• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

I saw some 3ds on the shelf for cover at a couple stores this weekend.

That may have been the quickest I've seen the market go from hysteria to I don't give a damn in all my years collecting.

My LCS got their damage replacements in and put them on the shelf.

Edited by THB

Happy Days replaced Ron Howard with Ted Mcginley

Laverne & Shirley lost Cindy Williams (Shirley) and didnt replace her. Weird

Cheers replaced Shelly Long with Kirstie Alley

Valerie replaced Valerie Harper with Sandy Duncan, which made the show's name change to The Hogan Family

Different World replaced Lisa Bonet with Jasmine Guy

Spin City replaced Michael J Fox with Charlie Sheen

8 Simple Rules replaced John Ritter with David Spade and James Garner

That 70's show replaced Topher Grace with Josh Meyers.

Bewitched with York and Sargent

Hal Jordan replaced by Guy Gardener

MARVEL REPLACED TERRANCE HOWARD WITH DON CHEADLE!

They also replaced the mother on fresh prince of bel air lol

Ya, and I never know which one I considered the "real" Vivian.

That may have been the quickest I've seen the market go from hysteria to I don't give a damn in all my years collecting.

What issues are we talking about? My main LCS had 80% of them at cover before as well, just a couple were jacked up.

Happy Days replaced Ron Howard with Ted Mcginley

Laverne & Shirley lost Cindy Williams (Shirley) and didnt replace her. Weird

Cheers replaced Shelly Long with Kirstie Alley

Valerie replaced Valerie Harper with Sandy Duncan, which made the show's name change to The Hogan Family

Different World replaced Lisa Bonet with Jasmine Guy

Spin City replaced Michael J Fox with Charlie Sheen

8 Simple Rules replaced John Ritter with David Spade and James Garner

That 70's show replaced Topher Grace with Josh Meyers.

Bewitched with York and Sargent

Hal Jordan replaced by Guy Gardener

MARVEL REPLACED TERRANCE HOWARD WITH DON CHEADLE!

They also replaced the mother on fresh prince of bel air lol

roseann replaced frumpy older blonde daughter with hot blonde daughter (later doctor in scrubs)... of course, every now and then they'd make a joke about it on the show "it's like she's a whole different person..."

roseann replaced frumpy older blonde daughter with hot blonde daughter (later doctor in scrubs)... of course, every now and then they'd make a joke about it on the show "it's like she's a whole different person..."

When the original daughter came back, Roseanne even went on and said, "Where the hell have you been?"

What issues are we talking about? My main LCS had 80% of them at cover before as well, just a couple were jacked up.

I did not notice all but I picked up a few I was looking for. Black Adam, Darkseid, Grodd, Arcane, Lobo and Black Manta. I saw a ton of the Riddler and Court of Owls.

Which is weird, because:

-Low print run

-VERY hard to find in good condition.

-Series got hot from the get-go

-They seem to be on schedule with their comic month after month

-A lot of critical praise.

It was over 100 last year/ early 2013

perfect example of how you can tell how new someone is to the modern game. sold my 9.8ss last year for $250 i believe.

A lot of the formerly scorching hot 2012 Image #1s have plateaued and pulled back now, with some totally sewering (e.g. Revival) after the TV/Movie/etc. speculative peak passed. It will be interesting to see how they hold up longer term.

Put all of this in the perspective of "Where was The Walking Dead at after 15 issues???"

perfect example of how you can tell how new someone is to the modern game. sold my 9.8ss last year for $250 i believe.

A lot of the formerly scorching hot 2012 Image #1s have plateaued and pulled back now, with some totally sewering (e.g. Revival) after the TV/Movie/etc. speculative peak passed. It will be interesting to see how they hold up longer term.

Put all of this in the perspective of "Where was The Walking Dead at after 15 issues???"

"Where was the overall indie market at after 15 issues of The Walking Dead?"

Or even put better, where was Spider-Man, X-Men, etc. after 15 issues??

People need to see these stories and series fleshed-out before the true value of them is revealed.

People need to see these stories and series fleshed-out before the true value of them is revealed.

I think it's more apt to look at the #1 issues ect of the 2nd wave of independent titles from the 80's during the independant revolution

I think WD#1 is a great analog for TMNT #1, you just have to wonder if you're holding the next Cerebus #1 or the next Savage Dragon #1?

I know the analogy is not perfect, but I think you can see what I am saying.

The difference being that WD and Saga have a widespread appeal that keeps growing, while MP does not.Without this, the title will not take off. I dropped it quickly - I liked the storyline but hated the artwork - and I was not the only person I know to do the same thing.

I think it's more apt to look at the #1 issues ect of the 2nd wave of independent titles from the 80's during the independant revolution

I think WD#1 is a great analog for TMNT #1, you just have to wonder if you're holding the next Cerebus #1 or the next Savage Dragon #1?

I know the analogy is not perfect, but I think you can see what I am saying.

