• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics? Nah, let's talk real nerd stuff!

48 posts in this topic

Is this a growing hobby? Are there really an abundance of guys who can afford five and six figure collectibles that are into magic cards?

It's probably not something I would ever get into, although I was big into D&D as a kid in the '80s. But I am curious about the culture.

It is definitely a growing hobby with an age range of everything from 5-50. Most good tournament players are very down to earth normal guys who just enjoy a competitive and challenging game.

The expensive cards you're talking about are only played in one specific tournament format, and that format is rarely played. It's basically a different game than what most players participate in. When it is played the majority of tournament organizers allow up to 15 "proxies" to be used so you're probably only spending $200-$400 on a deck, and it's a deck you can use for the forseeable future because the cards never rotate.

I played a lot when I moved up to Minnesota. It's a great way to meet people when you're new in town.

I didn't make much money, but I did win a trip to Berlin to play in a Pro Tour in 2008.

This is a pretty accurate post. It's a pretty fun game (card board crack as my friends and I call it), I've been playing on/off since 1994 (on the pro tour circuit as well). Hasbro bought W.O.T.C. quite a few yrs ago, ever since then it's been selling strong. Most of my friends have moved on to poker for the $, but we all still play magic from time to time. Pick up a starter and have fun! (thumbs u

I havnt read any posts in this thread

Its still growing, the pro tour has a massive payout, 2 mil last i checked and it has probably gone up since. Its an incredibly fun and competitive game, especially at the pro level.

I worked at an LCS all through high school that was the NC pro tour qualifying spot. I was into it pretty hardcore around 95-99, i was ranked 2nd in NC in the junior division and was playing semi pro right after highschool.

As much as i loved the game, i couldnt stand the scene, i didnt quite fit in with the stereotype so transitioned into texas holdem. Believe it or not, MTG and TH are very very similar at there roots, and im still a card junkie to this day. Its also why the up and coming poker pros are x-magic players. I wish i could have transitioned as well as Chris Ivey lol .

It was Magic or whatever card game may have come before that that was popular at the mall when I was a kid. There was a dining area across the food court isolated by the video arcade that was always abandoned. It was the smoking section. Some card players kind of took the area over at one point. They were an older crowd, to my young eyes they looked college aged. I personally never got into the card games.

And yeah, they were nerds :insane:

Its still growing, the pro tour has a massive payout, 2 mil last i checked and it has probably gone up since. Its an incredibly fun and competitive game, especially at the pro level.

I worked at an LCS all through high school that was the NC pro tour qualifying spot. I was into it pretty hardcore around 95-99, i was ranked 2nd in NC in the junior division and was playing semi pro right after highschool.

As much as i loved the game, i couldnt stand the scene, i didnt quite fit in with the stereotype so transitioned into texas holdem. Believe it or not, MTG and TH are very very similar at there roots, and im still a card junkie to this day. Its also why the up and coming poker pros are x-magic players. I wish i could have transitioned as well as Chris Ivey lol .

Dang! And here I thought you seemed like a cool, beer and football kind of guy. :baiting:

I'll be hiding my nerd well at the dubstep show on the samurai patio until I'm too drunk to dance tonight.

I'll cya tomorrow at Bs? I'll be set up again.

Did you mean Phil Ivey?

Did you mean Phil Ivey?

lol yea, i also meant 'their' . Thanks. :blush:

Did you mean Phil Ivey?

lol yea, i also meant 'their' . Thanks. :blush:

I think you're thinking of David Williams. I don't think Phil Ivey was ever a Magic player.