• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice Please...

54 posts in this topic

Hello Board...

I have had some problems with my first submission to CGC.

I went to my lcs guy to make the submissions, which were: X-Men Alpha, Uncanny X-Men #137 & Giant Size X-Men #1. I figured since this was my first set of submissions, it would be easier just to give them to a dealer and let him do the work. He supposedly sent the books on 3/17.

I hesitated about giving him the GS #1. First because it was going to be about as expensive to submit as sending in the other two books and second because it is one of my top books. I actually left the store, giving him just the Alpha & #137. But I really wanted to see what sort of grade the GS would pull, so I went back and had him send it in. Incidentally, this was the reason why the GS was separated from the other two books and why I was given another invoice for it. He wrote on the GS invoice that the book should be back around 4/7 seeing as higher grades were supposed to come back sooner. The two others would come back later ( he wrote 4/17, but I didn't believe that knowing the actual turnaround time - but I let it slide).

I waited until the time periods were up to call him and he told me they weren't back yet. I called him again a couple weeks after the GS was supposed to be back and he said any day it should be in, noting that some other books he had sent just before mine had returned. So I decided to call CGC about the books. I gave Gemma my invoice number and was told that the Alpha & #137 were in process, but the GS should be shipping soon. I was content.

I then called the lcs guy last week and still no books yet. So I called CGC wondering why at least the GS hadnt been shipped yet and to my horror they couldn't find the invoice number to my GS! The one I was given wasn't in their system. I talked to Gemma about this, given that she was able to look up the GS the first time but she couldnt find it using the invoice number. (I believe the first time I gave her the dealer # as well and she did find a GS that was submitted by the dealer...and because there was no name with it, it was assumed to be mine). I was advised to call the lcs guy.

I contacted him Monday and he finally revealed that he had COMBINED my GS with 5 other books! It would've been nice to tell me this the first time I called!! 893frustrated.gif He told me he would look up the invoice number and get back to me. I called him back the same day and he was having trouble finding the invoice! He said he would continue to look and call CGC.

I called him back yesterday and there was no luck. CGC never recieved it, and he didnt have an invoice for it!! He's supposed to get the receipt for the package and talk with whomever actually handled it. I get back to him Friday.

All this has left me a bit flustered! The one bright spot in this is he does purchase insurance just in case the package is lost. But he mentioned buying $4000 worth for that particular package. He told me that one of the books he sent out with my GS was an ASM#1, which as we all know isnt a cheap comic! And that doesnt include the four other books he sent out along with those two! So Im wondering if the $4000 will cover everything that was shipped out!?

So now I play the waiting game once again. So Im asking...if the book is lost, can I expect full market value (which btw, he listed on my invoice as being $700)? And what should I do at this point? Has anyone else gone through a similar situation??

I know its not CGC's fault and I will continue to submit books into them. At this point though, I would be happy to just get my book back and do this on my own like I should have done the first time!! 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Do you trust this lcs guy?

thats is most important , before I pass along any advice.

Zeman

I did at first (obviously)...but at this point....i dont know. he does seem like a reputable and ok kind of guy and he has been in the area a while. but this was the first time I dealt with him. my regular lcs guy doesnt do submissions.

Do you trust this lcs guy?

Good call, and I'll leave my Dealer Horror Stories until after it's answered. I just find it quite amusing that this guy supposedly "loses" an ASM #1, yet doesn't seem too concerned until it's brought up later on. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Let me get this straight.

He says he sent out a ASM #1 along with 3 other books, and he cant find the insurance recipt?And it was only for 4k? with a asm #1inside?

Thats a load of horse hooey..

It sounds to me like this guys is trying to sham you.

He might not be, and I dont have time right now to really reread your long post about him, and your books.

But off the bat, I would call up, ask to see his postal insurance reciept, and the CGC submission forms he filled out, since he keeps a copy for his records whenever you send in a CGC submission.

Like J.C said....if he sent a ASM #1 to CGC then he knows dam well where it is, and where his reciepts are, you just dont lose things like that.

And the fact that he has already lied to you, about how, when he sent in the books.. makes me wonder.

I hope this doesnt sound as bad as I think it does from your description.

I will try and re read your post later, and see if I was correct in my assumptions,

I talked to Gemma about this, given that she was able to look up the GS the first time but she couldnt find it using the invoice number. (I believe the first time I gave her the dealer # as well and she did find a GS that was submitted by the dealer...and because there was no name with it, it was assumed to be mine).

Did you ever get the Grade on this copy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Let me get this straight.

He says he sent out a ASM #1 along with 3 other books, and he cant find the insurance recipt?And it was only for 4k? with a asm #1inside?

Thats a load of horse hooey..

It sounds to me like this guys is trying to sham you.

