• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

If somone doesn't agree with buying from Doug...then that someone shouldn't be selling to him either. Period. Otherwise, it's hypocricy and the only reason why someone would sell to him is the almighty dollar.

I like the almighty dollar. That's why I'm in the business of selling comics. I am sure Bob feels the same way.

There are a ton of folks out there who I wouldn't buy from because they can't grade for mess or their prices are way too high or they have a rotten personality or really bad breath or they don't have anything I need or any number of other reasons.

But I'd sell them stuff all day long.

Ok, would you sell to someone who was caught misappropriating money from the elderly? Misleading GPA data? Trying to pass a trimmed book to CGC?

Would you buy from this person also?

I sell to folks in prison all the time. I have a few mail order subscribers who are serving life terms. I am not in the business of making moral judgments. I sell comic books.

There are a ton of folks out there who I wouldn't buy from because they can't grade for mess or their prices are way too high or they have a rotten personality or really bad breath or they don't have anything I need or any number of other reasons.

Ok, would you sell to someone who was caught misappropriating money from the elderly? Misleading GPA data? Trying to pass a trimmed book to CGC?

Would you buy from this person also?

I sell to folks in prison all the time. I have a few mail order subscribers who are serving life terms. I am not in the business of making moral judgments. I sell comic books.

I was looking for a way to say something similar and that sums it up. Gracias.

Other dealers buying and selling with Doug is not an issue to me and I guess many others.

Doug acting like a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed with no ethics or concern for anyone else is an issue and buyers continuing to reward his behavior is the issue to me. And not this instance but the cumulation of past instances that prove there is a pattern.

There are a lot of complaints on this site about dealers and CGC setting the market and creating the "rules". I don't think that's true. The buyers have the power to dictate many things with their pocketbooks. Dealers will adjust.

You should sell comics and breathmints.

Ironically, that's also what you should buy.

Collectors will always buy high grade books...

From anyone?

Under any circumstances?

Yeah, some of them probably will...so maybe the rest of us need to scream just a little bit louder.

You know they will. How many people have rolled the dice with Hammer even after being here and reading the multitude of threads/warnings?

Mephistopheles has a sweet Suspense #3 for 15% over OSPG that is getting a lot of looks on the 'Bay.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Bedrock City sells breathmints!

Doug Schmell of Pedigreecomics.com sees my customer, comes over and hands him and I a sale sheet of books he has for sale.

This is while I am speaking to my customer giving him prices.

My customer looks at the list and tells Doug the only book he would be interested in would be the Strange Tales #105 9.4.

Doug then reaches into his briefcase and places the book on top of my boxes for my customer to check out.

If it had happened at my booth that Strange Tales 105 would have been thrown out in the aisle.

Why take it out on the poor book? A chairshot to Schmell's forehead would be more effective.

If somone doesn't agree with buying from Doug...then that someone shouldn't be selling to him either. Period.

Why, because you said so? For you and me, comics is a hobby. For some, it is how they feed their family. Who are you to say how they should do their deal? Everyone should get as much as information as possible and make their own decisions based upon their beliefs.

Because it's being a hypocrite. Doesn't Doug have a family to feed?

I'm not defending Doug and his actions to Bob at his booth. Without question it wasn't proper and he deserved to be put in his place by Bob.

I just don't get the sentiment that if he is the devil and don't buy from him...but sure it's okay to sell to him.

Ironically, that's also what you should buy.

I thought drinking Scope by the quart was keeping my breath fresh. doh!

If somone doesn't agree with buying from Doug...then that someone shouldn't be selling to him either. Period.

Why, because you said so? For you and me, comics is a hobby. For some, it is how they feed their family. Who are you to say how they should do their deal? Everyone should get as much as information as possible and make their own decisions based upon their beliefs.

I'm not defending Doug and his actions to Bob at his booth. Without question it wasn't proper and he deserved to be put in his place by Bob.

I just don't get the sentiment that if he is the devil and don't buy from him...but sure it's okay to sell to him.

Who cares? The completely sad thing is that I have just started enjoying your posts and gotten over the fact that you acted like a raging person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed in your inaugural thread. You have been a great and productive forumite for months and now you are doing it all over again. doh!

Bedrock City sells breathmints!

:takeit: pending scans of the back of the box.

Bob, i've bought from you before and will gladly do so again. I just see some hypocricy in the forum sentiment that we ALL shouldn't buy from Doug...but there is no problem selling to him.

hm

I don't sell to several people, both here and on eBay, because of their behavior.

The money's just not that important to me.

Or because when a seller sends you SOMEONE ELSES book by mistake, you actually lift a finger to find it in 9 months rather than be too important to look for someones measly $170 book that you have by accident??? hm

Isn't this the mix-up involving Cheetah? I was never involved in that, and as far as I know Cheetah made right with you. I don't think you and I have ever even talked or emailed each other.

Made right???