Good point. Right now the Image/Indie craze reminds me of the early 90s boom where the first generation Image, Valiant, Ultraverse, etc. were all the rage and then fizzled. Over time quality books that can build a fanbase will survive, while the others will die off.

Exactly. You've got to ask yourself; is this a series that people (or you) will remember/care about in 15-20 years? Otherwise, it'll probly slip through the cracks and right into the dollar bin.

IMO, I think that Walking Dead will stand the test of time (obviously) but I don't know as much can be said about Saga. I feel like Saga is a very "now" book, as in it's relevant because of the world we live in and how we perceive it.

Manhattan Projects is a bit too "out there" to catch on main stream IMO. Morning Glories will be highly dependent on how it ends. Because a lot of people hate reading that type of story on a monthly basis. EoW might be too violent? 6th gun is a period piece so that has a shot, since it takes place in the past, people in the future will relate to it in a similar fashion as we do.

In the end, it's also what gets picked up for TV / Movies. I remember TMNT and the Tick very fondly because of their cartoons.

So, maybe the early leader for long term might be Mind MGMT? Esp if Ridley Scott makes a great movie.

MG has no shot at anything. there's no talk about it, pretty much anywhere.

Saga will still be released monthly for at least the next 8 years imo, and will wind out as BKV's best work

Sadly MP was killed by the dullness of the covers, not lending new people to pick up the book and give it a look.

EoW has a shot at being the next Preacher.

MG has no shot at anything. there's no talk about it, pretty much anywhere.

Saga will still be released monthly for at least the next 8 years imo, and will wind out as BKV's best work

Sadly MP was killed by the dullness of the covers, not lending new people to pick up the book and give it a look.

EoW has a shot at being the next Preacher.

Excellent assessment. I think EOW has the chance to appeal to a few more people than Preacher but either way, i love them both. When Sandman was wrapping up, Preacher and Hitman became my next guilty pleasures. Pete could be right though, it could be too violent for broad appeal. I hope that isn't the case.

The difference being that WD and Saga have a widespread appeal that keeps growing, while MP does not.Without this, the title will not take off. I dropped it quickly - I liked the storyline but hated the artwork - and I was not the only person I know to do the same thing.

Well ya, I mean, it's Hickman. He's so friggin cerebral with stuff, to the point sometimes where he just kind of gets so abstract/strange, plus he kind of just jumps right in to his stories without explaining much of anything, so it takes like 5 story arcs before the big picture can be seen.

Manhattan Projects is another title where I find the art is REALLY creepy. It adds this sinister element to the story (Mind MGMT being the other title like this).

Exactly. You've got to ask yourself; is this a series that people (or you) will remember/care about in 15-20 years? Otherwise, it'll probly slip through the cracks and right into the dollar bin.

IMO, I think that Walking Dead will stand the test of time (obviously) but I don't know as much can be said about Saga. I feel like Saga is a very "now" book, as in it's relevant because of the world we live in and how we perceive it.

Manhattan Projects is a bit too "out there" to catch on main stream IMO. Morning Glories will be highly dependent on how it ends. Because a lot of people hate reading that type of story on a monthly basis. EoW might be too violent? 6th gun is a period piece so that has a shot, since it takes place in the past, people in the future will relate to it in a similar fashion as we do.

In the end, it's also what gets picked up for TV / Movies. I remember TMNT and the Tick very fondly because of their cartoons.

So, maybe the early leader for long term might be Mind MGMT? Esp if Ridley Scott makes a great movie.

-Walking Dead, for sure, obviously

-Saga, why is it relevant because of the world we live in? (not sure what you mean).

Y lasted though, and I think that was a much more interesting story. I find it reads almost like a TV show, in deliberate, serialized parts (feels more so than most comics). It's put together well, and interesting enough without being way our there, or hard to grasp like some of the other Sci-Fi titles.

-Manhattan Projects, si to that. I mean, I'm a science guy, so I can see why I'd gravitate towards it, but I mean, I like it but don't think it's amazing. I can't see why others have raved about it though. Like you said, I thought it was too out there as well to catch on (I think Prophet wins the OUT THERE title though).

-Morning Glories, man, it has gotten so hard to keep up with characters/plots/events that have happened. It really doesn't help that the way the characters are drawn makes them all look VERY similar. I agree that the ending will set the bar for it being "yeh" or "nay".

-East of West I think will be in. Has a Japanimation type feel to it, in art and story, and I think it's just too well put together to not last. It is early though, but I think Hickers probably has a good plot set out for it.

-Revival, depending on what the cause is/what the ghosties end up being, I think this one has legs, as it is accessible, easy to read and follow, but has enough intersting elements to catch on.

-Elephantmen, yes, I always mention this, but this is the slow burn that will eventually pick up if/when the movie hits. With 51 issues under its belt, it's still going strong.

-Mind MGMT, again, hard to say why this has so much love, as it is like Manhattan projects. I love it a lot, but can't see a wide audience flocking to it.