• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Ideas?

8 posts in this topic

So, the debate recently on the boards made me think to myself about all this stuff.

I identified a few things.

Some people like to have certification of the art they buy, which is what the Signature Series supplies, in addition to preservation.

Others think its much better to get OA or commissions. (I like all 3!)

Sketch covers suck sometimes in regards to inks and color (I agree... Image United)

Well there is the option to grade sketches. And I am relatively new here but has anyone offered a sketch opp on boards before? What I thought up was offering some sketches on some custom made art boards, sized at the normal comic size.

Anyone love or hate the idea? Interest you?

It's not bad, I've seen it done for fundraisers.

img835.jpg

I used to know the guy that got these done. He would go to shows, get them sketched, and then sell them on eBay to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis. He always let the artists know what he was doing up front so there were no hard feelings. He picked that charity because his child has CF. I've never seen any slabbed, though.

Encapsulation is only $15, plus shipping.

I think it is a good idea. However, I wouldn't do it personally for the same reason I prefer the backing boards and do not get blanks. I just want the art to stand out.

Nowadays, even the full art boards have blueline DC or Marvel logos on them when you buy OA direct from the artist at a con. You can probably make your own smaller version for any artist and CGC would encapsulate it. Their job is simply to certify the authenticity of the artwork.

Authenticity seems to keep coming up in these discussions. I like encapsulation for this reason but the reality is that it will only be an issue for me when selling. It is incredibly rare for me to sell any of my art and generally, I will only let an item go if I have what I consider to be (remember, it's all subjective) a superior item from the same artist.

In the thread "Why Sketch Covers?" someone pointed out that if an artist is good enough to fake a David Finch or Jim Lee sketch, why not just become a published artist themselves? While this is true in the current market, what will the future hold? We've lost several quality artists over the last year or two and while I hope that this streak has reached its end for some time, one never knows. A fake Finch or a Lee sketch will still bring nice money, but what if there were no chance of these men drawing another? The way I see it, while it may seem frivolous to slab these sketches now, it may be an invaluable "seal of authenticity" in the future.

For the artists that can't be slabbed such as Gil Kane, Bob Kane, Joe Shuster, Jack Kirby, and the like, the authenticity of sketches are generally a matter of opinion. I'm fine with that, but even experts disagree from time to time. With CGC, this question is removed.

On top of that, if something were to happen to me and my wife were left with this colossal pile of stuff, she would be able to easily identify the artist and list the art. She could list them on eBay and there's no worry about where or when I got the sketch either.