• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New England Area

27 posts in this topic

Hey everyone.

My wife and I will be heading down to Central Valley (Woodbury) NY (she wants to shop!), New Haven CT, Providence RI, Boston MA, Salem MA, Cape Cod, maybe into NH, etc. in mid-October for an 8-day day-tripping vacation.

We're sticking pretty much to the coastline.

The only place we're not is we are crossing the Canadian border at Kingston/Gananoque Ontario so we'll be hitting Syracuse, Utica and Albany on the way down to New Haven and back the same way.

Instead of using the Comic Book Locator, I'd like some good advice from my fellow Boardies on where some good comic shops are within this large area I just mentioned above. We do not plan on going into New york City so please, nothing in NYC.

If Woodbury is your first destination, everything else is moot because your wife will find a way to spend everything there.

Yeah we're hitting Woodbury on the Sunday.

If there's any coin left after this excursion, it's gonna go to comics!

Or a Bruins hockey game on the Thursday.

Too bad the Habs weren't in town....then again, I'd probably get lynched wearing a Habs jersey in Beantown.

Well, back from our Southern New England trip!

We stayed in Branford CT the first two nights (Saturday Sunday).

Took 14 hours to drive there from good ol' Northern Ontario Canada via Gananoque border crossing.

On Sunday, we went to Woodbury Premium Outlet Mall (middle of nowhere, is that ever strange) in NY and picked up a Sony Home Theatre System for $144, dropped a G-Note on clothes and other stuff, yikes.

Ate at USS Chowder Pot III in Branford, good seafood, a bit too salty though.

Didn't get a chance to try that White Clam pizza, maybe next time

Monday we hit Yale in New Haven for a tour then drove eastward along the coast on Hwy 1A. Stopped in Watch Hill RI and checked out Ocean House Mansion....think we may stay there for a night or two next year, very luxurious.

Made it to Newport and did The Chateau-Sur-Mer and The Breakers Mansion tour.

I did the Biltmore house tour in Asheville NC years ago...didn't know the Vanderbilt's built both the Biltmore and the Breakers. Did the Cliff Walk and other stuff. Nice area. Drove up to Mansfield, MASS that night, stayed there for the next three nights.

Tuesday, we drove to Salem through Boston and did the Witch Walk and Cemetery tours.

After getting past all that vampire/ghost marketing , we got a real detailed tour of the actual history of the 20 "witch-trial" executions in Salem in the late 1600's along with other interesting tidbits of Salem history. Awesome stuff.

The only US comic shop I went to during the entire trip was Harrison's in Salem. Bought a few older SA books, staff was VERY helpful and courteous (the owner and a guy named Ryan).Had a lot of great stuff there. My wife actually bought a GN while we were in there browsing...maybe I'll get her hooked on comics someday....

Weather sucked Wednesday so we just went to the Taunton Premium Outlet Mall and pretty much nothing else....had no idea Gillette Stadium was that close to where we were staying. Dropped a boat-load of cash at the mall there as well.

Thursday we packed up and slowly made our way up to Utica NY via a zillion back roads. Hit places like N Adams (which I thought was Neal Adams but the N was short for North...darn). Quite a lot of scenic little towns in N Mass.

That evening we ate at Babe's in Utica and had the Riggy with hats...delicious!

Friday we headed to Pickering Ontario Canada for the evening, stayed there. Got through Customs with all our wares with no issues.

Stopped at Comic book Addiction in Whitby Ontario on the way, bought a few books there, met the owner, very nice guy. Had some really nice books there (including an X-Men #1). Almost bought a FLASH #123 but decided against it.

Drove home Saturday morning from Pickering (5-hour ride north).

Nice to be home.

Salt water fish and coral and the cats were still alive.

Wanted to do some whale-watching in Gloucester, check out Plymouth and Cape Cod but ran out of time. Maybe next year.

To all you Americans in the New England area...thank you for your hospitality and beautiful land, we'll be back!