• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMIKAZE - LA Convention Center, Nov 5-6, 2011

25 posts in this topic

Anyone know anything about this show? Just saw it yesterday in an e-mail advertisement. Stan Lee will be there, but it doesn't seem like a big comic show.

COMIKAZE

I went to the site and cannot make much sense of it. No floor plan map? No list of Exhibitors at all and a bunch of kids show guests; looks like a money grab of some sort rather than the well thought out selection of the LA Convention Center they are selling on the site.

Their website doesn't seem to be updated too well, but you have have Comickaze on Facebook they update regularly and promote it often. The event seems geared more to tv/film and anime with a few comic-related items. I've seen some of their crew at local so cal cons promoting their events to comic booth dealers.

I will be set up at the show and I know Chandler/DWC will be there handling the Stan Lee signing and might have a booth of their own as well (You can get tickets for Stan at the DWC website, including front of the line passes).

So far they have announced some new 52 guys, Stan Lee, Elvira(last con appearance), The creator of Lady Mechanica, the creator of Invader Zim & Johnny the Homicidal Maniac (im so getting a sketch), Bela Lugosi Jr, Academy Award winner Ernest Borgnine (might have him sign a Mchale's Navy comic) plus some others.

The programming and exhibitors list should be up soon and I believe some other "major" guests are still to be announced. I decided to set up at this convention instead of LBCC because of the location and size of the show. According to the CEO they have sold well over 10,000 tickets already and have about 300 exhibitors. They are promoting the show like crazy in L.A which is a good thing. Tickets for attendees are also cheap in comparison to other shows and I think they even come with choice of lithograph.

I know they plan on having a lot of panels and events at the convention. CBS Films will be promoting Daniel Radcliffe's new flick, The Woman in Black at Comikaze. The Hollywood FX guys should also be cool to see and I think they will be set up doing demos on the floor. Stan The Man will have a panel. Plus the Cracked.com crew will be there doing panels, a table read and some other stuff as well!

I don't have my booth number yet but I will be at Comikaze selling original paintings and autographed posters from Henry Hill. The movie Goodfellas was made about Henry's life (Ray Liota played Henry) and he now does paintings depicting the most famous scenes from the film/his real life.

So look for the Mob Art booth, stop by say hi and check us out!

Goldstar was offering free tickets for Saturday a week ago. Not a good sign, but I grabbed two to check it out.

Did you still have to pay the $4.00 Goldstar fee? There are still the "Free" tickets available, but there's a $3-$4 fee to purchase them on the GS site. Good deal if you plan on going I guess.

Too bad no discount for LBCC there.

Some of the initial programming has been announced...

Highlights include 2 panels with Stan Lee, a panel with Bela Lugosi Jr, events for Daniel Radcliffes Woman in Black, New 52 q& a with DC guys, All That cast reunion, Cracked.com panels, a couple of Star Trek cast q&a's, Spotlight on Jhonen Vasquez (Invader Zim), and Paleontology with Morgan Fairchild,lol....

There's lots of other stuff that I didn't mention, not too bad for a first year show and they said they will be continuing to add :wishluck:

http://comikazeexpo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Comikaze2011Panels2.pdf

Does anyone know if there are any other recognizable comic artists besides the ones listed on the Comikaze site (listed below) will be appearing at the Con?

For a comic-themed event it doesn't seem like any of the major-medium sized publishers are appearing and the list of artists and writers scheduled to appear are very light compared to this past weekend's Long Beach Comic Con. May drop by though depending on the weather and traffic to score a sketch from Philip Tan and Joe Benitez.

Philip Tan

Mike Mayhew

Cat Staggs

Joe Benitez

Joesef Rubenstein

Mike McKone

Joel Gomez

Tony Fleecs

Marat Mychaels

Came back from the show and thought it was more for anime, artists, and clothing accessories. More media than anything. Only saw about 6 comic book dealers. Lotta people in costumes for sure. Overall, for the price, I had fun

Are you gonna be there tomorrow?

Showed up this afternoon for the show and it was still brimming with folks. Light on comic dealers. I've heard some folks did well, others not so good. Lots of variety besides comics, and tomorrow will be the test.

If u go, look for a booth in the back corner past the Stan/dwc booths. Tons of trades (some out of print) and other cool stuff. I spent too much but I'm not going back.

Anyone who goes tomorrow, pls post something. I'm curious to hear how it goes

Came back from the show and thought it was more for anime, artists, and clothing accessories. More media than anything. Only saw about 6 comic book dealers. Lotta people in costumes for sure. Overall, for the price, I had fun

Are you gonna be there tomorrow?

Sorry, won't be able to make it today. I have plans this afternoon. Anyhow, tell me how it goes if you are going