• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staying Productive at my first Con! NYCC

37 posts in this topic

Hello All!

Let me just say I had a great time today and it's been a great experience. Today was my first day and the first half was spent trying to be "productive" - but I had fun regardless!

First order of business - Get a sketch cover from Cheung! Unfortunately he says he fully booked in the first 30 minutes on Thursday. Note to self: next time get a 4 day pass! Well, hopefully someday there will be a next time, as this is a rare opportunity for me.

The good news: Mike Lilly was available and a tremendously nice guy. I gave him my Uncanny X-Force 1 blank and I asked for a full color Archangel. I have always wanted a Mike Lilly so even though I couldn't get Cheung this was a big win! :whee:

Off to CGC for some signatures! My goal: Kirkman/Moore for my Walking Dead 1, Joe Q for my NYX 1 and Frank Miller for my 1982 Wolverine 1.

Unfortunately Frank Miller is Mr. Untouchable, but they did take my WD and NYX. I'll keep checking on ways to get Frank Miller throughout the weekend. Frank, if I fail I'm going to stalk you @#$er!

I brought my AF 15 CGC 2.5 to Classics Inc to consult about a pressing. As I expected, the guy said he can improve the appearance but there's a low chance for an upgrade. Total cost with pressing, regrade and shipping: $160. I know I'm insane, but I'm still considering it.

The HIGHLIGHT of my show so far... meeting awesome people from the board. Roy an his wife from Vintage Comics are absolutely tops. Some of the nicest, most friendly people you will meet. Roy even sent me PM offering to help me out with something when he didn't even know me.

I got to meet Mike (Mr. Mylar) and he was also a great guy, but we didn't get to talk much. CGC was keeping him super busy running around keeping us Yellow Fever guys happy.

I only took a few pictures, and tomorrow I'll make it a point to take more.

I don't know what character she's supposed to be, but she offered to take a picture with my daughter. Sure, why not.

comicon1.jpg

Spider-man and a couple cats.

Comicon2.jpg

USA,

Glad to see you had a good time and I see you chose the ArchAngel cover we talked about. Please do post the Lilly depiction. Best of luck with the rest of NYCC :)

I'm sorry, I need to get better with screen names. Were you the guy I was talking with while we were waiting in Cheung's line? I thought you said your name was "serving of brain" or something similar.

Great to meet you Sean!

Hopefully you and family are having a ggod time!

See you tomorrow!

Great meeting you too, Mike. Don't let them work you too hard! Man you were a busy bee today. (worship)

Silly question...

I turned my slabs over to CGC for signatures. I just assumed because they are CGC that they're gentle when they remove them and the prep them well for sigs? Those were precious 9.8's :wishluck:

USA,

Glad to see you had a good time and I see you chose the ArchAngel cover we talked about. Please do post the Lilly depiction. Best of luck with the rest of NYCC :)

I'm sorry, I need to get better with screen names. Were you the guy I was talking with while we were waiting in Cheung's line? I thought you said your name was "serving of brain" or something similar.

lol nope, we were talking last night while Matt Slay was drawing the wolvie.

USA,

lol nope, we were talking last night while Matt Slay was drawing the wolvie.

Yes, that's right! Yeah I decided on Archangel. Not a lot of people get him and it's an UXF 1. Not only would he look badass, he's the most important character in the story.

The paint sat well on that Wolvie. Finished it up this morning. It wasn't really for anyone, so 1st come 1st serve.

I'm glad you got a chance to meet Mike. We hung out quite a bit at Heroes this year. Me Mike, Norman Lee, and Ebas seemed to be the party crew.... good times. BeachBum Can tell the stories better.

Great to meet you Sean!

Hopefully you and family are having a ggod time!

See you tomorrow!

Great meeting you too, Mike. Don't let them work you too hard! Man you were a busy bee today. (worship)

Silly question...

I turned my slabs over to CGC for signatures. I just assumed because they are CGC that they're gentle when they remove them and the prep them well for sigs? Those were precious 9.8's :wishluck:

Hey Sean,

No worries please rest assured. The CGC staff at the booth are experts and treat every book with care :)

Hey Sean,

No worries please rest assured. The CGC staff at the booth are experts and treat every book with care :)

I figured as much. (thumbs u

I was real nervous about cracking 9.8's, but I couldn't live with myself if I wussed out of such a great opportunity. Especially a double sig for my Walking Dead 1!

The paint sat well on that Wolvie. Finished it up this morning. It wasn't really for anyone, so 1st come 1st serve.

I'm glad you got a chance to meet Mike. We hung out quite a bit at Heroes this year. Me Mike, Norman Lee, and Ebas seemed to be the party crew.... good times. BeachBum Can tell the stories better.

Sounds like you guys had fun. I'd love a chance to go out for drinks with some of the guys for an after-show thing. Tough to work because I'm only here till Sunday and I promised my wife a Broadway show and a NYC tour bus ride.

If you ever find me at a show... just let me know. I have 2 more shows this year. Tomorrow is one of them. The other is the Va ComiCon in Richmond on th 29th and 30th.

I'll be there with James O'Barr, Larry Hama, Herbe Trimpe, and some other good folks.

@Mr. Mylar: I meant Mike Lilly, My Bad. BeachBum has the lowdown on me and Ebas because they were roomed together (I think). We pregamed in their room. Hijinks ensued. Also.. check your messages. Gave you a heads-up on something.

If you ever find me at a show... just let me know. I have 2 more shows this year. Tomorrow is one of them. The other is the Va ComiCon in Richmond on th 29th and 30th.

I'll be there with James O'Barr, Larry Hama, Herbe Trimpe, and some other good folks.

Wait.. are you at NYCC tomorrow??