• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WISH ME LUCK!!! CGC HERE THEY COME!!!

49 posts in this topic

If you're not getting them slabbed to resell, you're totally wasting your money. Oops, I think my advice is a little late... foreheadslap.gif

Well, it's like this:

If you have something of value that can be damaged easily, specially comic books, and you have NO idea what they are worth, how they grade, and/or you don't live anywhere when you can get them appraised the cost of getting them CGC'd for a collection like mine is worth the money.

If my collection is sitting here in the house and the house burns down, they are stolen in a burglary, soaked from a broken pipe or flood etc. etc. etc. I will be able to say **BAMM** this is the replacement value of my collection. Sitting around with them in bags it is hard to explain replacement value on books I am "guessing" on.

It is peace of mind, they will be very well protected and yes...if some day I become so hard up for money that I ( or my son...the recipient of these books ) they could be turned for a handsome profit.

Plus, I have "guessed" for 25 years about the "value and grade" of my books, now I will know. Besides, I just really want to do it. grin.gif

Most telling quote right there? "Besides, I just really want to do it." lol! Pure fanboy!

Remind your son that the books need to be reslabbed every 7 years! 893whatthe.gif

What did P. T. Barnum say? Was it "Fool and his money soon parted" or "Sucker born every minute"??

Remind your son that the books need to be reslabbed every 7 years! 893whatthe.gif

Seriously, does anyone on these boards really plan to reslab every 7 years, or ever, just because this is what CGC is rumored to have recommended? And for those who plan to do so, did you also always color within the lines in grade school just because your teachers told you to? crazy.gif

Alright you guys...my comics start heading out tomorrow to CGC for grading. I took all of your advice and am submitting my Uncanny X-men #1 - #150 20 books at a time.

I have three boxes going out tomorrow:

Box #1: I am using my 3 Free Express Coupn for 2 Giant Size X-men #1 and X-men #94

Box #2: I have X-men #95 - #114

Box #3: I have X-Men #115 - #134

If all goes well, my next batach will be:

Box #4: X-men #1 - #10 & #135 - #144

Box #5: X-men #11 - #29

WISH ME LUCK!!!!!

Good luck thumbsup2.gif You should have your moderns back in about 2 months, and I can tell you from my own experience, it will feel like X-Mas time when you are opening that box.

What did P. T. Barnum say? Was it "Fool and his money soon parted" or "Sucker born every minute"??

That is kinda harsh don't you think? You don't know me.

If you see someone who has the money to do something he wants to do, it means something to me to do it, peace of mind, knowing the value and grade of my property...now I'm a fool. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not one of the "gurus" that know how to grade a book by myself so I want to have it done.

I think the protection is much better than bagging and boarding.

The value of the books is MUCH better as a CGC book if there ever was the need or the want to sell.

It's my money and I feel it will significantly improve the value of my books...

now I'm a fool. frown.gif

Good luck thumbsup2.gif You should have your moderns back in about 2 months, and I can tell you from my own experience, it will feel like X-Mas time when you are opening that box.

Hell yeah, I can't wait. grin.gif

Steve ,

Dont worry bout those nay sayers.

If you want to slab every book in your collection.. go for it.

Whose to say how we spend our money, or what is important to each of us.

If getting back your run slabbed ..... brings you a smile, and a sence of geek satisfatction.

Then it was money well spent.

I for one think you cant go wrong getting them slabbed.

It is always a hard decision for me to spend my limited funds on more comics, or getting more slabbed.

Its a toss up, I want to do both.

So feel confident in your decision, and when your books come back, please share with us the results.

And if you want a custom wood box to put them in, send me a message, I am making a few new prototypes to hold CGC comics, 1 will be for upright CGC storage

and 1 will be for side storage.

Good luck

Kenny

Did you try to grade the books that you are sending out?

Especially the two Giant Size X-Men #1 and #94 that are express submits. You will get them back in two to three weeks, so that might help you determine how other books are going to come back. Obviously, if you thought they were all Near Mint's (9.4) and they come back Very Fine's (8.0), that might have an effect on which other issues would be worth grading (obviously most of the first 30 issue are worth grading anyway).

Good Luck and post the grades (and the page quality) as soon as you find out. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Good luck Cat, may you get excellent grades....

