• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just found out the JLA #1 I bought on ebay is restored!

45 posts in this topic

I just got the screening results from Mark Nelson at Classics Incorporated. The JLA #1 I bought on ebay is restored! (notes: tear seals and color touch to cover). I contacted the person I bought it from and I got a one sentence answer: "there is a no refund policy on the item listing as i mentioned before." I sent a lengthy calm response explaining why this was not acceptable and how this could destroy his reputation as a seller if he was not willing to take responsibility for selling restored books that were not advertised as such. This guys has been a headache from day 1. Any advice on how to handle this. The 45 days period of paypal protection is over. I requested a charge back from the credit card company i paid with. they were surprisingly helpful.

good luck with the refund and good thing you used a cc

there were some red flags, gambler

1.very low feedback as a seller

2.tiny pics taken at an angle

3.front and back cover pics taken in the bag

4.the description is classic

"theres a justice leage of america movie coming out in 2012, and its going to be a massive hit, its going to have all of the legends in it! batman! superman! green lantern!! flash!! the whole league! (by the way in the first pic on flash youll see a shiny wave, that is NOT on the comic its just the refllection of light on the mylar sleeve!) grab this high grade gem before the movie comes out, and the value of this comic will sky rocket, epic."

I know and his insane grading of 6.0-7.0. If it seems too good to be true....

Although I have made some other buys from sellers with 2 or 3 feedbacks,, and that looked as if they had put the listing up in 3 minutes. Turned it really was old woman selling her husbands collection with no clue as to the value or how to present them. She used the phrase "in good shape" which to her meant a totally different thing than collectors, so not many people bothered to look let alone bid when in fact they were in "good shape" which to someone who knows nothing about grading converts to the eye appeal of a 6+. So maybe this is Karma payback for taking advantage of an old woman by paying ridiculously low prices for her husbands great books?

eek. i hope eBay can fix resolve the situation for you. :wishluck: but please remember that you should never buy a RAW comic on eBay over $100, especially a key.

Every time I look at my F+ Hulk 181 I am thankful that it showed up with the value stamp intact because the Ebay seller never specified - and I wasn't paying enough attention to ask. In my defense, I was new to buying comics on Ebay.

Back to the topic: that really bites - and it sounds like the only chance for it to shake out well is if the credit card company goes to bat for you and gets your money back.

The credit card company is going to bat for me. They already refunded me based on what I told them since will assign an investigator to determine if I did not get receive what I paid for, and then it's going to come out of his pocket if they do. I explained it this way so they could understand it on the level of a comic book. I said it's like buying a piece or art or an antique collectable. If someone has tried to make the item look likes it's in better shape in order to sell it for a higher price it is basically fraud. Modern restoration destroys the value and historical integrity of the piece. I have a document from a highly regarded company that has experts in detecting restoration that states the item I purchased is not fully authentic.

What will his counter argument be? He didn't know it was restored? Well that does not take the burden of refunding me away once I have provided clear evidence. If I was relying on ebay it would be a different story, but credit card companies are much more aggressive about such things for their customers, especially when I have documented proof. Maybe he'll claim that it could have been another copy of the same issue that was reported on. Well that work either since they took scans on arrival and there are very distinguishing features to match the scans tot the images he posted on ebay. So how else could he find a way out of this? Oh, he could say that I did the restoration after he sent them. That won't fly, makes no sense for me to do that, and now that I look closely at the back cover photos on ebay I can see the signs of the tear seals.

I think I got this guy. He is going to wish he had given me a refund (and tried to peddle it to someone who didn't know their consumer rights) this is going to be such a headache for him

I just got an email from him, and yes i was right he said "how do I know it wasn't done in your possession?" I explained too him the proof I had, and gave him one last chance to do this the right way. This will not be pleasant for him. The credit card company is going to contact his bank, Pay Pal will send them after the account he transferred the money to. I doubt this will be very good for his credit rating, and I'm sure there will be fees from both ends. The credit card company contacted me again, they were very reassuring that if I provided the official documents that shows that the item I purchased was indeed found to restored when this was not disclosed to me then I have a legal right to a refund. In any case. I've got my money back in full, and since he has decided to do this the hard way it looks like I get to keep the book. Anyone interested in a cheap restored copy of JLA #1? I'm really curious to get it back and take a good look at it to see if I can spot the restoration.

