• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three Aces in Overstreet - a little help?

10 posts in this topic

I recently won this book on eBay but cannot for the life of me find it in Overstreet. I've looked under "three" and I've looked under "aces" and can't find it. I don't think it's Ace Comics because of listed publisher and dates listed for books by the way. It's Three Aces from July/August 1946, Volume 5 (listed as V in the book), #53. Published by Double 'A' Comics (Anglo-American Publishers) out of Canada. Is it a Canadian comic? (By the way, there's a nice girl fight in it with a character that's called "The Badgirl" - hair pulling, ripping off of costumes, it's great.)

I just took these pics real quick with my digital camara so sorry for their poor quality. Hopefully you'll get the idea. If you have any ideas, let me know and thanks in advance.

Full comic:

Picture_037.jpg

Title only:

Picture_038.jpg

What does the indicia say as to the title of the book. Sometimes it might be different than the cover title. Although I did a search for Double A Comics in OS. It didn't get a hit at all.

It says Three Aces. I thought it'd have something different in the indica as well but it only confirms what you see on the cover and tells me it's published by Canadian publisher. It's got stories with: Purple Rider; The Crusaders, Interplanetary Explorers; and Red outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed, Adventurer of the South Seas. I've looked up them in Overstreet as well to see if there is any reference to this book but none of them are in Overstreet either. A mystery?

You won't be finding Three Aces or another other "Double A" titles in OS because they are Canadian. Double A stood for "Anglo America Publishing". I have a few titles from this publisher myself, including Grand Slam Three Aces #48 and #49. Grand Slam was another title that was combined into one series with Three Aces at a certain point. Another "AA" title I know of is Freelance. Interesting thing about "AA" was that they held the north-of-the-border liscensing on the Fawcett characters and I believe that some of the same artists worked for both. I even think that there was for a time a separate Captain Marvel series in Canada (any help Fawcett buffs?) though it may have just been reprints of the US title.

I pick up GA Canadian books whenever I can find them cheap. Eventually, IMO, OS should get around to including Canadian comics in their annual survey of "American comics". I think that there was/is enough cultural exchange to make it relevent.

Yep, that is a Canadian comic from Anglo-American working out of Toronto. Most of the early editions of these comics where black and white inside and are generally known as "Canadian Whites. Here is a site with some background on Canadian comics-

Canadian Golden-Age

Yep, that is a Canadian comic from Anglo-American working out of Toronto. Most of the early editions of these comics where black and white inside and are generally known as "Canadian Whites. Here is a site with some background on Canadian comics-

Canadian Golden-Age

Thanks for the link... good info. This comic is all color on the inside and, on the inside front cover, there is an ad for Glo-Crests (a glow-in-the-dark thing) that displays heroes and one of them is Captain Marvel.

ANG is just the 1st letters taken from Anglo-American Publishing in Toronto, ON, Canada.

The Rockford pedigree also has a few b/w Canadian Wow Comics in it published by Bell (see Heritage auction archive). Lost Valley collection has at least 2 Cgc'd Canadian comics in it. Not sure if interiors were b/w or color. confused-smiley-013.gif