He might not be, and I dont have time right now to really reread your long post about him, and your books.

But off the bat, I would call up, ask to see his postal insurance reciept, and the CGC submission forms he filled out, since he keeps a copy for his records whenever you send in a CGC submission.

Like J.C said....if he sent a ASM #1 to CGC then he knows dam well where it is, and where his reciepts are, you just dont lose things like that.

And the fact that he has already lied to you, about how, when he sent in the books.. makes me wonder.

I hope this doesnt sound as bad as I think it does from your description.

I will try and re read your post later, and see if I was correct in my assumptions,

He told me that he has to contact the actual person who did the actual sending to get the reciept (which he better darn well have!)...but i guess he wasnt the one who did the actual wrapping of the books. And your right, it doesnt sound right that he would send out those calibre books with just $4000 insurance!

I talked to Gemma about this, given that she was able to look up the GS the first time but she couldnt find it using the invoice number. (I believe the first time I gave her the dealer # as well and she did find a GS that was submitted by the dealer...and because there was no name with it, it was assumed to be mine).

Did you ever get the Grade on this copy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

no, she couldnt find the book in her system..not even with the dealer # foreheadslap.gif

Okay, this is sounding a bit fishy. Gemma finds it the first time, tells you it's coming soon, and then mysteriously can't find it now?

I'm getting warning bells sounding all over, and I hope when I ask the next question, you're not going to say "NM or higher".

What was you anticipated CGC grade for the book?

Not that this isn't a bad situation, but I do want to point out that ASM #1 starts at around $800 in the guide at GD and goes to $2500 in FN, so assuming it's a lower grade copy $4000 isn't so unreasonable a total for five books if the lower grade ASM #1 is the cream of the crop.

So, that part, at least, isn't so outrageous.

Okay, this is sounding a bit fishy. Gemma finds it the first time, tells you it's coming soon, and then mysteriously can't find it now?

I'm getting warning bells sounding all over, and I hope when I ask the next question, you're not going to say "NM or higher".

What was you anticipated CGC grade for the book?

The first time I talked with Gemma, she found a GS copy that wasnt mine, but was sent in by the same dealer at the same time mine was sent. There was no name on that copy so it was assumed it was my copy. That is why she told me it would be back soon.

And the estimated grade was between: 7.5 - 8.5.

Not that this isn't a bad situation, but I do want to point out that ASM #1 starts at around $800 in the guide at GD and goes to $2500 in FN, so assuming it's a lower grade copy $4000 isn't so unreasonable a total for five books if the lower grade ASM #1 is the cream of the crop.

So, that part, at least, isn't so outrageous.

your right...but he didnt give a grade on the other 4 books... confused-smiley-013.gif

The first time I talked with Gemma, she found a GS copy that wasnt mine, but was sent in by the same dealer at the same time mine was sent. There was no name on that copy so it was assumed it was my copy. That is why she told me it would be back soon.

My point was, that if it was a VF/NM or higher copy, then who's to say it wasn't yours?

The dealer could easily sell it on EBay, and just toss you $700 and keep the rest. But at that grade, it wouldn't make sense to run a scam like that, unless the guy is looking to rip you off totally.

And the estimated grade was between: 7.5 - 8.5.

Same dealer, sent in a GS same time, and they claim it wasnt yours?

I know a GS is a fairly common book, but..

CMON!!!

Ok, what am I not getting here.

This lcs, is his name the one CGC has or does he give the books to yet another dealer?

And when you went into this lcs what exactly did you ask/say to him.

And what was his respnse?

And Rob R. I agree, the 4 k ins. is in line, but the fact that he could not find them was why I thought it was out of line.

You are correct tho.

My point was, that if it was a VF/NM or higher copy, then who's to say it wasn't yours?

The dealer could easily sell it on EBay, and just toss you $700 and keep the rest. But at that grade, it wouldn't make sense to run a scam like that, unless the guy is looking to rip you off totally.

I see your point...and must admit that i was thinking the same thing, but the book wouldnt get more then an 8.5....9.0 would be a stretch!

But X, I still don't get how Gemma could find the "mystery no name copy" the first time, but now it's disappeared? Does that mean the LCS guy has now *lost* 2 copies of GS X-Men 1?

Getting the grade on that *cough* other copy might shed some light on what's going on here. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But X, I still don't get how Gemma could find the "mystery no name copy" the first time, but now it's disappeared? Does that mean the LCS guy has now *lost* 2 copies of GS X-Men 1?

Getting the grade on that *cough* other copy might shed some light on what's going on here. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

that copy hasnt disappeared, the lcs guy recieved it. He told me it wasnt my copy though.

However, I just sent Gemma an email to see if she can find out if there was writing on the back of that copy, just in case it is really my copy and the dealer is mistaken.