• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Montreal Con report with pics and video

34 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I doubt I'll be able to top the comprehensive reports on the Montreal experience Voorhees and VintageComics/Roy have already posted, but I figured I'd add my two cents to the experience.

First of all, despite my best intentions to connect with some fellow boardies for the first time, my lack of advance planning failed miserably and with the exception of unknowingly stopping by Voorhees' table, I didn't get to meet any of you, which is a shame. I would have loved to have seen Roy in person to meet this board icon and attempt to negotiate a 10-year amortization period for his 9.4 OWW Sgt. Fury No. 1... :cloud9:

Outside of that disappointment, I had a great time and was pleased to see how the show has grown from its roots and certainly even from last year - it's tough to gauge but I would say the overall show space was probably 3x-4x larger than in 2010, which is incredible. Here's a rather pedestrian vid I shot from the balcony area to capture the size:

Tons of people in costume and a real nice, diverse array of dealers and product on the floor. I will add my voice to those who are encouraging you dealers out there to make Montreal 2012 a stop on your convention circuit - the city, with the success of its FanTasia Film Festival in July/August and its burgeoning video gaming industry (home of Ubisoft and a major base for EA) certainly provides the base for a clientele who dig the fantastic, and I think the appetite for comics is evident, and growing, in the market. Ignore it at your own peril!

Onto some pictures, starting with a couple from the "Heroes of the North" online superhero series. Still don't understand their economic model for producing their stuff, but I've got to hand it to them - the costumes are fantastic and their actresses hawt:

IMG_3343.jpg

Elektra and Black Cat:

IMG_3348.jpg

Seems to me that if you're going to wear a skintight, "sexy" outfit, you'd want to work your abs first:

IMG_3381.jpg

I believe this guy was one of Red Skull's lackeys - cool outfit:

IMG_3382.jpg

Star Wars in tha house!

IMG_3385.jpg

The ubiquitous Batmobile - still impressive:

IMG_3349.jpg

Stan the Man signing:

IMG_3354.jpg

Stan with Stan Sakai and Sergio Aragones - he has a genuinely great rapport, it seems, with his peers in the industry:

IMG_3358.jpg

Aragones. Seems like he only does variations of the same Groo sketch in various levels of detail (upper torso, full body, action sequence, etc.). Some guy came up to him and asked him to sketch Groo slicing off his head, and he turned him down despite the guy having cash in hand.

IMG_3370.jpg

Adams, who takes credit cards!

IMG_3380.jpg

Herb Trimpe working on a sketch. Got to chat with him for a bit and both he and his wife are outstanding people. Just really down-to-earth and genuine. Three interesting (to me, at least) things I learned from him: 1. He has several copies of Hulk 181 in his collection (no word if they're graded!) - apparently he kept multiples of a lot of his work from back in the day. 2. He considered John Severin to be a quintessential professional and given he was a huge admirer of his style, had no qualms with his work essentially "becoming" Severin's based on the manner in which Severin would ink his art during their Hulk run together. 3. He was a fan of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. He noted that a lot of people tend to forget Wolvie is at heart a human being with healing powers who's then enhanced via governmental experimentation, but that in his view, Jackman convincingly conveys that humanity along with the innate inner fury in the various films.

IMG_3376.jpg

Anyhow, unfortunately my day was cut short because I left the convention hall mid-afternoon to look for a working bank machine, but then couldn't get back in due to the lineup. I did manage to pick up a few books including a nice midgrade copy of Amazing Adult Fantasy 12 from Harley Yee (I believe the one he's still listing on eBay...!) - and might I just say Harley also came across as a really nice, pleasant, helpful guy. Despite having tons of attention at his booth, he still took time to point me in the right directions for certain things and answer questions I had.

Here's the book:

ECOMICS028.jpg

So that's my report in a large nutshell. Again, I hope to meet some of you guys in person down the road sometime soon!

Stan Sakai is such a nice guy,wish I could get a sketch done from him.
You'd love the sketch my friend had done this past week-end. I'll have him scan it and I'll post it in my thread.

It's awesome. USAGI on one side with GROO (drawn by SERGIO) on the another side facing off in a sword fight. It's inked too... :cloud9:

Stan Sakai is such a nice guy,wish I could get a sketch done from him.
You'd love the sketch my friend had done this past week-end. I'll have him scan it and I'll post it in my thread.

It's awesome. USAGI on one side with GROO (drawn by SERGIO) on the another side facing off in a sword fight. It's inked too... :cloud9:

I would like to see that,thanks. :applause:

I think it's great that Stan Lee is still doing appearances at con's.

I am sure Stan Lee charged his appearance fee (roughly $40k) to attend a comicon in the far away land of Canada. The promoters just have to balance the increase in attendance, be able to charge more for admission, and sell out of dealers tables to breakeven. :headbang:

Seems to me that if you're going to wear a skintight, "sexy" outfit, you'd want to work your abs first:

IMG_3381.jpg

If you're talking about the one on the right, I'm thinking it looks like a baby bump. Awful young looking, though (although that might be the old fogey in me coming out).