• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Prototype" issues?

62 posts in this topic

If you don't think the guys at Atlas/Timely/Marvel were reusing and frankensteining bits and pieces of stories, art and characters together in a hodge podge fashion on the cheap and often on the fly, you weren't reading Atlas/Timely/Marvels, circa 1950's-1961.

And I say this as a fan of the books, the creators, and the company.

They were playing with ideas, until they stuck.

Some took a little longer than others (Spidey, Ant Man, Hulk), but they were all bright enough to know by then when they had winners on their hands. By '63, they weren't even bothering with prototypes any more.

And I mean "stuck with the Bullpen", not "stuck with the readers." Obviously, Spidey was a super smash hit with readers. Still took 'em 7 months to bring him back, and that's cause Stan and Co. weren't sure (with a strong dash of Goodman naysaying for good measure.)

I'm not sure what the original question is, but I like "prototype" books. This is from one of the few non-Batman books I own.

starr.jpg

I don't think there's much guessing who this character wounded up becoming :)

Please, everyone, keep the laughter to a minimum. What book is this from?

lol

Thaaaaaaanks......

:slapfight:

There was some book that Stan stole Thor from that was printed years before his first appearance for Marvel.

I don't remember the book or issue, but someone posted scans of the actual story.

Hard for Stan to deny it.

I'm not sure if this is the one you mean...

'The Magic Hammer'

That's it. :applause:

weird comics #1 from 1940 has a Thor that is much closer to the JIM 83 version. Ordinary human is given thor's hammer and power, etc.

Both Lee and Kirby would likely have seen that version.

The early golden age also saw a guy in a metal suit called Iron man. Not to mention characters called electro, the vision, magneto, daredevil, and many more. One of the earliest Centaur books (later, Timely), even had a villain called the Spider-man (with a hyphen)

weird comics #1 from 1940 has a Thor that is much closer to the JIM 83 version. Ordinary human is given thor's hammer and power, etc.

I didn't know about that version. Interesting reading. (thumbs u

Here's a link for comparison...

Golden Age Thor

I didn't know about that version. Interesting reading. (thumbs u

Here's a link for comparison...

Golden Age Thor

I've seen that one before, too. Good stuff. :applause:

There was some book that Stan stole Thor from that was printed years before his first appearance for Marvel.

I don't remember the book or issue, but someone posted scans of the actual story.

'The Magic Hammer'

The early golden age also saw a guy in a metal suit called Iron man. Not to mention characters called electro, the vision, magneto, daredevil, and many more. One of the earliest Centaur books (later, Timely), even had a villain called the Spider-man (with a hyphen)

By all means, please post some of these for us to see with our own eyes. :popcorn:

The only other GA character that I remember for now is The Comet, which I'm aware of through being a Jack Cole fan. Here's an article giving some background and describing the similarities with Cyclops of the X-Men...

'Golden Age Cyclops'

'The Magic Hammer'

By all means, please post some of these for us to see with our own eyes. :popcorn:

e875mt.pngswd7io.pngjky9kw.png

:whistle:

:gossip:

Chamber-of-Darkness-4.jpg

lol (thumbs u

This is a good example of what I'm talking about. OSPG has this book as a "Conan-esque tryout." It's listed as well over twice the value of the issues right before and after it.

Did Marvel go into this saying, "Let's do a story with a character that come off looking like an already known fictional character. Then, if it does well, well put a series out based on Conan?"

I don't know, maybe they did. I know some boardies know the exact story behind this one.

I have been wanting to find one..I mean one..one single issue of "Cuentos de Abuelito" (with Conan) from the 50s, to make CGC re-do the "first appearance of Conan on a Comic book" title on their labels..no such luck though...none at all...

:gossip:

lol (thumbs u

This is a good example of what I'm talking about. OSPG has this book as a "Conan-esque tryout." It's listed as well over twice the value of the issues right before and after it.

Did Marvel go into this saying, "Let's do a story with a character that come off looking like an already known fictional character. Then, if it does well, well put a series out based on Conan?"

I don't know, maybe they did. I know some boardies know the exact story behind this one.

I think it happened to be more of a coincidence of timing and circumstances.

From CBG excerpt with Roy Thomas...

frs6w.png