• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oh just great....

43 posts in this topic

I decide to jump back into comic collecting this weekend only to find that Heritage is charging state sales tax now on top of the BP (there goes any hope of profit on my $400 purchuse) and then I check eBay to see how it's going there and on my first search page I get:

OMG he's worse than ever

Stock photo's? Really? This makes mile high look professional.

My first day in over a year buying comics and I feel used and dirty....

Just like old times.

btw 1st post in 6 months -heya- :hi:

Why do we use a stock picture for under $20 books?

We get many inquiries and comments about our use of stock photos, so I am writing to explain why they are used. For many years we only listed books with a value of $20 or more on our ebay store. We have thousands of great vintage Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper, and Modern age books with values from $5 to $19 on hand at our stores, but economics did not previously allow us to list them here. It simply takes too long to scan them to make it cost effective for us. Beginning in 2010, we figured out a way to profitably list these items. We now list them using a "stock photo", rather than using a scan of the actual book for sale. The condition of each book is described in the title, right after the title and issue number. Sometimes it is spelled out like Good. Other times it is abbreviated, like G (for Good). If you are not sure what the grade (Good, Fine, Mint, etc.) means, then please consult our guide to those terms and their abbreviations, below. We guarantee accurate grading, and we guarantee that you will be happy with each book, or you can return them for a refund. No one has sent any of them back yet, and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, so people that order must be happy. I'm sorry, but due to the large amount of orders we fill each day we cannot fulfill requests for the actual scans for these books. We also cannot provide descriptions of the condition.

We're too lazy to scan, but we will write an essay on why we are too lazy.

"We're too lazy to scan, but we will write an essay on why we are too lazy."

I don't think that's fair. They only have to write that once, a far cry from scanning every single $5 book. They disclose, explain and offer a refund. It's your choice to buy or not.

And they only write it once because...., ? Let me know what is fair, oh arbiter of fairness. Unfortunately, in the real world, the majority will choose, "not."

I've had several great transactions with Lee's Comics. Wish they sold more here on the boards.

Lees comics is a board member,why not just ask him. :eyeroll:

Oh uhm... nevermind then. :whistle:

Oh just great 2.0

My first post in six months and I inadvertently flame a boardie. :flamed:

Lee Hester actually has a couple of stores in Mountain View and San Mateo, CA.

The one in Walnut Creek (really in Concord, CA) is Flying Colors Comics & Other Cool Stuff. The owner of that store is Joe Fields, the founder of Free Comic Book Day and also the co-founder of WonderCon. (Now sold to the group that runs San Diego Comic-Con and moved to Anaheim for 2012.)

Aces! I must say, when I read older posts and see your name, I often wondered if you'd ever post during my stay here... :hi:

My name is Liam. Pleased to meet you!

Hello avid reader of my old posts. :hi:

Really? I didn't know that...

That's really close to my house actually. I always wondered why there wasn't a comic book store in Walnut Creek. hm

Back in the 80's I only shopped at the comic stores around UC Berkeley.

Lees comics is a board member,why not just ask him. :eyeroll:

Oh uhm... nevermind then. :whistle:

Oh just great 2.0

My first post in six months and I inadvertently flame a boardie. :flamed:

Ha ha! Hey it happens. I don't like stock photos either. But I've had good experiences with Lee's Comics. I can't vouch for what he does with the stock photo listings (I won't buy unless I see what I'm getting), but on his other listings I've noticed that he usually under-grades but at 100% of guide. I like that approach. I much prefer that to over-grading but with a discount from guide.