• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron-man 55 vs marvel Spotlight 5

34 posts in this topic

Thanos wasn't a factor until The Surfer #34 & infinity guantlet age stuff.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Thanos kicked butt in three of my favorite storylines, Starlin's Captain Marvel & Warlock sagas, and in the incredible Avengers 7/MTIO 2 Annuals tale.

The reason Iron Man 55 didn't spike in value, was because Thanos was "dead" during the 1st Appearance Explosion in the mid to late-80's. He also never had his own book, and villains were among the last to get full recognition.

And if Ghost Rider was such a "hot title" in the late-70's, early-80's, why did it get cancelled?

i never said it was a "Hot title" i said it appealed to kids. Thanos did too to an older group of people, but the point is more kids read ghost rider for a longer time. If someone who hasn't picked up a comic since 1980 decides to start again, there is a bigger chance he is going to want ghost rider than there is thanos.

Don't get me wrong, i like thanos as well, but Thanos was a supporting character, he didn't even merit his own title. The question involved future potential for a character's 1st appearance. Ghost Rider is just a more memorable character, who had his own series, and was enjoyed by more people. i don't see how it could EVER be IM55.

In your opinion of course. thumbsup2.gif

There is one noted advantage, and it's that Thanos does not make a cover appearance. If he was on the front cover hammering on Iron Man, that would increase the issue's desirability 10-fold.

I think you misunderstood JCs point. Many collectible fields go on undiscovered by just folks who just like to collect something that appeals to them. They seek out and amass all variety of samples of the genre they collect. In time they meet other people with similar pursuits and interests and trade them, and a market develops as certain items are known to be tougher to get.

Eventially, the genre can taks off as a "collectible" and attracts new collectors.

But JCs point was that it starts out harmelessly with no interest in potential riches down the line, just a single-minded "gotta-have-em" maniacal pursuit. Think comics in the 40s and 50s before it got organizized.

No I understood what he was saying I just disagree with that assessment in this day in age. It still happens, but more and more people bring value into the equation with their collecting Vs the pure forms of collecting that existed decades ago.

What the percentages are I couldn't state as this is just my opinion, becuase of the same reasons you stated. People start top collect for the fun of collections and as they acquire more pieces, money and or value comes in to play to do possible trades and or purchases needed to add to the collection.

Then they start to put a value on the collection in terms of what they paid for each item etc.

All I am saying is the the population of pure collectors out their has declined over the years, which I can't necessarily prove. The reason I am confident in this theory is that for the past 20 years I have collected:

Baseball Cards

Comic Books

Avon Bottles

Hot Wheels

Action Figures

Coins

Stamps

Records

Wine

So I have a pretty good grasp of collecting in general and what makes people collect. JC may disagree and that's fine, because eveyone has differen't experiences in their lives that helps them formulate their opinions. flowerred.gif

What I was saying doesnt include all of these areas of collecting. These have all been "outed" alreday. Anybody collecting these items know for crtain that there is a value component in them.

What about: MatchBOOK collectors? Used Credit/bank card collectors? Lint collectors???

Stuff thats considered worthless right now? ANy one of them could someday become a full-fledged hobby with price guides in Barnes and Noble. The folks avidly amassing collections TODAY of this stuff are TRUE COLLECTORS in the sense that we (anyone buying and keeping) their comics cannot aspire to 100%..

What I was saying doesnt include all of these areas of collecting. These have all been "outed" alreday. Anybody collecting these items know for crtain that there is a value component in them.

What about: MatchBOOK collectors? Used Credit/bank card collectors? Lint collectors???

Stuff thats considered worthless right now? ANy one of them could someday become a full-fledged hobby with price guides in Barnes and Noble. The folks avidly amassing collections TODAY of this stuff are TRUE COLLECTORS in the sense that we (anyone buying and keeping) their comics cannot aspire to 100%..

How many collectors are collecting this stuff Vs the known collectibles???? I would think a small percentage, which is why I feel am referring to the masses....besides I don't believe that JC ever said anything about collecting lint makepoint.gif

Does no one just COLLECT comics anymore?

Yeah,..but not Marvels....Yeech!!,...they are only good for flipping so you can buy more DCs..... tongue.gif

MS #5 wins because I've got one laugh.gif and sold IM#55 years ago, cheap crazy.gif

And also because it is the complete package - cover app., 1st app., complete story dedicated to the character, and a good read.

IM #55 has a 1st app. and that's it. The early Thanos appearances in Cap. Marvel are much more entertaining and appealing than IM #55.

There are both difficult to find in high grade.

But the MS 5 has such a cool black cover. It is no 1 on my buy list but hell no one is selling any high grade ones. (are there any) I have looked online everywhere. The collectors have stashed them away. A 9.8 MS 5 I would rank up there with a HOS 92 9.8 on my I can die now list. They would cost us a fortune.