• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staples

6 posts in this topic

You can get up to a 5.0/5.5 maximum on a blue label with the cover detached.

If the book is 6.0 or higher, it's going to get a green label.

That's kinda the ballpark, I may be off a grade or so. Someone please correct me if you know of a blue label in a higher grade with the cover completely detached.

The highest blue label that I recall seeing with a completely detached cover is 4.0, but maybe I missed seeing some higher graded copies, if you are anyone else has seen any as high as 5.0/5.5 (it wouldn't shock me, I just don't recall seeing one)...

If a book is otherwise, say, a 9.4, it's my understanding that you could ask CGC to slab it with a green label and get a 9.4 (if that's the grade CGC thinks it would get if not for the cover being completely detached), or a significantly lower blue label grade (probably somewhere below 6.0, regardless of how nice it otherwise appears).

How about the potential grade ranges on nice books only detached at 1 staple and not both? Honestly, I don't remember seeing higher than 4.0 for a fully detached comic either?

I don't know the potential grade ranges on nice books only detached at 1 staple, primarily because on more recently graded books I don't think CGC includes a note on the label for them, if they're graded with a blue label, like CGC seems to do for books that are detached at both staples. That's what I've gathered anyway...

If I had to wager a guess, I would think that books detached at 1 staple might cap out at a 6.0 or so for a blue label, if they're otherwise very nice, but that's purely a guess...

Stickied at the top of the restoration section is a report on this subject.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4421055#Post4421055

Great work zzutak did on green and blue labels and shows books with one detached staples getting up to a 7.5 and both detached a 4.0.