• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Incorporated and manipulation...

109 posts in this topic

I do have to say that I'm, at the same time, both pleased & a little unsatisfied with the interior. While the cover is almost seamless, the interior is not as visually appealing. However, what is truly remarkable is how supple the book now is. It feels like linen to hold. It is so flexible now, almost like a Church book. Functionally, I don't think you could ask for more. Visually, you could.

I'm just getting back to this thread having been away most of the day.

Dan, I think you've gotten a wonderful book there; I'm envious. That will be the centerpiece of your collection for years to come. Congratulations.

Ze-man, your work is fantastic. The art of sophisticated archival preservation used to be reserved for rare manuscripts and historical documents. As collectors we should all be grateful for what you and Matt have accomplished by extending those techniques to highly sought after comics. (thumbs u

I do have to say that I'm, at the same time, both pleased & a little unsatisfied with the interior. While the cover is almost seamless, the interior is not as visually appealing. However, what is truly remarkable is how supple the book now is. It feels like linen to hold. It is so flexible now, almost like a Church book. Functionally, I don't think you could ask for more. Visually, you could.

I'll let this drop off the main page but wanted to elaborate on something before it did.

While I am not 100% happy with the results of the donor paper matching from leafcasting(it drives me nuts actually). When I compare that in my minds eye to what the interior would look like if I repaired everything necessary with white japan paper, and wheat paste it makes my dissatisfaction seem overly critical.

Repairing a tattered interior spine like this Cap 1 had, by gluing strips of japan paper over the surface seems garish when compared to leaf casting, and how it completely fills in the missing area making the page whole again. Even if one repaired the spine by hand, piece filling everything together again with vintage material ....the results in hand would still not be close to what leaf casting offers.

I suppose this sounds like I am making excuses why everything isn't perfect..and I guess I am. But at the same time I remember not to long ago when japan paper was about the only way to mend an interior in this condition.

There, I feel better. :D