Working for a major cc company I can say you got a provisional credit to your account. After the investigation is over it will be determined if you get to keep it or not. I'm sure you will win as the dispute department will do its due dilligence and try and contact the seller/ paypal. I see too many people upset that they are charged back the money to their account after an investigation is over when they thought they got their money back.

Also if you spoke to a rep not the actual dispute department. They have a form they fill out and pretty much anything other than a few words beyond not as discribed will not fit in that form no matter how much you explain something. Reps on the phone want short explainations as their job is more or less get you off the phone as soon as possible and sell you another product. The longer you talk the more the rep is hurt.

Just wanting to educate the masses.

Working for a major cc company I can say you got a provisional credit to your account. After the investigation is over it will be determined if you get to keep it or not. I'm sure you will win as the dispute department will do its due dilligence and try and contact the seller/ paypal. I see too many people upset that they are charged back the money to their account after an investigation is over when they thought they got their money back.

Also if you spoke to a rep not the actual dispute department. They have a form they fill out and pretty much anything other than a few words beyond not as discribed will not fit in that form no matter how much you explain something. Reps on the phone want short explainations as their job is more or less get you off the phone as soon as possible and sell you another product. The longer you talk the more the rep is hurt.

Just wanting to educate the masses.

Good info, thanks !

I just got an email from him, and yes i was right he said "how do I know it wasn't done in your possession?" I explained too him the proof I had, and gave him one last chance to do this the right way. This will not be pleasant for him. The credit card company is going to contact his bank, Pay Pal will send them after the account he transferred the money to. I doubt this will be very good for his credit rating, and I'm sure there will be fees from both ends. The credit card company contacted me again, they were very reassuring that if I provided the official documents that shows that the item I purchased was indeed found to restored when this was not disclosed to me then I have a legal right to a refund. In any case. I've got my money back in full, and since he has decided to do this the hard way it looks like I get to keep the book. Anyone interested in a cheap restored copy of JLA #1? I'm really curious to get it back and take a good look at it to see if I can spot the restoration.
The book is still worth something. How much do you want?

I'm thinking as part of the solution in order for you to get your refund AND KEEP IT you may have to provide documentation you sent the comic back to the seller. Even if it's proved the seller did sell you a restored book, and it most certainly looks that way as a condition of the refund they may insist you return the book to the seller. So, don't be too quick to sell this thing until after it's determined you get to keep the cash.

Also, there's something about credit card companies being unwilling or unable to get involved in a disputes once it's over 90 days. You may be ok here because it's not past 90 days...but I am concerned they may all of a sudden sing a different tune once the 90 days hits and decide they can no longer get involved in this dispute because it is over 90 days. That may not kick in because the dispute has already started...but just saying..be carefull...as it's not over until you get to keep your money...and I don't think that's been determined yet...has it?

Yes that's how it was explained to me. It is a provisional reimbursement for my claim that the I did not receive what I paid for. Maybe I got lucky because the woman I talked to was very patient and got it (not an easy thing to explain, in fact she said she had to write out a lot of the details into the file since the normal multiple choice yes/no form questions were not very enlightening. In any case, I didn't get what I ordered basically sums it up. I'm sure I will be asked to send the book back if the decision is in my favor. If so I'm sure we'll be seeing it pop back up on ebay at some point.

I actually have a second dispute against him (I bought 2 items from him not shipped together). I don't have the energy to explain it, but it makes him look even worse. As he is basically refusing to send me the book I paid for, and before I called the cc company he basically threatened to keep my money and never send it because I kept insisting on a refund for the restored book! If this is not a case I can win (and buyers usually have the benefit of the doubt I understand in these cases) given his actions or lack of I would be very surprised. But as you said I'm not counting on that money until it is finally settled.