• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I like Batman.

90 posts in this topic

Anyone have a Detective 27 to give me?

Part of the urban legend around these parts where I live is there is a lady who has had an antique shop for over 40 years, and she has bought and sold comic books since before I was born. Inside the store is an old, large safe in the back of the building and within lies a Detective 27 and/or an Action 1 - depending on who tells the tale.

If you want to go look at her back issues, you have to make an appointment. You are then led to the closed portion of the store, where her long boxes are stacked haphazardly - creating a labyrinthian feel - almost as if you stumbled into the storage room at the end of Raiders.

It's actually kind of fun thinking this old gal has those hidden somewhere in her store. She is very old and curmudgeonly - and most people think she is unfriendly because she's brusque. As a kid, she would warn me in that I-hate-kids-but-if-they-buy-something-they're-ok gravelly voice, and point her finger, telling me to be careful with the books. I have grown accustomed to her personality, and while others think she might be off-putting, I like to think she's one-of-a-kind.

Her shop is two blocks away from my grandmother lived. I have been going to her place off and on since I was 8 years old (I'm 38 now). She sold me my first back issue comic books and Creepy magazines. Oddly enough, this lady really likes comic books and baseball cards - which of course, adds to the fantasy that she actually might have those Golden Age books.

I've heard the story of these books from various people for over 20 years. No one has ever seen them, but somewhere, somehow...the story got started.

I'm going back there this weekend - hopefully she is working, and I can peruse the boxes looking for an overlooked gem (her books have been picked clean over the years). And like I've done every time since I was a kid - I'll steal a glance around in the dim light - looking for signs of that big old safe I've always heard about.

No comic fan dislikes Batman.

:hi:

Batman=LAME

Avengers= PURE AWESOMENESS

:baiting:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Scarlet Witch, Wonder Man, Quicksilver, Goliath, Rage, seriously the list goes on. You are nuts. And I have a 200 plus book run of Avengers, I do not dislike them. But there was alot of low points.

Oh no you didn't!!! (tsk)

Tell me you didn't just diss the Visions wife!!! :sumo:

[font:Book Antiqua]Ex-wife or Widow

I guess after she kills him the relationship was officially over.[/font]

:eek:

omg spoiler alert...now ill never start reading the avengers