• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To SS or NOT to SS that is the question

39 posts in this topic

I have in my possession a very high value book (Ulti Spidey wht CGC 9.8) the very 1st book I slabed and very proud of it. :banana: I should also point out, since itès an old book, it has the old blue grading label on it (you know, the one that has the small grade number on it, plus the old plastic cvr slab)

Another book is NYX #3 (also CGC 9.8)

This comming NYCC, a few of my friends are going, and as it turns out I can get the books SS by Quesada.

So my question is should I re-slabbed it to get SS ???

mod: if this is on the wrong forum, pls moved it as need, as i dont know where i should put it (shrug)

If you're going to sub them for SS I wouldn't do it for Quesada. Bendis and/or Bagley... yes. Whether or not you do is entirely up to you. If you're looking to sell and make a profit a Universal label is going to appeal to a larger customer base. There are those that just aren't into SS books. If you're looking to keep them then you have to decide for yourself if you want them signed or not. It's all a matter of personal preference.

If you're looking to sell and make a profit a Universal label is going to appeal to a larger customer base.

That is just not correct.

It's true that there are some people who can't stand SS books and won't buy any yellow label slabs whatsoever - but that's more than made up for by the people who collect SS books and who are perfectly willing to pay a premium for a signed books versus an un-signed one.

From a profit point of view, SS books win out pretty much every single time:

NYX #3 CGC 9.8 = 12 month GPA average is $167

NYX #3 CGC 9.8 SS = 12 month GPA average is $264

Ultimate Spider-Man #1 (Variant) CGC 9.8 = 12 month GPA average is $600

Ultimate Spider-Man #1 (Variant) CGC 9.8 SS = 12 month GPA average is $1,000

If you're looking to sell and make a profit a Universal label is going to appeal to a larger customer base.

It's true that there are some people who can't stand SS books and won't buy any yellow label slabs whatsoever - but that's more than made up for by the people who collect SS books and who are perfectly willing to pay a premium for a signed books versus an un-signed one.

What about the GPA on a SS in 9.6/9.4 like always there is potential for a downgrade when getting a siggy which must be considered when thinking about a signing.

:golfclap:

I think you may have misinterpreted my meaning. My point was that there are more people looking to buy Universals than SS, not that Universals sell for more.

I think you may have misinterpreted my meaning. My point was that there are more people looking to buy Universals than SS, not that Universals sell for more.

That's not necessarily correct either, though - a rare signature on a common book can attract buyers who'd normally never be interested in said book.

Look at the Alan Moore SS books, for instance - the fact that there was a signature on this V for Vendetta #9 in CGC 9.8 is the only reason it garnered 25 bids. And I'm willing to bet that most of those bids came from people who would have had zero interest in a blue label copy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110747097547

That's not necessarily correct either, though - a rare signature on a common book can attract buyers who'd normally never be interested in said book.

Look at the Alan Moore SS books, for instance - the fact that there was a signature on this V for Vendetta #9 in CGC 9.8 is the only reason it garnered 25 bids. And I'm willing to bet that most of those bids came from people who would have had zero interest in a blue label copy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110747097547

Leaving now... no interest in a debate over semantics. :hi:

Wow tons of reply....didn't know it was a "hot topic" among collectors. And knowing GPA prices really is interesting to say the least.....

I still don't know what to do??? For sure the NYX would get SS, but the ulti spidey.....hmmm that's a tough one.......

I do have another question though: I read somewhere, that when CGC was using the old label, the plastic was thicker and had more protection for the books, compared to the newer plastics. Is that true???