• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

If you're a speculator....and you know it doesn't take much to get a 9.6 in a slab....why pay top dollar for the same finished product with no guarantees of profitability.....when you could easily make the same product for alot less?

How is gambling on a raw eBay book being 9.6 any different than gambling on a slabbed 9.6 going up in value?

Hmmm.....that's not the argument. Both are not guaranteed to go up in value.

BUT if you could purchase a 9.6 raw at 200-300, then slab it and sell it for what the slabbed 9.6 currently is going for, you'd make a coupla bucks.

If you bought a slab for top dollar and then attempted to make additional $ you'd be less certain of accomplishing that.

So to be clear it's all speculation, but buying a raw, slabbing and selling for what slabs are already going for is not as speculatey (<

We're not debating if it's a speculation, we're debating what is more speculative.

If you're buying a raw PP #1 on ebay and paying $300 (which is what the last CGC 9.4 went for), you're gambling on the book grading out above 9.4 and on CGC 9.6 or better copies either staying at their current price level or increasing in value.

If you're buying a CGC 9.6 PP #1 on ebay, you're gambling on CGC 9.6 copies increasing in value.

There are certainly ways of decreasing the risk you take when buying high $$ raw books - buy from a seller with a good return policy & large scans of both the front & back, being able to actually grade yourself, etc - but your argument only makes sense if you're guaranteed that the raw book you just bought on eBay comes back at least a 9.6. Which is most certainly not the case.

That's insane, weren't there sales today in the 20-50 range...I don't know who that blmo seller is, but I do notice all his stuff is on the pricey side. I remember him/her listing runs of valiants, and people were paying retarded prices...

If you're a speculator....and you know it doesn't take much to get a 9.6 in a slab....why pay top dollar for the same finished product with no guarantees of profitability.....when you could easily make the same product for alot less?

How is gambling on a raw eBay book being 9.6 any different than gambling on a slabbed 9.6 going up in value?

Hmmm.....that's not the argument. Both are not guaranteed to go up in value.

BUT if you could purchase a 9.6 raw at 200-300, then slab it and sell it for what the slabbed 9.6 currently is going for, you'd make a coupla bucks.

If you bought a slab for top dollar and then attempted to make additional $ you'd be less certain of accomplishing that.

So to be clear it's all speculation, but buying a raw, slabbing and selling for what slabs are already going for is not as speculatey (<

We're not debating if it's a speculation, we're debating what is more speculative.

If you're buying a raw PP #1 on ebay and paying $300 (which is what the last CGC 9.4 went for), you're gambling on the book grading out above 9.4 and on CGC 9.6 or better copies either staying at their current price level or increasing in value.

If you're buying a CGC 9.6 PP #1 on ebay, you're gambling on CGC 9.6 copies increasing in value.

There are certainly ways of decreasing the risk you take when buying high $$ raw books - buy from a seller with a good return policy & large scans of both the front & back, being able to actually grade yourself, etc - but your argument only makes sense if you're guaranteed that the raw book you just bought on eBay comes back at least a 9.6. Which is most certainly not the case.

Too much logic in your argument....

...but your argument only makes sense if you're guaranteed that the raw book you just bought on eBay comes back at least a 9.6. Which is most certainly not the case.

We can agree to disagree. One of my original points was that it's going to be fairly hard to get less than a 9.6 if you've got your eyes peeled for deals.

Nothing is guaranteed, but with a pair of good eyes and an adequate return policy as you indicated there should be little or no difficulty in obtaining said 9.6.

If you got stuck with a 9.4 that would not be the same situation of course.

Not a recent book, and a variant, but this book has had three recent high sales (all from the same seller)...

I don't know what GPA is, but off the top of my head, this book usually sold around 100-130$ range...

book 1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chaos-Effect-Alpha-nn-CGC-9-4-1994-Valiant-Red-Variant-/300435464567?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item45f3596177

book 2:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chaos-Effect-Alpha-nn-CGC-9-4-1994-Valiant-Red-Variant-Rare-/300871530684?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item460d5738bc

book 3:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chaos-Effect-Alpha-nn-CGC-9-4-1994-Valiant-Red-Variant-Rare-/300872509008?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item460d662650

All three of those are crazy, especially the last one! At one point I had a 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 of this book at the same time...

That's insane, weren't there sales today in the 20-50 range...I don't know who that blmo seller is, but I do notice all his stuff is on the pricey side. I remember him/her listing runs of valiants, and people were paying retarded prices...

This seller has weird secret sales also. I got an email from them a few weeks ago saying since I bought from him before I could get a FCBD Sixth Gun for $20. It had a link to an auction with some weird name and no picture.

I did buy it, and they sent me one.. They must have a bunch.

Damn..I did have this in that box. You guys are awesome. I never even read the damned thing.

damned_zpsbedcf374.jpg

You can thank me with a harby Lemire. ;)

I just grabbed 1 & 2 for cover today on my way to ball hockey, after seeing some of those completed auctions...

How are you finding these? I have been looking for maybe 6 weeks now at two comic cons and about 10 shops. Nothing. But I somehow find a few Annihilation Conquest runs when everyone can't find #6.

You can thank me with a harby Lemire. ;)

I just grabbed 1 & 2 for cover today on my way to ball hockey, after seeing some of those completed auctions...

I might have an extra one of those too. I'm not sure but I do know I have 1 for sure.

Edited by carter3175

We have been talking about it occasionally on The Sixth Gun forum. This is why I bought Immortals #2 for cheap just in case all their work goes. The Damned has always been hard to find.

Bunn also wrote part of Deadpool 1000, I have not read that comic tho. That Immortals 2 books was really good!