• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just found out the JLA #1 I bought on ebay is restored!

45 posts in this topic

eek. i hope eBay can fix resolve the situation for you. :wishluck: but please remember that you should never buy a RAW comic on eBay over $100, especially a key.

+1

Unless of course you know the seller. And never buy from someone who states " no returns accepted". Run as fast as you can.

DR.X

You roll the dice you take your chances. I talked this guy and he is definitely not smart enough think of a scam as complex as buying restored CGC books, taking them out, and selling them as as unrestored. I don't think he really understood the concept of a restored book let alone the effect of it's market value. He thought I was making all this up because I had buyers remorse. Well I actually didn't until I got the screening result. He advertised the book as a 6-7 which shows how little he understands grading more than his attempt to misrepresent the book, otherwise he shouldn't have shown the back cover. He was asking something crazy for it. I decided to give him a lowball offer, and told him he was not going to get anything close to what he was asking. He didn't even counter and took it. When the book arrived it looked a little worse on the back than I saw, but the front cover actually looked better. Even as low grade as it was, it was still a JLA #1 and I paid less than market value for it (or so I thought). I still buy raw books all the time on ebay and actually seek out these type of sellers because i've got a couple amazing deals that way. I bought a showcase #22 for $550 that came back as a clean 4.5! This was an auction and the listing was so badly done and the person was not a regular seller, and most of the stuff she sold were not comic books (I still check back to see if she has put something else as good as that, but so far nothing that is worth bidding on). That was a risk because I still didn't have the possibility of restored books on my radar (I collected since I was 7 and spent every spare quarter on comics until I started spending it on beer at college). I still added to my collection but not regularly, and in those days there was no CGC and I bought from my favorite comic shop as a kid, Fat Jacks, in philly, when it was the kind of place you could smack down $3 (not an easy thing for me to do since it meant I could get 12 comics from the 25 cent shelves) for a nice single digit JLA. I remember looking up at awe at the Flash #105 up on the wall that was taunting me with it's unaccessible price tag of some insane amount like $30-$50. I didn't start collecting with a passion again until I came back from living in Europe almost 2 years ago, and decided to look through my old collection which my parents had lugged around with them for the last 15+ years or so and spent their time in closets not seeing the light of day until I got this urge to take a look at what I had. That was all it took and I started to buy like crazy again. I just started to find such useful forums recently, and discover how much things had changed, mostly due to CGC. I'm a little more cautious now on ebay. I make sure upfront that they will refund a book that is found to be restored if its a book worth the effort of someone restoring it. I still like the thrill of stumbling across a potentially amazing deal with all the right signs (many of which are the same ones that buyers should avoid, and 90% after a couple minutes I see it is in fact to good to be true, but every once in a while I see some other signs that call out to me. I send out a message asking for more about the book, where it came from, why they are selling it. After the first message back it is almost always evident if I am dealing with an honest person. It's nothing specific but often just that when I get a response that has answers to all my questions and more (usually it's a money problem. Lost my job hate to sell these but have to pay the rent. Lot's of detail that shows they know enough about comics to realize they could get more money for it, but are willing to sell it for a huge discount because they need the money for x, y, or z asap or something really bad will happen, but sometimes I get a response back that just exudes honesty. Never quite the same or with such a full and thought out response to all my questions and the ones I hadn't even asked yet.. There are little hints of things, but there is no fully formed explantion or answers for all my questions. There is a feel of caution about describing details of their personal life to a stranger, but they tell me what they can and they never ever contact me again to ask if I am still interested. Ok I'm an addict. I can't help myself, trying to find that buried treasure. I've gotten burned less times than I should have out of luck, and maybe these subtle things and intuition are just excuses for the thrill of taking a chance.

If you've read this far, you are either very patient or bored.

