• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketch Covers vs Original Art Debate

117 posts in this topic

There's enough competition for good stuff in the original art hobby now as it is. Hopefully, sketch covers won't be a gateway collectible, but rather the shiny object that distracts them from bidding on the traditional original art I want. rantrant

There's enough competition for good stuff in the original art hobby now as it is. Hopefully, sketch covers won't be a gateway collectible, but rather the shiny object that distracts them from bidding on the traditional original art I want. rantrant

For paper, you are really weird

Sorry if I'm repeating someone else's point but even though it's technicallyOA I consider it more of a collectible like a comic or autograph. Some people are compulsive by nature (not knocking anyone, I am too). I believe the fact it has the little plastic coffin and label appeals to certain collectors in some unrational part of the brain. Probably the same thing that goes on to trigger obsessive-compulsive behavior (again, not knocking, this applies to me too). This just happens to be about sketches on covers. I think the art is secondary to the uniformity of the CGC slab and label in many cases even if the collector doesn't consciously realize it.

Until this thread started, I hadn't really taken much of an interest in sketch covers.

Not knocking them . . . some of the illustrations I've been looking at are really good. (thumbs u

However, I could see myself quickly become bored with endless portrait shots of various superhero characters. zzz

Not quite sure why you can have a cover with a (pre-printed) X-MEN logo that features a portrait of THOR? (shrug)

What's the reasoning behind that? hm

Sorry if I'm repeating someone else's point but even though it's technicallyOA I consider it more of a collectible like a comic or autograph. Some people are compulsive by nature (not knocking anyone, I am too). I believe the fact it has the little plastic coffin and label appeals to certain collectors in some unrational part of the brain.

Some will argue that not all Sketch Covers are slabbed, but I suspect you are correct about this. I also suspect a corollary to your point is that the uniform size, format and familiarity of the Sketch Cover format appeals to most of its aficionados even if they don't opt to have them slabbed.

Not quite sure why you can have a cover with a (pre-printed) X-MEN logo that features a portrait of THOR? (shrug)

What's the reasoning behind that? hm

You put it more delicately than I did in the other thread, but I agree - inquiring minds want to know. Given the choice, I would prefer not to have any big logos or a picture frame design featuring dozens of other characters or "MARVEL VARIANT EDITION" or "THE MARVELS PROJECT" preprinted on my OA. It's not like the available space isn't constrained enough already without having extraneous tat placed in the way as well. (shrug)

I started getting some art done on sketch covers within the past year, I think they're fun and if you can get a good deal, a sweet piece for a much lower price than a full 11x17 commission.

I've been lucky to pick up several Captain America Fallen Son blank covers for 50 cents a piece at a Con and that is what got me started on asking artists to do their sketches for me on them versus a backing board.

3x5 is not 11x17

its a lot bigger than 3 x 7

most are 5 x 7 and some are almost 8 by 11

and its like I said, my Coipel piece cost me 300$ and I saw him draw in front of me my piece and other 11 by 17 commissions at fanexpo and the detail and technique is on par and it was 250$ less expensive than the 11 by 17 counterpart

Im just curious about sketch covers and how well they'll stand the test of time.

On most sketch covers, what type of ink are the drawings being done with? Is it archival ink or standard markers? Also, the paper the cover images are drawn on... Does it fade or break down over time?

To me these seem like sketches that are just like all others, except drawn on a comic book cover. To compare them to published comic art is absurd. And given the choice between a cover quality commission and a sketch cover... Well, I'd take the commission anyday. Who in their right mind wouldn't unless they couldn't afford it?

That said, I can see the appeal if it's looked at for what it is, a normal sketch or Id even say in some cases pinup.

One gripe, will D.C. ever release a blank sketch cover? I think they're the only major publisher not having created one (I think I saw a limited edition Batman blank cover they did for a European convention).