• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peyo Auction

36 posts in this topic

Asterix is as much a classic as anything we have here; American audiences missed out on some great stuff. As for the value of the art perhaps the euro mentality is more conducive to high prices? Art is everywhere there and I think culturally there might be a greater willingness to pony up for art of all sorts of different stripes? A guess

In the US most comic art collectors are comic collectors first who later developed a taste for the artwork. I have seen a few cases where these collectors graduate to fine art but for the most part they stick to comics.

It was said that in Europe it is seen as art so is the art being bought by art collectors as opposed to comic collectors? That may in part account for the high prices.

I think it may have something to do with more acceptance of comic strips in popular culture in Europe. I work with people from Belgium, France and the UK and most have a general acceptance of comic strips. (Although the UK guys are Harry Potter crazy.)

Essentially, more fans create more demand.

I know it sounds unusual to you guys, but the thought of people not knowing who Charlie Brown is mind-blowing to me...

In America we mostly (to my own pop-culture knowledge) have no idea who either Tin-tin or Asterix is whatsoever. I'm sure that's equally shocking to you guys.

How about Bugs Bunny?

Well he is probably better known as the "kid-who-hangs-around-the-dog-in-the-Snoopy-strip" lol

Bugs is well known, the cartoons are perpetually aired.

I wonder if the Spielberg/Peter Jackson upcoming Tintin movie will be a breakthrough in the US market or not. hm

Asterix is as much a classic as anything we have here; American audiences missed out on some great stuff. As for the value of the art perhaps the euro mentality is more conducive to high prices? Art is everywhere there and I think culturally there might be a greater willingness to pony up for art of all sorts of different stripes? A guess

In the US most comic art collectors are comic collectors first who later developed a taste for the artwork. I have seen a few cases where these collectors graduate to fine art but for the most part they stick to comics.

It was said that in Europe it is seen as art so is the art being bought by art collectors as opposed to comic collectors? That may in part account for the high prices.

I think it may have something to do with more acceptance of comic strips in popular culture in Europe. I work with people from Belgium, France and the UK and most have a general acceptance of comic strips. (Although the UK guys are Harry Potter crazy.)

True that. Comics are still everywhere, gas-stations, supermarkets, newsagents etc...They are always in reach and part of the landscape.

True that. Comics are still everywhere, gas-stations, supermarkets, newsagents etc...They are always in reach and part of the landscape.

I was SHOCKED when I saw FULL BILLBOARDS of Asterix in Europe...totally something that would be (sadly) looked down upon in the USA...they looked really cool... :)

Just out of curiosity, does the Herge museum actively try to "buy back" Tintin artwork?

I could see prices being quite high if private collectors were competing with an institution.

Just out of curiosity, does the Herge museum actively try to "buy back" Tintin artwork?

I could see prices being quite high if private collectors were competing with an institution.

Good question. I have no idea, but Herge's widow is notorious for being a very shrewd business woman so it wouldn't surprise me if she used straw men to buy the art.

I do know that she refused to loan out even a single Tintin page to the national comic book museum. So now we have a situation where the most famous and most celebrated Belgian comic artist is the only major artist not represented in the national museum. Madame Herge reckons if people want to see that art they have go to her museum instead.

This is interesting Edwin as I would say that Dr Seuss is by far the most unknown.

Maybe the UK is the exception but I'm sure that in Western Europe and probably Eastern Europe most people have no idea who he is or what he did.

Garfield and Peanuts ( which most Europeans call "Snoopy") are very well known due to the daily comic strips in newspapers and because of the cuddly toys, school binders, t-shirts etc

Both have firmly escaped the comic- book world and are now huge pop culture icons.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if over half the people who have a Peanuts toy or piece of merchandising have no idea who Charlie Brown is. It's all Snoopy.

Just based on my experience growing up. Dr Seuss was the only one of those 4 that even cropped until I was in the States for several years. Then the only one was Snoppy and not Peanuts as you indicated. But then again this was years ago and way before Garfield and I have no idea about Barbar. After being in the States the stuff I would received from Europe was Asterix dominated with some Disney compliations mixed in.

Edwin

Good question. I have no idea, but Herge's widow is notorious for being a very shrewd business woman so it wouldn't surprise me if she used straw men to buy the art.

I do know that she refused to loan out even a single Tintin page to the national comic book museum. So now we have a situation where the most famous and most celebrated Belgian comic artist is the only major artist not represented in the national museum. Madame Herge reckons if people want to see that art they have go to her museum instead.

I found the absence of Herge originals extremely puzzling when first visited the Strip museum. When I later went to see the Herge museum, I could see the reasoning in having the collections be separate. But you really have to visit both museums to get the full experience. It would have been a nice gesture to the large number of visitors to the Strip museum if there had just been a single Herge page since many will not be able to make the trip to Louvain la Neuve.

I always found it amazing how understated you have been in terms of the role of comics in Belgium versus the United States. I am originally from Scandinavia and always thought comics were accepted as an important segment of our local literature. But after visiting Belgium many times I've been surprised and impressed by how respected "the 9th art" is in your culture.

Really good points...I'm sure there's a tremendus cultural difference between the USA and other countries on this...

Just to get some idea of other (similar) art/culture comparions, where do:

-Peanuts (Charlie Brown)

-Dr Suess (such as Grinch, Cat in the Hat, and Horton)

-Babar the Elephant

-Garfield

...stand with European audiences in popularity?

"Babar the Elephant is a French children's fictional character who first appeared in Histoire de Babar by Jean de Brunhoff in 1931"

Changing to America, comics (more correctly comix) were undergrounds found in head shops (e.g., Skull, Slow Death, Zap, etc.). My exposure to "main stream" comics in American were reruns of serials and TV shows from the 40's and 50's, disney compliations from Europe, and then came the Dr. Strange pocket book in the late 70's.

Edwin

The auction took place 10/29/11 and here are the results:

http://www.artcurial.com/en/asp/searchresults.asp?pg=1&ps=18&st=D&sale_no=2036+++

There were 33 Peyo pieces and the biggest price is for this Smurf magic flute cover which sold for 124,099 € .

http://www.artcurial.com/en/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=2036+++++202+&refno=10343142

125Es... not too shabby! I wonder how come that got so much more than the bebe schroumpf piece. must be some reason I don't understand as the bebe one is nicer to look at but didn't do that well compared to the others