• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics Gerber scarcity

28 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the Gerber scarcity rating of Action Comics 5 through 20? And, I assume this info could be found in the Gerber Photo Journal? Does the Journal have a scan of EVERY golden age DC (like Acton, Detective, More Fun, etc) or if just a sampling of several random issues? I saw a previous thread here that recommended these Journals, so I'll have to see if I can track down a copy. Thanks in advance! thumbsup2.gif

Does anyone know the Gerber scarcity rating of Action Comics 5 through 20? And, I assume this info could be found in the Gerber Photo Journal? Does the Journal have a scan of EVERY golden age DC (like Acton, Detective, More Fun, etc) or if just a sampling of several random issues? I saw a previous thread here that recommended these Journals, so I'll have to see if I can track down a copy. Thanks in advance! thumbsup2.gif

Action #5 is SI-8.

The rest from 6-20 are SI-6 (mostly) with a few SI-5s.

Does the Journal have a scan of EVERY golden age DC (like Acton, Detective, More Fun, etc) or if just a sampling of several random issues? I saw a previous thread here that recommended these Journals, so I'll have to see if I can track down a copy. Thanks in advance! thumbsup2.gif

YES. Every Golden Age DC, Timely, Fawcett, Quality, etc. etc. that Ernie Gerber was able to get his hands on long enough to photo. For instance, there is an issue of Flash Comics that is missing (one of the infamous Gerber "white spaces"). Somewhere around #54 if I remember correctly.

Most everything else is there up to say 1950. Once you get to the 1950s issues, Gerber only lists a few representative covers for runs. But the first 100 Batman and Superman are all there, as are the first 200 Detective and Action Comics. ALL the More Fun Comics, etc.

Indispensible for the GA collector! thumbsup2.gif

It's Flash #56. Thrilling #33 and Exciting #28 are also missing, as well as several others, but overall, it's an amazing accomplishment that we all get to benefit from. I can't tell you how often I page through the Photojournals while I'm just hanging out watching TV.

Wow, I didn't know Action #5 had an SI of 8. Those early Actions are more rare than I thought. And yes, I'm going to have to get a copy of the Photo Journal. It sounds like a great tool to have considering my interest in the DC golden age.

Thanks to everyone for your input! Glad I became a member here.

Wow, I didn't know Action #5 had an SI of 8. Those early Actions are more rare than I thought. And yes, I'm going to have to get a copy of the Photo Journal. It sounds like a great tool to have considering my interest in the DC golden age.

Thanks to everyone for your input! Glad I became a member here.

Action 5 is actually one of the easiest of the first 20 Actions to locate. It should have a scarcity index of 4-5 rather than 8. The toughest issues are 3, 8, 10, 12 and 13. Easiest to locate would be 1, 5, 6, 11 and all after 13.

Speaking of Action # 13 Awesome Cover,one of the best in the run IMO!!!! That Train on the cover"Killer". thumbsup2.gif

Couldn't agree more. I've gotta get a copy of that one of these days...

13's great, but I always favored #15. I like how large Superman is in the cover!

Timely

Hey Timely, when do you start grading? Did they make you move to Sarasota?

Not being a GA collector, and being curious because I see lots of references to the Gerber scarcity ratings: how accurate have the Gerber scarcity ratings turned out to be, considering that he put the photo journals together some years ago? With all the finds that have surfaced in the intervening years, have any of his ratings turned out to be really wrong?

Similarly, what about the various scarcity estimates in the Overstreet Guide?

Well Flash #56 is certainly NOT the scarcest Flash issue.

In fact after the Gerber guide came out, is was usually kind

of common to see that book at dealers tables priced at 3-4x

guide because it was the "rarest" Flash Comics.

A similar thing happened when Gary Carter came out and

promoted Danger Trail #3 as the rarest 50s DC book - I used to

love finding them a copy at a smaller show and then taking it

to San Diego or Chicago and selling for 10x guide or so.

I am moving this month. I'll be there in June.

Timely~West

So how does this work -- are they going to put a special pink label on the first 400 books you grade, sort of like the "student driver" sign you see occasionally on the sides of driver's ed. cars on the highway? stooges.gif

Just kidding Timely. flowerred.gif

Actually in defense of the Flash #56 it was the scarcest Flash BEFORE the Journal came out. Pat Kochanek had an ongoing 5 year survey of the scarcity of the Flash title (along with 3 others). Every time he found a Flash for sale he would document it. Before the Journal came out and exposed the Flash #56, Kochanek had only documented 3 copies that came up for sale in a 5 year period, it was the scarcest issue! However afterward the Journal was released several Flash 56 owners saw $$$ in their eyes and put their copies on the market at "stupid money" prices. That raised the number of copies being sold to 7 or so...still making it one of the scarcer issues, but not the scarcest. I believe that honor went to Flash #16.

Timely

I am moving this month. I'll be there in June.

Timely~West

So how does this work -- are they going to put a special pink label on the first 400 books you grade, sort of like the "student driver" sign you see occasionally on the sides of driver's ed. cars on the highway? stooges.gif

Just kidding Timely. flowerred.gif

Well...this student has been driving since 1985. 19 years of grading should put me to the head of the driving class. I hope the cops don't ticket me!!! 27_laughing.gif

Timely~West

Actually in defense of the Flash #56 it was the scarcest Flash BEFORE the Journal came out. Pat Kochanek had an ongoing 5 year survey of the scarcity of the Flash title (along with 3 others). Every time he found a Flash for sale he would document it. Before the Journal came out and exposed the Flash #56, Kochanek had only documented 3 copies that came up for sale in a 5 year period, it was the scarcest issue! However afterward the Journal was released several Flash 56 owners saw $$$ in their eyes and put their copies on the market at "stupid money" prices. That raised the number of copies being sold to 7 or so...still making it one of the scarcer issues, but not the scarcest. I believe that honor went to Flash #16.

Timely

Cool. Another opportunity to post my Flash #16. Let me know when you're sick of seeing it guys...

f16.jpg

I should also add that over the years I've found Gerber's scarcity index surprisingly accurate in regard to Nedors/Standard/Better books. Books that received a rating of 7 or 8(Thrilling #33, Exciting #30, etc.) in most cases have only one copy listed in the CGC census.