• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cgc & comic shops

37 posts in this topic

A recent topic here with a guy having problems with submitting books through his lcs & having problems with it has made me wonder if anyone else has ever had any other similar type of problems with subbing through a lcs ?.. (shrug) anyone ?

I walked into one of my lcs's and asked if he had any slabbed books and he told me he never heard of that title and asked if it was DC or Marvel? I promptly walked out..

Is this an LCS that carries back issues? If not I'm guessing he heard the question out of context, if that's possible in this instance. Also, do our friends in Europe or England also refer to these as "slabs". Just curious as to how common this phrasing is overall.

why do you consider them to be good because they don't know about or deal with cgc books ? hm(shrug)

Because it was the advent of CGC and slabbing that drove me out of collecting and still, IMHO, ruins most of the fun that it used to be. I realize not everyone agrees. But it's nice to be in a place where you actually, y'know, touch the comic books. And make up your own mind about what grade something might be.

The slabs look cool though.

I walked into one of my lcs's and asked if he had any slabbed books and he told me he never heard of that title and asked if it was DC or Marvel? I promptly walked out..

Why would that offend you? ???

It didn't offend. I just didn't feel like explaining what a slabbed book was to the guy...you had to be there! :makepoint:

Sounds like he was just disappointed they didn't sell what he wanted to buy and realizing that, he decided to leave rather than engaging in a conversation as to why the shop owner should sell CGC books.

I hate when I find a new comic shop that I haven't visited before to discover that they deal mostly in new releases. When I ask if they sell back issues, I usually get directed to one or two long boxes of low grade overpriced late bronze/early copper books.

Nothing against those shop owners because the fact they sell comic books exclusively is the important thing to me. Gotta keep the hobby appealing to everyone and there are people that only like new books and trades.

I have two LCSs here in Baltimore that I frequent. One is for new stuff and the occasional deal on an older book and the other is exclusively for CGC and silver age stuff. They each have their focus.

...but to answer the original poster's question. I have not had a bad experience like the one you are referring to.

My first submissions were through my own membership taking advantage of the free grading deal they offer. Later, I started sending through the dealer because I had access to pressing if I wanted it, bulk shipping, exclusive signings, etc.

This particular dealer is very experienced in CGC and his service is top notch.

why do you consider them to be good because they don't know about or deal with cgc books ? hm(shrug)

Because it was the advent of CGC and slabbing that drove me out of collecting and still, IMHO, ruins most of the fun that it used to be. I realize not everyone agrees. But it's nice to be in a place where you actually, y'know, touch the comic books. And make up your own mind about what grade something might be.

I used to feel that exact same way a few years ago when I got back into collecting until I started to find out just how much manipulation was being done to deceive the unsuspecting buyer for the sake of money.

Being unaware and untrained in detecting restoration, I quickly learned the value of CGC.

I don't mind restored books... just please let me know about it so I can make an informed purchase!

So I don't feel like it was CGC that took the fun out of collecting... to me it was the profiteering that did.

I think CGC just changed the way the game is played.

As for LCS's and submitting books... I would rather just save up the $100 to join and get the 3 free subs! :)

If the dealer doesn't even know about slabs, though, that's not exactly a confidence builder.

CGC = a good thing.... relatively consistent grades, restoration check, better protection for shipping (arguable), easier to track recent prices....

Bad Grading

Bad Dealers

Undisclosed restoration = a bad thing..

Exactly. I get that buyers should be resposible for educating themselves, but they also shouldn't be expected to be an expert Rick from Pawn Stars would call in just to collect high end comics.

that does not necessarily mean anything - s/he may know, but is upset about HOW the new game of comics is being dealt.

I ran into MANY unhappy dealers, here in S. California, who were enraged by both ebay and CGC being uttered in their little "kingdoms". The Torrance, CA dealer stands out forever. eBay user: Stampbearii. He used to be some big-shot stamp collector. Got run out of that hobby for things beyond the scope of this Thread, but then turned to comics. We saw him deliberately open up slabs and tried to "test" CGC to see if they could "catch" the one dot of black sharpie on an interior page. Should have seen the look on his face when CGC caught EVERY ONE he re-submitted! Priceless!!!

CAL who should look this clown up after 10 years or so...

If the dealer doesn't even know about slabs, though, that's not exactly a confidence builder.

CGC books probably represent less than 1% volume of books being sold in the larger market. They are extremely niche. We tend to forget that here in our little enclave.

CGC books probably represent less than 1% volume of books being sold in the larger market. They are extremely niche. We tend to forget that here in our little enclave.

FT with a post NOMINATED FOR POST OF THE YEAR.