• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warehouse Find Issues?

25 posts in this topic

Over the years, there seem to be certain Marvel issues that turn up all the time in high grade, far more than surrounding issues. I always assumed these had originated from warehouse finds, and should be valued a little lower than surrounding issues. Off the top of my head, the biggest candidate for this is

Fantastic Four #59. I have a nearly perfect copy, and have seen tons of CGC 9.4+ copies on ebay.

Another one is Daredevil #24.

Any others people know of?

Think I'll check out the CGC census and see if these two or any others are obvious outliers.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Avengers 23 9.4 - 5 copies 9.6 - 4 copies

Avengers 24 9.4 - 24 copies 9.6 - 19 copies

Avengers 25 9.4 - 6 copies 9.6 - 3 copies

This ain't Marvel, but I remember hearing many moons ago that there was a warehouse find of Captain Marvel Adventures #50 & #51.

Probably true as Mark Wilson had 3 VF/NM copies of #49,50 &51 each in his catalog back in the early 1990's. I know, because I bought one of each (long since sold).

I believe the Warehouse find is also referred to as the Mile High II.

And there are tons of books. I have to believe that all these books were part of the MHII collection (number of copies in 9.4 or above in ()).

Conan #1 (113)

Nick Fury #1 (184)

Iron-Man #1 (130)

Sub-Mariner #1 (166)

Captain America #100 (84)

Incredible Hulk #102 (87)

And remember, this is just those graded so far and those in 9.4 or higher. Obviously, there are many copies that probably have a touch of wear (or accumulated wear in the past 15 years) so they would grade 9.2 or below.

This is why I don't have a huge desire to buy these books at this time as I would expect SUPPLY to outstrip DEMAND (at current prices) for the foreseeable future. Great books, but why buy today if you can get them cheaper (or the same price) in a few years.

Just check out the Census. Better yet, go to Valiantman's census website gregholland.com/cgc (which is awesome).

This ain't Marvel, but I remember hearing many moons ago that there was a warehouse find of Captain Marvel Adventures #50 & #51.

Probably true as Mark Wilson had 3 VF/NM copies of #49,50 &51 each in his catalog back in the early 1990's. I know, because I bought one of each (long since sold).

I bought a NM/M double cover copy of #50 from Mark around the same time, also long since sold. I think I spent a wopping $140.

Better yet, go to Valiantman's census website

gregholland.com/cgc (which is awesome).

Unfortunately, browsers won't generally take that as a web address...

Here's one that works (clickable): http://www.GregHolland.com/CGC

thumbsup2.gif

I did some work to allow the CGC Census to "point out" books that statistically "stand out".

Obviously, most of these are key issues... but that's what it's for...

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/BubbleUp.txt

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/BubbleUp2.txt

In some cases, non-key issues are standing out because of "warehouse finds".

Unfortunately, browsers won't generally take that as a web address...

Here's one that works (clickable): http://www.GregHolland.com/CGC

The best free website on the web. thumbsup2.gif

Don't give him too many ideas. And, not that my opinion is worth much, but I think the site is great. Gives me insight into an industry that I would not have otherwise.

Dan

And there are tons of books. I have to believe that all these books were part of the MHII collection (number of copies in 9.4 or above in ()).

Conan #1 (113)

Don't know about MH2, but there was a UK dealer around 20-25 years ago (can't remember his name, but he was a Cobra member and advertised in all the UK fanzines around that time) and he had an absolute ton of certain high grade issues.

Among those I bought and unfortunately long ago sold, were - Conan 1, Savage Tales 1, Marvel Spotlight 3, 4 and Fear 19. I remember that the Fear issue was £10 and the Conan/Savage Tales were either £50 each or £30 each. Prices didn't change for a few years and his stock must have been very deep. There were lots of other issues, but I don't keep old lists.