• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kudos to Scott Williams-A Note on Inking

20 posts in this topic

As many of you are aware, fellow Board member Scott Williams is not just an active member of our community with an impressive collection, he's also one of the more, if not the most, preeminent inkers working in the field today. Far from being just your normal, everyday "tracer" (and yes, I too wince every time I see that MALLRATS scene), Scott's had the chance to work with some of the biggest names in the industry over the last twenty years, from Neal Adams, to David Finch, to to Jim Lee. I'm proud to have a piece of his work in my collection, and hope to be adding more in the future.

DC recently released HUSH: UNWRAPPED, a reprinting of its HUSH storyline from ten years ago which features the pencils of Jim Lee. Although I love Lee's pencils, I would have loved to have seen more of Scott's inks from HUSH.

Fortunately, Comic Book Resources has analyzed pieces from HUSH: UNWRAPPED and discussed the importance of Scott's work on the final product. The article is a strong piece which discusses not only the value of Scott's inking, but just how vital inking is to the final product that appears on the page.

CBR Article on Scott Williams's Work on HUSH

Many have said that a penciller's work can vary wildly over the years; I've always thought that the inker that he or she is teamed with can often explain that variance. It's always nice to see them get the recognition they deserve, and even nicer when that recognition goes to a professional and all-around good guy like Scott.

Really cool article.

I know it's nothing like a Lee/Williams page, but I got the pages below from Anthony Snider, and I found it an interesting exercise to just look at the 2 professional ink jobs of these pages and see the differences...

http://cafurl.com?i=17635

Simple things like how Wonder Woman's face and hair is different, to superman's stubble, to even how much detail they each put into the skulls on their costumes.

Scott Williams is to Jim Lee, what Terry Austin was to John Byrne. A great legendary tandem team.

In addition, I've seen Scott's work over Ed Benes, J. Scott Campbell, and several other pencilers, and hands down, he's amongst the best. I've seen some artists pencils inked over by others and maybe they're inferrior inkers or maybe the artist is truly elevated by the right inker, but I have to say, in placing valuation and desirability to artwork, to get pieces by Jim Lee inked by Scott Williams is the pinnacle.

Scott Williams makes for a great asset to a creative team and equally valued and contributing member, much like in Hockey, where they credit both Assists and Goals, each with equal point value.

Inkers like Scott Williams are often taken for granted. It's great to see a thread like this.

I remember they used to refer to Inkers as Embellishers, which I think sounds more accurate, since inking sometimes implies tracing, and in fact the craft often requires the actual inking job to take sometimes very loose layout pencils and tighten up the detailing, as well as rendering the shading for the depth and texture, as well as often times the fine detailing of each scene's background, from trees, to raindrops, machines, etc.

CHEERS TO SCOTT WILLIAMS !!! :)

Well, I am not sure how artists break up issues with pencils and inks that are separate. I would think Scott would keep his own inked pages and Jim his pencils. Scott would come out on the losing end just because many value the penciler over the inker (which I don't agree with). Jim's pencils would sell for a lot more, that is just the nature of the oa market.

Scott's contribution to Jim Lee's body of work and stature within the industry cannot be over-stated. Look at anything Jim has inked himself and this point becomes very obvious. Scott deserves to be among the all-time great inkers.

And i've never been a fan of having "multiple" versions of a piece. Having one finished piece that both the penciller AND inker sat over and put their creative energy into just seems "right" to me. Call me old fashioned. Having a pencilled version and an inked copy floating around just doesn't sit well with the collector in me for some reason.

Ken

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=19201

I agree on Scott's contribution. He's a terrific inker!

As for separate pencils and inks, I'm torn.

It is interesting to have them next to each other to see what the inker does. If you take a look at my Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes pencil piece by Mike Netzer and the inked version by Joe Rubinstein, you'll see a number of minor alterations that Joe made that really enhanced the piece. Superboy's jaw line is one such.

Hey Alex in this day and age I would say most pencillers make high res scans of their pencils, like the ones used to make the Hush book mentioned earlier in this thread. So even though the pencils no longer exist by themselves, there are digital versions of them for fans to enjoy and compare.

Ken

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=19201

I go away for a few days and everyone starts talking about me!

Taking a break tonight from a brutal deadline on Justice League, I found this thread and want to thank everyone who took the time to read and comment on the article, which was itself a surprise. What an unexpected jolt to read nice things about the VERY misunderstood and under appreciated art of inking. I get to work on some of the highest profile comics and enjoy many of the rewards that come with the territory, but there are some supremely talented inkers who work in relative obscurity. ANYTHING that helps get the word out about what an inker can bring to the table is a rare and welcome occasion.

Thanks guys.

Scott Williams

I go away for a few days and everyone starts talking about me!

Taking a break tonight from a brutal deadline on Justice League, I found this thread and want to thank everyone who took the time to read and comment on the article, which was itself a surprise. What an unexpected jolt to read nice things about the VERY misunderstood and under appreciated art of inking. I get to work on some of the highest profile comics and enjoy many of the rewards that come with the territory, but there are some supremely talented inkers who work in relative obscurity. ANYTHING that helps get the word out about what an inker can bring to the table is a rare and welcome occasion.

Thanks guys.

Scott Williams

It's a very under appreciated job and I remember thinking that way back when Image was first formed. I saw you and Brett Booth sitting at a table happily signing books which was away from the rock stars (lol) main table. Your work speaks for itself and the praise is hard earned and very deserving.