You roll the dice you take your chances. I talked this guy and he is definitely not smart enough think of a scam as complex as buying restored CGC books, taking them out, and selling them as as unrestored. I don't think he really understood the concept of a restored book let alone the effect of it's market value. He thought I was making all this up because I had buyers remorse. Well I actually didn't until I got the screening result. He advertised the book as a 6-7 which shows how little he understands grading more than his attempt to misrepresent the book, otherwise he shouldn't have shown the back cover. He was asking something crazy for it. I decided to give him a lowball offer, and told him he was not going to get anything close to what he was asking. He didn't even counter and took it. When the book arrived it looked a little worse on the back than I saw, but the front cover actually looked better. Even as low grade as it was, it was still a JLA #1 and I paid less than market value for it (or so I thought). I still buy raw books all the time on ebay and actually seek out these type of sellers because i've got a couple amazing deals that way. I bought a showcase #22 for $550 that came back as a clean 4.5! This was an auction and the listing was so badly done and the person was not a regular seller, and most of the stuff she sold were not comic books (I still check back to see if she has put something else as good as that, but so far nothing that is worth bidding on). That was a risk because I still didn't have the possibility of restored books on my radar (I collected since I was 7 and spent every spare quarter on comics until I started spending it on beer at college). I still added to my collection but not regularly, and in those days there was no CGC and I bought from my favorite comic shop as a kid, Fat Jacks, in philly, when it was the kind of place you could smack down $3 (not an easy thing for me to do since it meant I could get 12 comics from the 25 cent shelves) for a nice single digit JLA. I remember looking up at awe at the Flash #105 up on the wall that was taunting me with it's unaccessible price tag of some insane amount like $30-$50. I didn't start collecting with a passion again until I came back from living in Europe almost 2 years ago, and decided to look through my old collection which my parents had lugged around with them for the last 15+ years or so and spent their time in closets not seeing the light of day until I got this urge to take a look at what I had. That was all it took and I started to buy like crazy again. I just started to find such useful forums recently, and discover how much things had changed, mostly due to CGC. I'm a little more cautious now on ebay. I make sure upfront that they will refund a book that is found to be restored if its a book worth the effort of someone restoring it. I still like the thrill of stumbling across a potentially amazing deal with all the right signs (many of which are the same ones that buyers should avoid, and 90% after a couple minutes I see it is in fact to good to be true, but every once in a while I see some other signs that call out to me. I send out a message asking for more about the book, where it came from, why they are selling it. After the first message back it is almost always evident if I am dealing with an honest person. It's nothing specific but often just that when I get a response that has answers to all my questions and more (usually it's a money problem. Lost my job hate to sell these but have to pay the rent. Lot's of detail that shows they know enough about comics to realize they could get more money for it, but are willing to sell it for a huge discount because they need the money for x, y, or z asap or something really bad will happen, but sometimes I get a response back that just exudes honesty. Never quite the same or with such a full and thought out response to all my questions and the ones I hadn't even asked yet.. There are little hints of things, but there is no fully formed explantion or answers for all my questions. There is a feel of caution about describing details of their personal life to a stranger, but they tell me what they can and they never ever contact me again to ask if I am still interested. Ok I'm an addict. I can't help myself, trying to find that buried treasure. I've gotten burned less times than I should have out of luck, and maybe these subtle things and intuition are just excuses for the thrill of taking a chance.

dude, if you're going to use that many words, please use some line breaks.

Haha. Well, you know those physicists - everything is one big long string with no breaks.

Can we get the cliffs notes of this text.

Sometimes taking a risk pays off. I like comics.

Sometimes taking a risk pays off. I like comics.

Think of it as free form stream of consciousness with lots of tangents that are somehow related and eventually return to the original idea much like the way I speak which drives my wife crazy as she doesn't have the patience to listen to the tangents that suddenly turn me on to a new but thematically or metaphorically linked memory subplot that may weave in and out of the main storyline often so severely that I don't even think I can figure out a seamless path back to the finale and short denouement which is immediately followed by a cold beer since the entire process is quite draining and musters up a mighty thirst.