I dont have the book that i want BADLY and you do. Show me where i can buy another perfectly centered 9.6 Avengers 64 Pedigree copy and then i'll be "made right" (thumbs u

Considering everyone involved has told me that the book was sent to you and YOU have misplaced it, i'm pretty sure that you are "involved" hm

But you are correct that we've never talked since you never responded to my email.

I'm sorry your book got lost. And I respond to all of my emails promptly. I didn't misplace your book. Call me and we'll discuss. But don't call me today because my office phone line went kaput. doh!

I sent you an email on 8/4/11 at 5:32pm according to my sent mail folder.

Today is 10/18/11 at 6:39pm and ive yet to receive a response.

When exactly can i expect this "prompt" response? meh

Didn't get it buddy. Only one email sent to me in two and a half months? For being as mad as you are, that's not trying very hard.

Sometimes it is worthwhile to search for your name as you never know what you might be missing. I thought I would set the record straight on this, though.

The book I had sold to Jason was inadvertently included in one of approximately 30 boxes of books I traded to Worldwide last year. The error was entirely my own. I did not catch the error for a couple of weeks and by the time I got in touch with Steve Ritter, the book had been cracked out for pressing. I told Jason I would give him the book when it came back, even if it pressed up to a 9.8.

Turns out that between Worldwide and Classics, the book has been misplaced. It has not been sold, it has not been given away. As a result, I gave Jason his money back and I thought all was well. I am out a decent copy of a non-key Avengers book but since it wasn't even the best copy that I owned at the time, I'm not particularly upset. I've done enough business with Steve to where it all evens out.

As far as I know, Matt wasn't really involved in the deal so getting all over Matt's case isn't really the right way to vent the hysteria. You can be pissed off at me for making the error, and that is fine. I made it right by refunding your money and apologizing for my mistake. It's really the best I can do. But it is important to understand that you have your money back and the book is not 'yours.' The lost book is ultimately between me, Steve and Matt. You calling and emailing Steve (WW emails go to Steve not to Matt) isn't going to get the book back because Steve knows it is not your book. He probably doesn't respond to your emails because I told him it was not an issue between you and Worldwide; it is between ME and Worldwide.

So I would really appreciate it if you would turn down the drama on this one. No one has screwed you and if you feel people are ignoring you, it is because it is no longer your issue to deal with. I have explained all this in the past and thought you had understood. Coming onto the board to bushwhack Matt Nelson about something he is only tangentially associated with is inappropriate.

I'm sick as a dog and puking my guts out so this will probably be my Only response for the next day or two.

I'm sorry Jeff, but I disagree strongly with your little assessment of this situation.

I waited SEVEN months to take a refund from you because I WANT this book BADLY! I knew from your attitude that once I tooh a refund, you wouldn't lift a finger to try and find the book. He'll, you barely lifted a finger BEFORE I took the refund. I'd also point out that once I agreed to a refund, you never sent it!!! A month later, I pm'd you and you said "doh, I knew I was forgetting something."

From day one, Ritter, Matt and especially YOU have acted like you were too good and Important to spend 5 minutes finding my book. I don't care how high you tools are on the registry, that's not the way you treat a customer. I didn't ask you to sell menthe book, you put it in a sales thread and I sent you the money. You seem to have a serial habit of not being able to send buyers the right books and then acting like it's their problem. You did it to me a second time in the comicdonna sales auction where I had to spring an extra $12 to send you back the wrong book that you sent me.

This book may mean nothing to you but it does to me. You had my money for seven months and did squat to rectify the situation and you certainly NEVER apologized about the situation you caused. I'm out a book that I wanted and has proven impossible to replace. You may not Care since it's a "measly" $171 book bit I do. It wouldn't have taken about 10 minutes of your time to get this book found but as you made clear, you won't do that. You and Ritter BOTH told me that the book is sitting at ritters but you both know him well enough to k ow he won't try to find the book. I'm sorry you're upset for me "blasting" a guy thAt makes you a ton of money pressing your books but I call t like imsee it and the way imsee it all of your customer service skills SUCK bigtime (thumbs u

Bob, i've bought from you before and will gladly do so again. I just see some hypocricy in the forum sentiment that we ALL shouldn't buy from Doug...but there is no problem selling to him.

hm

I don't sell to several people, both here and on eBay, because of their behavior.

The money's just not that important to me.

There are lots more reasons than just that. :insane:

Who cares? The completely sad thing is that I have just started enjoying your posts and gotten over the fact that you acted like a raging person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed in your inaugural thread. You have been a great and productive forumite for months and now you are doing it all over again. doh!

C'mon Sean, i'm not doing anything. I'm just showing another side of things. You don't have to agree. It's cool.

I'm still the same nice guy...just showing a different perspective.

Roy's hacked Fingh's account.

C'mon Sean, i'm not doing anything. I'm just showing another side of things. You don't have to agree. It's cool.

I'm still the same nice guy...just showing a different perspective.

Well, you are probably right. But just for future reference, you should probably hit yourself in the head with a tack hammer before you enter a thread that involves Schmell.

Roy's hacked Fingh's account.

That is a low blow.