• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To SS or NOT to SS that is the question

39 posts in this topic

I would give a qualified no. I have no problem whatsoever with SS books, and understand the premium attached to them. However, I believe (and hoping someone has data to back this educated guess up) that the premium will in large part be dictated by who signs the book. Quite frankly, I do not see Quesada attaching a significant premium over and above the costs to reslab and the risk of downward grade movement. :shrug:

I love the SS, but Joe Q on those books wouldn't interest me as a collector. Its like getting a Stan Lee sig on a modern.

I tend to agree with you.... having Joe Q sign any marvel comics would be just a waste of ink.... however, Joe Q was credited as the writer for NYX mini series, PLUS (I believe) Joe Q did do the variant cover for Ult Spidey #1. So he did have some contribution to the books, rather than just being the editor

I also think that Stan Lee is saturating the market with his signatures. I was one of the crazy losers who brought some of his SS. About 10 yrs ago, I won a bid for Spidey 36 (I think)(it's the 911 commerative issue) CGC SS 9.6 Stan Lee and I thought "This man would'nt last 5 yrs at his age" So I bid crazy money on that issue ($350) and won. That was one of my biggest mistake. Ten yrs after his still alive and signing things like crazy :tonofbricks:

Personally not a fan of someone putting ink on my comic books.

Then don't get your comics signed. Personally, I think it's great

I think it's great, too. I have a couple SS books that I consider gems of my collection - but I don't think I would have an artist/writer/creator sign anything that valuable. Especially if you're doing it for the sole purpose of creating future value. I think SS people are in the minority, and if you're looking to make money, then you should probably leave it in the condition that garners the majority of attention and interest: unsigned and unscathed.

I love the SS, but Joe Q on those books wouldn't interest me as a collector. Its like getting a Stan Lee sig on a modern.

I tend to agree with you.... having Joe Q sign any marvel comics would be just a waste of ink.... however, Joe Q was credited as the writer for NYX mini series, PLUS (I believe) Joe Q did do the variant cover for Ult Spidey #1. So he did have some contribution to the books, rather than just being the editor

I also think that Stan Lee is saturating the market with his signatures. I was one of the crazy losers who brought some of his SS. About 10 yrs ago, I won a bid for Spidey 36 (I think)(it's the 911 commerative issue) CGC SS 9.6 Stan Lee and I thought "This man would'nt last 5 yrs at his age" So I bid crazy money on that issue ($350) and won. That was one of my biggest mistake. Ten yrs after his still alive and signing things like crazy :tonofbricks:

Does Stan sign a lot? Yes. Part of his fee goes to the Hero Initiative though so I hope he keeps signing. It's for a great cause.

I can understand wanting to get a raw book signed if that's what you are into. However, if you are lucky enough to have a book with a 9.8 grade, why put it back through the submission process and risk a lower grade even if the signature is a plus.

In addition to paying the fees again I don't think a SS 9.6 would be as good as a regular 9.8 book (if it does come back with a lower grade).

However, if you are lucky enough to have a book with a 9.8 grade, why put it back through the submission process and risk a lower grade even if the signature is a plus.

Because 93% of the time, the grade remains the same and you end up with something that's comparatively unique.

However, if you are lucky enough to have a book with a 9.8 grade, why put it back through the submission process and risk a lower grade even if the signature is a plus.

Because 93% of the time, the grade remains the same and you end up with something that's comparatively unique.

I am 97% certain you just yanked that 93% right out of yer azz. :whistle:

:whee:

Prove it.

Prove it.

No. Bite me.

Personally not a fan of someone putting ink on my comic books.

(thumbs u

I'm not into sigs at all.

I'm not usually a SS buyer myself, but I do buy some books in hopes of signage one day...like my first printing of 'Richard Bachman's' "Rage".

I would give a qualified no. I have no problem whatsoever with SS books, and understand the premium attached to them. However, I believe (and hoping someone has data to back this educated guess up) that the premium will in large part be dictated by who signs the book. Quite frankly, I do not see Quesada attaching a significant premium over and above the costs to reslab and the risk of downward grade movement. :shrug:

Can I get a pass for having George R R Martin sign his 'first published work'? He was just a fanboy at the time, sending a letter to indifferent editors when he was a teenager.

By Gumbo!

430a8da8.jpg

The yellow slabs are a great way to get an edge when it comes to registry points. Its a much better alternative than seeking out 9.9's if your intention is to be in the top of your particular run.

From a buyer perspective you want to pay a smaller premium versus when factoring in the cost of having to go out, find a blue label, than send it in for 3rd party crack/prep, signature, re-grading, shipping back to you.

I actually pulled a real nerd move and wrote an algo that will produce a recommended price to pay for a particular yellow 9.8 slab. It factors in the variables I mentioned above among some others including the potential downside risk of cracking your own 9.8 blue label and having it come back less.

There was an interesting experiment done by someone I know on here. Not sure if I should say the who and the what. Buy he basically had 17 9.8 blue labels and had them all cracked for yellow label subs. 14 came back yellow label 9.8's and 3 did not. That gives you an 82% success rate.

Paying for instant gratification with respect to high grade yellow label keys will also cost you. So far I have only made one spontaneous move or mistake if you will in terms of a price that I really probably did a tad too much.

But getting back on track to the OP's question. There already are some great points made in the thread for you to determine what is best for your particular slab. If you are going to keep this slab and not be worried about re-sale potential that makes your deliberation a bit more transparent.

One other talking point in this regard is where these yellow labels will be say 5 years from now in terms of census population. In other words right now, if you go to the census, many issues in yellow label 9.8 only have 1 or 2 and there are a bunch that sell for decent premiums in the secondary markets, actually huge premiums in auctions where it gets competitive. Allot of yellow labels though tend to have the BIN or B/O format. It goes without saying that the market is supply and demand driven and not as liquid as the blue label market.

But here is real world example. Go back maybe 2006 or 2007. At that time, one of the most popular copper keys is ASM 252 CGC 9.8 blue label. There was only a handful of those in yellow label then. They were selling for $1000+ easy and up to $1500.

Now there are over 70 yellow labels in the census and the price has come down 50%-60%. The only ASM 252 CGC 9.8 present day that demands a crazy premium in the secondary market is the double signed version with Stan Lee and Rob Frenz + Spidie head sketch or the Venom sketch. These are pretty scarce. But you will now find a bunch of them with single sigs be it Ron Frenz or Stan Lee solo.

Incidentally if anyone is looking at a 9.8 yellow label and wondering what a good price range is, feel free to shoot me a PM and I will enter your comic into my algo program and give you a number. Obviously if you are bidding against someone with a deep wallet and you both plan on beating each other up, that is a different story all together.

There are only so many WD #1 books out there from the get go and quite a few have been signed, thus shrinking the population of unsigned books. I feel everytime Kirkman or Moore or cast member ink another one, mine increase in both value and demand. I hope Kirkman scribbles on a 1000 copies in 2012 himself.

There are only so many WD #1 books out there from the get go and quite a few have been signed, thus shrinking the population of unsigned books. I feel everytime Kirkman or Moore or cast member ink another one, mine increase in both value and demand. I hope Kirkman scribbles on a 1000 copies in 2012 himself.

Ya, all reprints :gossip:

2640a456.jpg