• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

Solar #10 touted by some to be the start of all the variants in the 90's

Solar 10 didn't have any variants, just a second print that was never highly sought after.

(shrug)

I didn't say it was a variant. But the black cover at the time was something unique which was followed very quickly by die-cut covers, different color covers, limited edition covers ect. so Solar 10 wasn't a variant in and of itself but was maybe a catalyst to start the whole thing back in the 90's.

.. Well according to some discussions I've read.

Someone page Valiantman and see if he can help clear this up or let me know if I'm just puffing out smoke.

Punisher War Zone #1, Wolverine #50 and several other die cuts preceded Solar #10 by months.

Solar 10 didn't have any variants, just a second print that was never highly sought after.

(shrug)

I didn't say it was a variant. But the black cover at the time was something unique which was followed very quickly by die-cut covers, different color covers, limited edition covers ect. so Solar 10 wasn't a variant in and of itself but was maybe a catalyst to start the whole thing back in the 90's.

Someone page Valiantman and see if he can help clear this up or let me know if I'm just puffing out smoke.

Seems like an arbitrary choice as a "start of all the variants" but probably worth reading... where are the discussions?

(shrug)

Punisher War Zone #1, Wolverine #50 and several other die cuts preceded Solar #10 by months.

Then you should ignore what I said. :facepalm:

(shrug)

Seems like an arbitrary choice as a "start of all the variants" but probably worth reading... where are the discussions?

just started one :grin:

Chew #1 2nd print is getting somewhere in the $60 range! :o

Where would this be? Closest I could find to that in completed eBay auctions was $39.

I double checked and it's only $40. So I was $20 off. I'm not sure where the $60 came from. doh!

No worries. You just got me excited 'cause I'm sitting on a small stack of the 2nd prints. lol

(shrug)

We should probably distinguish between gimmick covers and variant covers. This discussion seems to center around gimmick covers.

Silver Surfer 50 was an early example.

Adding my 2c

I also noticed the same picks that Catwoman showed so I won't talk about them, instead I'll talk about some others that I've noticed from my website, The Market, that have surprised me.

[*]Star Trek & Dr. Who #1 covers are doing extremely well in the $10+ realm.

yeah, that's what i got for cover b.

(shrug)

smiley_nah.gif

Serious_Nod_Smiley_by_Mirz123.gif

;)

Adding my 2c

I also noticed the same picks that Catwoman showed so I won't talk about them, instead I'll talk about some others that I've noticed from my website, The Market, that have surprised me.

• Amazing Spider-Man #430 still hot at around $15-$20+
  • Kick- #1 is heating back up.
  • Uncanny X-Force #4. wtf? This book is hotter than the first few issues. I'm not sure why.
  • X-O Manowar #1 (1992) early Valiant's are still on the rise.
  • Batman: The Killing Joke is suddenly doing well.
  • Star Trek & Dr. Who #1 covers are doing extremely well in the $10+ realm.
  • Captain America #14 is 1st appearance of Winter Solider
  • Harbinger #1 is again representing Valiant's rebirth.
  • Solar #10 touted by some to be the start of all the variants in the 90's
  • Chew #1 2nd print is getting somewhere in the $40 range! :o

Winter Soldier's first app is Cap 6. I think 14 is just popular because of the cover!

Adding my 2c

• Uncanny X-Force #4. wtf? This book is hotter than the first few issues. I'm not sure why.

Winter Soldier's first app is Cap 6. I think 14 is just popular because of the cover!

Captain America Vol.5 #14 is a key issue because it's the issue that Buckey regains his memory, it's a key part of the Winter Soldier Story Arc.

Adding my 2c

Captain America Vol.5 #14 is a key issue because it's the issue that Buckey regains his memory, it's a key part of the Winter Soldier Story Arc.

A book is hot because of storyline?!?! Can't be! Has to be something else. :jokealert:

Adding my 2c

A book is hot because of storyline?!?! Can't be! Has to be something else. :jokealert:

lol yeah it must also have a low print run :blahblah: that seems to be the only reason a book sells for 2X or higher over cover price now a days according to most eBay sellers. (shrug)

(shrug)

Start of the gimmick covers, rather than variants. Maybe. I always thought it was the multi-colored Batman series LOTDK that came out in '89 that started the gimmick cover trend.

Edited by mrwoogieman

(shrug)

Start of the gimmick covers, rather than variants. Maybe. I always thought it was the multi-colored Batman series LOTDK that came out in '89 that started the gimmick cover trend.

:whistle:

MSH 18 is currently the hottest book in the land.

Sold a VG- copy in under one hour. I had 3 offers and a BIN hit in an hour.

Unbeleivable. If you got a ratty MSH 18 put it up now. This book is hotter then IM 55 was when the Thanos prequel came out.

Wow. We sure are stretching the definition of a modern book now! :baiting:

Unbeleivable. If you got a ratty MSH 18 put it up now. This book is hotter then IM 55 was when the Thanos prequel came out.

what is MSH? marvel super heros?

Wow. We sure are stretching the definition of a modern book now! :baiting:

if it's a book that used to be cheap that's heated up, go with it.