered 5). He goes to the side of the store and I see his "stash" in a long box. He handed me my 5 and I was shocked. Every one of them had a bend on the spine - in the same spot - 1/2 inch down from the top staple.

I asked if I could "cherry pick" from what he had. He said he'd already gone through the books and that the ones with flaws were on the shelf. Still, I looked at the remaining 55 books - and every single one of them had the same bend.

He wanted to know why I was so concerned. I said that I was looking for CGC candidates. He claims, "Oh, don't worry - they'll CGC at 9.6." And I just stared at him... No way, maybe 9.2 (stretching a 9.4), but definitely not 9.6.

Needless to say, I cancelled the remaining pre-orders.

Larry

Packaging and the COMIC STORES EMPLOYES WHO PICK THEM AS IF THEY WERE A PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!!

Looking at how they handle them gives me chills...looks like some of the modern periods will be getting harder to get in great shape, and they were printed "yesterday"!!!!!! 893frustrated.gif

Have you fellas noticed in the past few months it's been increasing the number of copies that arrive fesh to the stores full of defects?!

Expect to see even more when the Wizard First program kicks into gear. tonofbricks.gif

I guess it must be all of the extra wear and tear these books are going through with companies such as DF and Colususs probably being given cherry picking rights to the books first. Situation probably won't be improving with Wizard picking off their top 100 copies and possibly manhandling the rest of the unwanted remainders to ensure they get the highest graded copies. 27_laughing.gif

This kinda [!@#%^&^] has been happening since the dawn of comic books but noone gave a rat's rear end because they weren't looking for "gems" to send off to CGC. I'm sure the situation with having DF, Wizard and others pick through them doesn't help but I seriously doubt they could be held responsible for mangling more books than those being mangled by the other greasy bastages that do it on a monthly basis while sorting, packing and shipping.