I also like to avoid what I can consider violent and disturbing punctuation like the comma or period. Ouch see better just one long sentence to free the thoughts and let the sentence continue without any instructions to the reader on when to pause because there is no pause just an endless stream of interlinked vibrating strings interacting in at least a 13 dimensional space in which most of the dimensions are folded into each other to give the illusion of force and matter.

I trust that cleared things up.

Think of it as free form stream of consciousness with lots of tangents that are somehow related and eventually return to the original idea much like the way I speak which drives my wife crazy as she doesn't have the patience to listen to the tangents that suddenly turn me on to a new but thematically or metaphorically linked memory subplot that may weave in and out of the main storyline often so severely that I don't even think I can figure out a seamless path back to the finale and short denouement which is immediately followed by a cold beer since the entire process is quite draining and musters up a mighty thirst.

I also like to avoid what I can consider violent and disturbing punctuation like the comma or period. Ouch see better just one long sentence to free the thoughts and let the sentence continue without any instructions to the reader on when to pause because there is no pause just an endless stream of interlinked vibrating strings interacting in at least a 13 dimensional space in which most of the dimensions are folded into each other to give the illusion of force and matter.

I trust that cleared things up.

yourefreakinmeout . . .

So you mentioned this insufficiently_thoughtful_person is holding your 2nd purchase hostage correct? That should be something you can dispute via PP instead of a chargeback because you are still within your 45 days correct?

When it comes to finally having to ship the item back you should swap the comic inside the cover to something else. I am thinking something with Batman and the Joker. If Metro can ship comics out like that so can you. :)

So you mentioned this insufficiently_thoughtful_person is holding your 2nd purchase hostage correct? That should be something you can dispute via PP instead of a chargeback because you are still within your 45 days correct?

When it comes to finally having to ship the item back you should swap the comic inside the cover to something else. I am thinking something with Batman and the Joker. If Metro can ship comics out like that so can you. :)

Actually just today I finally got the signed letter from him that I need to sign and give to UPS to allow them to release the package to me. I think after I explained and copied and highlight the relevant portion of the huge explanation of ebay buyer and seller protection (mostly explaining the numerous circumstances in which it doesn't apply and highlighting the part that he did not seem to understand:

Relationship between eBay Buyer Protection and other resolution methods (PayPal Buyer Protection, protection programs offered by other payment providers, and credit card/debit card chargebacks)

The eBay resolution process is the primary avenue for settling issues with on-eBay transactions. However, buyers will still have the option to continue with the PayPal system instead, or to file a chargeback if they paid using a credit card. Once a buyer selects a system (eBay, PayPal, another payment provider, or chargeback) they are required to use that system for the duration of the case.

Here are the basic principles behind how eBay manages the resolution process between eBay, PayPal, and chargebacks:

eBay Buyer Protection is the primary program for settling issues with eBay transactions

No double consequences for sellers, and no double refunds for buyers

Chargebacks override all other disputes

Chargebacks

Chargebacks filed on an eBay transaction will close all cases opened with eBay or PayPal.

If a seller loses a chargeback after they reimburse eBay for an eBay Buyer Protection seller unresolved case, they may appeal the eBay Buyer Protection decision by providing evidence of the lost chargeback through the eBay Resolution Center within 45 days of when the chargeback was filed. If the appeal is resolved in the seller's favor, the seller will be refunded the reimbursement amount.

I think he finally realized he can't hide behind ebay's protection and that just by writing no refunds on his listing doesn't actually hold as much weight in a case like this as he thought. He sent the letter (via email) after I explained to him that I would be forced to open another chargeback claim on the indisputable basis that I never received the item I paid for. Ebay really covers its rear have you taken the time to read the "Terms, conditions and full details of eBay Buyer Protection" And you think my posts are confusing. I dare anyone who isn't a lawyer to read that entire thing.