• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Statues...Creators' Labo?

6 posts in this topic

So I have been admiring statues from afar, usually through the previews catalog. I've always wanted to buy one or two, but I don't know much about that area as a whole. One particular company has caught my attention more than others...Creators' Labo. I think a couple nice statues would look good in my very modest comic room. I'm not really worried about investment, but I don't want to pay the 100.00 plus price tag if I can only unload them for penny's on the dollar if I need too. What's the statue market like? Does anybody know anything about Creators' Labo? I visited the website but I didn't see anything about the how many of each statue were produced, mostly just pics and such.

Thanks.

I personally collect Bowen Designs statues. The company has been around for years and does some great work. I have around 20 statues, maybe 50 busts or so and have been collecting for years myself. I buy on occasion, when I see something I really like.

I'd say the market for these was a lot stronger a few years ago...statues, like everything, have taken a hit lately. I must say, if you buy statues aftermarket like say, ebay, or from a person you will do much better pricewise. Buying directly from the manufacturer, you may end up spending a bit more than aftermarket places or CON's and thus loose cash if you ever tried to re-sell. Of course, that would also depend on the specific piece.

For instance, a Bowen Designs Chrome Silver Surfer statue sold originally for 250.00 or so...now it goes for 1000.00, but a Bowen Cyclops that originally sold for 250.00 can now usually be had for around 125.00-150.00. It depends a lot on the statue, the production run and the sculpt itself.

I say, like books, buy what you like! They do add a cool dimension to a comic book room. My only suggestion would be to get a glass display case if you do buy a few...dust is a real enemy to a painted statue.

Creators' Labo looks like it specializes in anime and manga type figures. I would wonder about future bootleg recasts appearing later down the road, if they're popular enough and strong sellers.

Is that a problem with Japanese imports, don't they destroy the casts after a certain amount is produced?

Creators' Labo looks like it specializes in anime and manga type figures. I would wonder about future bootleg recasts appearing later down the road, if they're popular enough and strong sellers.

Is that a problem with Japanese imports, don't they destroy the casts after a certain amount is produced?

Recasters will just make a mold from a figure and cast in resin or vinyl. Horrible quality, low, low prices.

Ebay has cleaned up some of it, but there are still sellers out of Taiwan and Thailand specializing in recasts of older sculpts.

"Item hadn't box" CLICK

Honestly, if you like it, buy it and don't worry about it. It's something to be aware of, but original statues with original packaging should hold their value with other collectors. It's more of a problem for producers than collectors. (thumbs u