• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,838 posts in this topic

So what do you guys end up doing with books you've purchased and then not been able to offload?

Donate them to charity.

Regarding the above statements ^^. If anyone is interested in actually donating any of their comics to charity, I am aware of one that in fact does specifically accept comics (that's mainly what they are looking for, but will accept action figures and other collectibles of that sort as well) as charitable donations and they will issue you a tax deductible certificate for the Overstreet value of your comics. They have some sort of grading process to determine value, but my take is that you're gonna get a better subjective grade from this charity. You may get a "good" out of a "fair" or a "very fine" out of a "fine" etc. They guy that runs the outfit is not a professional grader and would probably just list it as whatever you said the grade was (unless it looks like you pulled it out of your sphincter and said it was a gem mint or something! ROFL!)

This is not the place to attempt to get GPA $, but let's say hypothetically you've got some old comics that you really aren't going to be able to sell for Overstreet or better....or in some cases they're going for way under Overstreet....this place is great for a tax deduction. It's essentially the same thing as selling your unsellables easily without a hassle and you're helping out folks that are in a bad way. I've got boxes of old but not really sellable stuff I'll be donating myself....

If anyone wants any information regarding this charity, please PM me. It's totally legitimate and run by a local hospital in NJ. They also periodically have comic shows where they sell the stock they've accumulated for their charitiable cause, and it's a great opportunity to pick up gems that others have discarded for whatever reason. Would be cool to see some local boardies at one of these shin-digs.....think the next is coming up in April.

So what do you guys end up doing with books you've purchased and then not been able to offload?

Donate them to charity.

Regarding the above statements ^^. If anyone is interested in actually donating any of their comics to charity, I am aware of one that in fact does specifically accept comics (that's mainly what they are looking for, but will accept action figures and other collectibles of that sort as well) as charitable donations and they will issue you a tax deductible certificate for the Overstreet value of your comics. They have some sort of grading process to determine value, but my take is that you're gonna get a better subjective grade from this charity. You may get a "good" out of a "fair" or a "very fine" out of a "fine" etc. They guy that runs the outfit is not a professional grader and would probably just list it as whatever you said the grade was (unless it looks like you pulled it out of your sphincter and said it was a gem mint or something! ROFL!)

This is not the place to attempt to get GPA $, but let's say hypothetically you've got some old comics that you really aren't going to be able to sell for Overstreet or better....or in some cases they're going for way under Overstreet....this place is great for a tax deduction. It's essentially the same thing as selling your unsellables easily without a hassle and you're helping out folks that are in a bad way. I've got boxes of old but not really sellable stuff I'll be donating myself....

If anyone wants any information regarding this charity, please PM me. It's totally legitimate and run by a local hospital in NJ. They also periodically have comic shows where they sell the stock they've accumulated for their charitiable cause, and it's a great opportunity to pick up gems that others have discarded for whatever reason. Would be cool to see some local boardies at one of these shin-digs.....think the next is coming up in April.

Is this the hero's for hospice?

Created by writer/artist Todd McFarlane, the character first appeared in Malibu Sun #13 (May 1992)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawn_%28comics%29

Just because Wiki says it doesn't make it true. Is there any reputable resurce that confirms that this is in fact the First Appearance of Spawn? Those issues that are at auction are claiming it is.

Is this the hero's for hospice?

Yes.

http://www.barnabashealth.org/hospitals/hospice/comic/#donate

(thumbs u

Makes me proud to work there! :whee:

Been trying to find time to volunteer.....usually the sorting happens on the weekends...that time is often spoken for way in advance between work, the gal, other domestic stuff and such. Oh well, until I can clear up time at least I can contribute by donating some comics to the cause.....helps me, helps others....win/win both ways!

BTW: You guys/gals are doing great work....pretty creative outlet for a really underserved population in grave need of assistance. Whoever thought that up, and whoever provides the legwork certainly deserve some kudos.

Created by writer/artist Todd McFarlane, the character first appeared in Malibu Sun #13 (May 1992)

Just because Wiki says it doesn't make it true. Is there any reputable resource that confirms that this is in fact the First Appearance of Spawn? Those issues that are at auction are claiming it is.

Malibu Sun came out in May

Spawn 1 came out in June, with a cover date of May.

It was talked about here some but the conversation died out quick

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4306609

Just because Wiki says it doesn't make it true. Is there any reputable resurce that confirms that this is in fact the First Appearance of Spawn? Those issues that are at auction are claiming it is.

Malibu Sun was a preview magazine, much like the Diamond Previews today. Spawn appeared on the front and back cover and apparently there are some pin-ups on the inside. Whether an ad or preview is considered a first appearance is left up to the individual collector.

01fa047e-6801-45f6-a20b-1178fd488d32.jpg

14_66979_1_MalibuSun13.jpg

Malibu Sun was a preview magazine, much like the Diamond Previews today. Spawn appeared on the front and back cover and apparently there are some pin-ups on the inside. Whether an ad or preview is considered a first appearance is left up to the individual collector.

01fa047e-6801-45f6-a20b-1178fd488d32.jpg

14_66979_1_MalibuSun13.jpg

I'm into previews as first appearances but if that's the case then Malibu Sun cannot be Spawn's first appearance as this predates it:

1107623_zps02277c3f.jpg