• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chucky's Grail is Up for Sale!

33 posts in this topic

Didn't he orginally try to sell this on his own for 1 million fairly recently?

I wouldn't give him a mill for it even if he ran it under one of his 60% off keyword blowouts. :screwy:

He might have waited too long to sell this book. I honestly don't think it's as appreciated as it may have been a few years back (shrug)

You might be right.

Two years ago at the SDCC he had these displayed,with a 100K price tag. :roflmao:

065.jpg

Agreed, but whatever he makes on it is pure profit as I'd guess that he's recovered his out of pocket on this collection a few times over.

Probably. ;)

I don't think esoteric golden age comics are a very good investment going forward. Prices have been ramped up too high and demand is diminishing.

I'm far from an expert, but I tend to agree too.

It's a very rare book and it's very pretty and... who the heck cares about Red Raven? I know it's Joe Simon, I know he got a solo book before Cap. But... who cares?

That's not to diminish the beauty of the book, or the respect many of us have for the history. But I can't imagine there are more than a couple people in the world who really would pay a lot for a book like this. Most would be willing to spend much more on a far more common book with an iconic character.

But I could be wrong.

So is he admitting defeat by selling it through Heritage? hm

I thought that him selling the remainder of the Mile High collection through Heritage had something to do with the loan for their new warehouse. In one of his newsletters he talks about the bank requiring he auction that stuff as part of the deal.

So is he admitting defeat by selling it through Heritage? hm

I thought that him selling the remainder of the Mile High collection through Heritage had something to do with the loan for their new warehouse. In one of his newsletters he talks about the bank requiring he auction that stuff as part of the deal.

That, or it was for health issues hm

It was the warehouse deal. He says so in one of his newsletters.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/newsletter/072011.html

At long last, I can finally reveal all that has been transpiring in the background at Mile High Comics over the past 30 days. I'll start by drawing attention to the attached flyer from Heritage Auctions that is a part of this newsletter. As it clearly shows, I have consigned all of my remaining comics from the Mile High/Edgar Church collection into the November Heritage auction. As those of you who know me well are already aware, giving up my RED RAVEN #1 and my complete set of 1940's SPIRIT comics was something that I said that I would never do. Simply put, however, life's circumstances left me with no choice. Once we were served in May with eviction papers from our former Fox St. warehouse, I had no choice but to quickly find us a new home.

Returning to my explanation of recent events, the only way that I was able to raise the necessary down payment money was to commit not only my personal Mile High/Edgar Church comics into the November Heritage auction, but also all of the highest grade comics from the complete Marvel collection that purchased in New Jersey in May. These two commitments required me to first fly home to Colorado and strip out my safe deposit boxes of all of my remaining comics, Edgar Church art, and even my collection of vintage posters that Edgar Church collected in the 1920's.

So you know, the items that I committed into the November Heritage auction should sell for vastly more than what I needed for my down payment. Being very cautious, however, Heritage was not going to advance me my down payment funds unless I could show coverage of several multiples of the amount that I needed. While this requirement forced me to sell even some of my most beloved items from my personal collection, this also means that we should, if all goes well, be receiving a very large settlement from Heritage at the end of this year. Presuming that occurs, I will be able to put Mile High Comics into fantastic financial shape going into 2012. Given the stresses and travails that we have gone through this year, finally being back on firm footing will be an incredibly blessed relief.

Someone at Heritage...or multiple someones....doesn't like Chuck.

He is noted as "the original purchaser", and not mentioned by name.

In coins, prestigious owners of famous coins are frequently mentioned, and can even attain label status (ie Eliasberg, Norweb, Jack Lee, etc.)

Love him or hate him, Chuck Rozanski has sealed his very prominent place in comics history, and he has earned the right to be mentioned by name, assuming he didn't ask not to be mentioned, which wouldn't make much sense.

meh