• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my Iron man #1 please

36 posts in this topic

7.5-8.0. You VG/FN guys are out of your gourds.
I count 23 spine stress lines (most fairly minor), a medium size crease on the lower left back corner, and several small tears/creases around the edges. That's just too many things wrong for me to call it VF. Fine/ 6.0 is about as high as I'd probably agree to, but to each his own. I do agree that it has nice eye appeal for its grade, with bright colors and (according to the owner) high gloss.

7.5-8.0. You VG/FN guys are out of your gourds.
I count 23 spine stress lines (most fairly minor), a medium size crease on the lower left back corner, and several small tears/creases around the edges. That's just too many things wrong for me to call it VF. Fine/ 6.0 is about as high as I'd probably agree to, but to each his own. I do agree that it has nice eye appeal for its grade, with bright colors and (according to the owner) high gloss.

This copy is as nice as or nicer than the one on page 211 of the Overstreet Grading Guide, which has a similar spine and uglier corners with 1/2 inch long creases and an inch or more of color flecks, plus a back cover that is cut so that it doesn't match the rest of the comic, plus interior corner page tears. The copy in the OGG is a 7.5.

The Teen Titans #14 on page 207 of the OGG has an almost identical spine, softer corners, and a right edge with quite a bit of long edge creasing. It's an 8.0. This book appears to be in the same class as Osborn_france's Iron Man #1.

The Weird Science Fantasy Annual on page 216 of the OGG is way uglier than this one (nastier spine, two corners with long creases) and is a 7.0.

This is why I don't think it falls into the F/VF 7.0 range or lower. Just my opinion.

Yes. God forbid that someone would want to use the Official Overstreet Grading Guide to discuss the grade of a comic. What a novel and controversial thing to do. Let's rely on a bunch of people who want to show how strict they are instead.

flowerred.gif

Thanks to everybody for their opinions.

I think that the book is in the 6.0/6.5 range.

Too many spine stress lines, and for me the main default is the cover that's miswrapped.

I already have a CGC 9.0 copy of this book, so this one is for me a really nice reader copy.

Tonight i'll ask you to help me grading my copies of ASM #121 & 122,

Thanks again ! flowerred.gif

David

If you don't mind me adding something here:

3 things that made me hunker down hard on this Issue:

1) the crease on back lower cover - too major to discount IMO;

2) there is some "fuzziness" around the bottom of BOTH staples on the back cover - this led me to believe that the comic is not as "Snug" w/ staples as a F+ comic generally is;

3) Too many minor but noticeable Spine cracks front cover - This is the death knell of many fine comic books.

The upside of this comic IS the superior gloss - it probably has retained close to 60 - 75% of said gloss and makes a very presentable comic book and thus a desired copy for just about anyone's collection.

Also take my harsh grading with some temperment - you should see how harsh I am on MY own comics - I am one of those guys that believes in undergrading a bit just to prevent the prevalent "overgrading" that occurs in this great Hobby. I am sure that some of the overgrading is truly unintentional, and I think I was overgrading a bit years ago - but since my foray with eBay/Yahoo! I decided to stick to the undergrade school. Better to undergrade and let the others think they are getting the best of it and if they are, you can't lose! To even things up I will post some of MY comics and let you guys take a shot at me - and I will ask Redhook first if I can PM beforehand what I think the grade is before I post the comics. I have not asked him yet if he would do this, but if he cannot do this I will find a suitable neutral party I trust( maybe Darth or someone like him) and see how this goes. Hope this is as fun for everyone else as it is for me!!!

CAL hi.gif

Oh, I almost forgot to respond to a very important point by FFB

Yes you are correct if you want to use Overstreet Grading Guide. I use it quite often and I find it VERY consistant and real helpful - I cannot imagine serious comic graders out there without this Guide. I admit I need it and also admit that it helps me a lot.

CAL hi.gif