I'll tell you, when that box comes back, it is very exciting to open it and discover what the grades are....

"I am submitting my Uncanny X-men #1 - #150"

Why bother sending in # 67 - 93?

Well, they do sell like hotcakes when I have them, and they're IMPOSSIBLE to find in high grade, especially the 25 cent squareound issues. Also, the later 20 cent "windowbox" covers, like this one:

xmen76.jpg

are pretty cool.

Did you try to grade the books that you are sending out?

Especially the two Giant Size X-Men #1 and #94 that are express submits. You will get them back in two to three weeks, so that might help you determine how other books are going to come back. Obviously, if you thought they were all Near Mint's (9.4) and they come back Very Fine's (8.0), that might have an effect on which other issues would be worth grading (obviously most of the first 30 issue are worth grading anyway).

Good Luck and post the grades (and the page quality) as soon as you find out. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I agree here. I was off on my first submission by about 33% of the time (and thus 33% of the submissions were a "learning experience"). Try and get a feel for how CGC grades FIRST, before sending large lots. And, if you do send large lots, use the pregrade feature so you aren't paying money for lower grade (and thus lower worth) comics.

Good look on the submits, I'm rooting for ya. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

"I am submitting my Uncanny X-men #1 - #150"

Why bother sending in # 67 - 93?

Well, they do sell like hotcakes when I have them, and they're IMPOSSIBLE to find in high grade, especially the 25 cent squareound issues. Also, the later 20 cent "windowbox" covers, like this one:

xmen76.jpg

are pretty cool.

Gil Kane! Man you gotta love 'em.!

TTH2 I agree. In 7 years I may reslab but I'll probably hold off on that for a few years more. However, I have a feeling that the casing CGC uses 7 years from now will make us look back and wonder why they ever used the current format. I still think they should encase comics in an air and water tight container, but I guess that's bad for repeat submission business? I would pay more bucks if I could get them sealed up nice and tight.

Isnt there a reason for not airtight?

I cant remember, but in past threads.

It had something to do with letting the comics breath.

Hence the open sides.

But if that is so.

Then why encased inside so well?

is that airtight?

thoughts to ponder.

Zeman

With apologies to Shelley.....

Borockmandias

I met a traveller from an antique land

Who said: "Two vast and empty slabs of plastic

Stand in the desert.

Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk, a tattered label lies, whose faded,

And wrinkled surface, and colorless border,

Tell that its grader judged those contents which now exist as dust

And survive not, once date-stamped on these long gone pages.

The hand that held them, and the eye that read.

And on the label these words appear:

'My name is Borock, Lord of Grades:

Look on my product, ye mighty, and despair!'

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Steve, I just opened my first box of CGC books today!!!! Man, I felt like a kid again, what a great experience. Good luck on your grades!!! thumbsup2.gif

that's what I'm talking about....I can't wait!

Steve , Don’t worry bout those nay sayers.

Yea, it did kinda [!@#%^&^] me off...who gives a rip if I'm a ad just want all my books CGC'd...but apparently it does make some people mad/jealous/upset/whatever wink.gif

...if you thought they were all Near Mint's (9.4) and they come back Very Fine's (8.0), that might have an effect on which other issues would be worth grading (obviously most of the first 30 issue are worth grading anyway).

Exactly, I can do some amateur grading of my other books, I know what I "think" my books were...when they come back graded, I'll know how much of a I am. grin.gif

I'll tell you, when that box comes back, it is very exciting to open it and discover what the grades are....

Heh...I can't wait.

"I am submitting my Uncanny X-men #1 - #150" Why bother sending in # 67 - 93?
]

Honestly? Because I am getting my whole collection graded. I know they are reprint stories, but they are part of the whole run, I am CGC'ing my collection. To the avid collector, it doesn't make sense...but to the other 99% of the population it is just what you would do. Alone, the books between 67 - 93 top out at $60 - $75, BUT the collection #1 through 350 is worth HELLA more as a whole.

Following your line of thinking...why even collect them at all...let alone CGC them. wink.gif

Good luck on your submissions Steve. Please post them when you get them.

I will post the grades when I get them back....I'm psyched, but anything over an 8.5 would make me happy (trying not to get my hopes up).