• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somebody 'splain this to me like I'm 5,....

47 posts in this topic

I don't have a CGC account, but using Heritage as a backdoor means to the census there's a grand total of 4 CGC 9.6 copies out there.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121120&lotNo=10169

It also went for $90 less than the last sale on GPA's records. I'm not surprised by this either.

...yeah, but you can't judge a book by only one previous sale,...first sale of a book in top grade always goes for stoopid money hence the $900.++ price on the first one,..but there are 4 books in census, and only a matter of time before a 9.8 comes along,...then it will drop down to about $300.00,...

but you can reference a 9.4 sale from 4 years ago :makepoint:

And the background color is a cool purple. Probably shows colorbreaking creases easily, so likely to be few NM/above copies. Obviously a tough and desired book, at least by enough to make it a high 3 figure book. :o

+1

But that brings up a question.

Is it just me, or are purple background books tougher in higher grade than black background?

I know it sounds odd...

IMO Black is definitely tougher in higher grade.

Black is the absolute contrast of white. Ergo, you can see the CB creases easier and they look much more severe.

Also, Black highlights smudges and all the other tiny defects. It's just the nature of the "color".

And the background color is a cool purple. Probably shows colorbreaking creases easily, so likely to be few NM/above copies. Obviously a tough and desired book, at least by enough to make it a high 3 figure book. :o

+1

Is it just me, or are purple background books tougher in higher grade than black background?

I know it sounds odd...

Purple covers in DC's silver age seem even tougher to find in high grade than other issues surrounding them. I don't know that the same applies to the bronze age, but it does seem possible.

+1

I know it sounds odd...

Purple covers in DC's silver age seem even tougher to find in high grade than other issues surrounding them. I don't know that the same applies to the bronze age, but it does seem possible.

Tec #359s are a biotch to find high grade.

Highest graded copy with six people bidding. Neal Adams cover and consistent with GPA.

only two sales at 9.6 are $936 and $972. the TC 9.4 sold for $487 and the poop brown Savannah 9.4 sold for $364. get the monkey away from the keyboard.

You only need two to be consistent. One definition is "capable of being reproduced." So says my monkey.

+1

I know it sounds odd...

You can say that again.

I don't even understand how there are two 9.8s on the census.

I don't have a CGC account, but using Heritage as a backdoor means to the census there's a grand total of 4 CGC 9.6 copies out there.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121120&lotNo=10169

It also went for $90 less than the last sale on GPA's records. I'm not surprised by this either.

...yeah, but you can't judge a book by only one previous sale,...first sale of a book in top grade always goes for stoopid money hence the $900.++ price on the first one,..but there are 4 books in census, and only a matter of time before a 9.8 comes along,...then it will drop down to about $300.00,...

but you can reference a 9.4 sale from 4 years ago :makepoint:

....AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!..... :slapfight:....I give up,...I give up!!...every sale of this book will go up exponentionaly 20% until the end of time,....more grape kool-aid mom,...it's delicious!!!!

+1

I know it sounds odd...

NO.

+1

I know it sounds odd...

You can say that again.

Tec #359s are a biotch to find high grade. ;)

Highest graded copy with six people bidding. Neal Adams cover and consistent with GPA.

only two sales at 9.6 are $936 and $972. the TC 9.4 sold for $487 and the poop brown Savannah 9.4 sold for $364. get the monkey away from the keyboard.

You only need two to be consistent. One definition is "capable of being reproduced." So says my monkey.

sorry, meant rocketeer's monkey- i was agreeing with you

....AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!..... :slapfight:....I give up,...I give up!!...every sale of this book will go up exponentionaly 20% until the end of time,....more grape kool-aid mom,...it's delicious!!!!

I don't think anyone here opined that a 9.6 TEC 397 is a sound investment piece. Just that the price it went for is right inline with what's expected.

should we start grilling this book? I see some defects in the photo that make me question the 9.6. Not trying to be a jerk but I get books graded too and this would be a 8.5 if i submitted....

you should have someone else submit your books. you're obviously on the "hammer him" list

+1

I know it sounds odd...

You can say that again.

You can say that again!

+1

I know it sounds odd...

You can say that again.

You can say that again!

...WTF?....how could this go so high?

:o

det 397 9.6

Nearly 900 for a Batman book from the late 60s. It was not very long ago (ten years, tops) that I heard a guy was ridiculed for spending about half that much on the Batman story pages from Detective 27. I heard he was made to feel like such a fool that he dumped it almost immediately for a loss.

...don't get me wrong I'm happy for the seller,...I wish I was the seller,..but I'm just trying to fathom why at least two people would go over $500.00 for this book let alone over $800.00,...there's no significant stoty or 1st appearance,...it's just an Adams Tec cover,...

Adams also did the interior, not just the cover. Incredibly tough in high grade as was discussed. Is it the best you can currently buy? Yes. Will prices eventually fall? Yes. Did it go for too much money? No way.

The census is free for everyone to use, you don't have to pay for it.

Really? How do I access it? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I thought you needed a CGC account.