• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2022 at 12:20 PM, kimik said:

What are the hot books for this week? The reason I ask is I am not sure what will actually be hitting the shelves with all of the current delays.

The only two books I'm trying to get are the last book to Oblivion song and the Batman 124 Bratukhin cover. 

Otherwise not much this week for me. 

I think the funniest thing I am seeing for the Avengers Forever #6 listings on eBay is that some of the auctions are listed as "already pressed". lol 

Why would you waste the time and $$ on "professionally pressing" modern books selling for the same $9.99 unpressed? Or the Skrull variant selling for $1.99. Even if you are doing it yourself, your time is worth something.

Edited by kimik

On 6/8/2022 at 10:24 AM, ygogolak said:

Tosin? He's had 2 appearances now....

I was attempting sarcasm. Basically, the current frothy market is speculating that any new appearance can have future D+ or MCU tie-ins therefore people are chasing.

It is interesting to see the action on Avengers Forever books, yet the current Spider-Man 2099 Exodus with similar type of 1st apps is not generating any heat. If I was a betting man, I would think that the 2099 universe will be developed at some point.

I do like the Lashley B covers with the borders and think they will do well longer term.

On 6/8/2022 at 9:41 AM, kimik said:

It is interesting to see the action on Avengers Forever books, yet the current Spider-Man 2099 Exodus with similar type of 1st apps is not generating any heat. If I was a betting man, I would think that the 2099 universe will be developed at some point.

I do like the Lashley B covers with the borders and think they will do well longer term.

These books will be so soon forgotten . . . all of them. :sumo: future pennies on the dollar bargain bin stuff. :devil:

On 6/8/2022 at 12:36 PM, divad said:

These books will be so soon forgotten . . . all of them. :sumo: future pennies on the dollar bargain bin stuff. :devil:

Some will, some will not. The key will be to accumulate them again when prices bottom out for a future pop. 

If you do shows, then the covers become more important. There are a ton of books that sell well retail at shows for $10-$20 apiece that do no move elsewhere. Casual buyers see a cool cover in the $10-$20 range and they buy them. Those sales add up very fast and pay for the tables several times over.

Edited by kimik

On 6/8/2022 at 2:20 PM, kimik said:

If you do shows, then the covers become more important. There are a ton of books that sell well retail at shows for $10-$20 apiece that do no move elsewhere. Casual buyers see a cool cover in the $10-$20 range and they buy them. Those sales add up very fast and pay for the tables several times over.

The CGC era has become the era of the cover.

On 6/8/2022 at 9:06 PM, 500Club said:

Definitely. 

There are some weirdos, though. I can remember a few years back when I was dumping a bunch of 90s good girl covers for $2 apiece at a Red & White show and had two middle aged gentlemen breathing heavily while they were excitedly flipping through the covers. At least they took them all so I had two fewer long boxes to lug out.

Edited by kimik

On 6/8/2022 at 12:38 PM, kimik said:

I was attempting sarcasm. Basically, the current frothy market is speculating that any new appearance can have future D+ or MCU tie-ins therefore people are chasing.

105%

On 6/8/2022 at 10:06 PM, 500Club said:

It's a little ironic since the Golden Age is known for having covers to get kids to buy the books, which don't necessarily have anything to do with the stories inside.  Even the first cover appearance of Lois Lane is still debated 80 years later because the cover of Action Comics #27 shows Superman battling a lion and there's no lion anywhere in the book.

80 years later, and we're back where we started.  "Buy the cover, don't worry about the contents!" 

On 6/9/2022 at 11:56 AM, valiantman said:

It's a little ironic since the Golden Age is known for having covers to get kids to buy the books, which don't necessarily have anything to do with the stories inside.  Even the first cover appearance of Lois Lane is still debated 80 years later because the cover of Action Comics #27 shows Superman battling a lion and there's no lion anywhere in the book.

80 years later, and we're back where we started.  "Buy the cover, don't worry about the contents!" 

Right?  Disparaging NOW as the era of the cover (and somehow conflating CGC with that, too) doesn't make much sense.  Even the designation of "Classic cover" predates CGC.  The cover of a comic book is a massive draw and has been since the beginning of the medium.  CGC didn't do it.  We did. 

On 6/9/2022 at 9:56 AM, valiantman said:
On 6/8/2022 at 9:06 PM, 500Club said:

This is why slabbed books with better than expected front covers for the grade fetch a premium. For my PC, I like chasing books with interior issues or damage primarily on the back. 

Edited by kimik