• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMNT

68 posts in this topic

It's raining TMNTs. Not hard to pick up any of the four, 1st prints, if you're just willing to spend the money. Slabbed is a little tougher, but only because hardly anyone slabs them, not because they're rare.

Find a copy of Visions 1-5, Grendel 1-3 (original Hunter Rose mini), Flaming Carrot Comics #1 (not the regular comic, its predecessor) at all, much less in grade, and I will personally send you a no-prize.

Well 2-4 are easy. But #1 is just as rare as the other books you mention, for the most part. For example, the Killian Barracks Flaming carrot #1 has a print run of 5,500 compared to the 3,000 TMNT #1s. The Visions #1 is tough at only 1,000 copies. The higher #s Visions can be found, although still fairly scarce.

*bump*

Any theories on why the TMNT #1 CGC 9.4 still hasn't sold yet? I think virtually everybody thought the first true NM slabbed copy of this book to hit the market would go for a nearly unlimited amount, yet this one seems to have stalled out. Is it because there are already 2 copies in grade in the Census (with 2 9.2s right behind it)?

I was predicting about a 9.4 to go around the $2500 level a few months ago when we were discussing it.. I still think that's more in line. Not that this comic link copy has been priced *that* aggressively, but still above ebay levels IMO. The book is scarce, but there will be a few nm copies since it became valuable very shortly after its release. There are bound to be some more high grades waiting in mylars that haven't seen the light of day in 20 years..

So you're saying I should wait to buy a copy? confused-smiley-013.gif I've quit HG collecting for the most part, but this is one of 2 or 3 books I would still consider buying.

Ehh...... depends on how bad you want it, I guess. I would probably look to pay 3k or less, but if its something that you really, really want, it may not be worth taking the chance.

Maybe if you're able to find out who the seller is (was it hampel? I forget what his copy graded at) perhaps you could make an offer directly. You might try floating 2750 and see what happens.

Here are some thoughts on TMNT 1. I still think it is a completely undervalued book but as other board members said since its only a 20 year old book that went up to unheard prices only a few years after its release, there might be a lot of high grade copies that people have been taking good care of. On the other hand there were only 3000 printed and it is a black cover and the production quality wasnt the greatest since the book was produced by a fledgling independent company. The market value of these books is way too speculaive right now since there are not many copies graded and collectors do not know whether this book is scarce in high grade. Even though I primarily collect silver age, this is one modern/copper book that I absolutely love since I was a kid when the original comics and toys came out. . In a year or two we will either be kicking ourselves for not buying this 9.4 copy for 3000+ right now, or will be glad we dodged a bullet. I do however think this book is one of the best long term investments.

893frustrated.gif TMNT #1 is the bane of my existence. 893frustrated.gif

When the book first came out I actually had two 1st print copies(had picked up an extra copy for a friend). The dealer had received only 3 copies total(one for him, two for me).

Well my friend decided he didn't want his copy so I sold it for $20 during the first few months of its' release. Then a few weeks later I needed date money(college) so sold my copy for $40. Can't even remember what her name was now, money well spent...NOT!!!!

These were the first comics that I had ever sold from my collection...hindsight...who knew? 893frustrated.gif

Well, a third 9.4 copy of #1 just showed up in the Census as well as a second 9.0 (no new 9.2s - there are still two).

Oops, I was just kidding. No desire to pick up any turtles right now. $40 might buy a fine/fine+ copy. In truth I found the series interesting only as long as it was initially mocking Miller's DD. After it went commerical it went south for me. 893blahblah.gif

*bump*

Any theories on why the TMNT #1 CGC 9.4 still hasn't sold yet? I think virtually everybody thought the first true NM slabbed copy of this book to hit the market would go for a nearly unlimited amount, yet this one seems to have stalled out. Is it because there are already 2 copies in grade in the Census (with 2 9.2s right behind it)?

Gene, I think it's the Dave Sims/William Gaines effect. First print TMNT #1s are very very tough to find in NM, as are Cerebus #1s, or so we thought. But now, following the release of the Sims file copies, no one wants to go and spend big bucks for a copy and then have Eastman and Laird release 10 9.4-9.8 copies from their personal collections in a few years. And you can just about bet the mortgage that they do have personal file copies in pristine condition, because they were comic fans and collectors before they became super-successful creators.

I've been looking for a NM TMNT #1 forever, and if you'd asked me a year ago I would have told you that I'd be willing to pony up $3K for a copy, no problem. I would've done the same thing for a Cerebus #1. Thank god the Sims copies got released before I got that "opportunity".