• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

This feels like the big pump before the dump. (shrug) The new series starts this month. It's like that yodeling guy from that game on price is right "Yodel yo de day..." Just don't let him go over the edge.

No, it is just the first big jump on the book just like any of the other SA/BA/CA/MA (Next Men #21 is modern, right?) books we have seen spike due to a movie or new series in the past. It runs up, plateaus, settles to a higher number than what it used to be at, then slowly creeps up until the next run. The key is to get in before the big jump and either sell on the way up or wait for the pull back and start accumulating at the new higher ceiling for the next run.

People keep throwing out print runs, but a year or so ago NM #98 and ASM #300 were easy to find raw at 25-50% of the current prices if you were patient. There are tons of them out there, but that has not stopped them from continuing to rise......

yeah, I get what you are saying, it just seems like I have been hearing a lot of talk about this book as the next this or that, a can't lose proposition. I think the book will continue to do well, within reason, but whenever I hear this kind of talk, I get a bit skeptical.

In each era there are only a few characters that become so popular people outside the comic world take notice. Harley Quinn has achieved this, maybe that is why despite a large print run ( I dont even know if the print run was large for BA 12 ) prices for this comic continue to rise. Harley Quinn's first seems to be as close to a " can't lose proposition " as can be found in this market.

This feels like the big pump before the dump. (shrug) The new series starts this month. It's like that yodeling guy from that game on price is right "Yodel yo de day..." Just don't let him go over the edge.

No, it is just the first big jump on the book just like any of the other SA/BA/CA/MA (Next Men #21 is modern, right?) books we have seen spike due to a movie or new series in the past. It runs up, plateaus, settles to a higher number than what it used to be at, then slowly creeps up until the next run. The key is to get in before the big jump and either sell on the way up or wait for the pull back and start accumulating at the new higher ceiling for the next run.

People keep throwing out print runs, but a year or so ago NM #98 and ASM #300 were easy to find raw at 25-50% of the current prices if you were patient. There are tons of them out there, but that has not stopped them from continuing to rise......

yeah, I get what you are saying, it just seems like I have been hearing a lot of talk about this book as the next this or that, a can't lose proposition. I think the book will continue to do well, within reason, but whenever I hear this kind of talk, I get a bit skeptical.

In each era there are only a few characters that become so popular people outside the comic world take notice. Harley Quinn has achieved this, maybe that is why despite a large print run ( I dont even know if the print run was large for BA 12 ) prices for this comic continue to rise. Harley Quinn's first seems to be as close to a " can't lose proposition " as can be found in this market.

The auction that ended at $885 last night alleviated my concerns a bit. I'd still like to see her hold down a long term solo series again. If the new series holds strong, I'd say she has arrived.

The auction that ended at $885 last night alleviated my concerns a bit. I'd still like to see her hold down a long term solo series again. If the new series holds strong, I'd say she has arrived.

Wait, isn't it panic time? That's almost a 20% drop from the last 9.8 auction!

:jokealert:

Wait, isn't it panic time? That's almost a 20% drop from the last 9.8 auction!

:jokealert:

I get it lol , but the last "auction" of a 9.8 universal was 756 an increase of just over 18%. The 1000 sale was a BIN.

GPA avg got to be around $875

Edited by Junkdrawer

Wow! Campbell's "Arabian Knight" character is an exact copy of Marvel's Arabian Knight.

arabianknight_zps30dfa637.png

Do you guys recognize any of the other characters from elsewhere?

Boss the Gooch kind of looks like Boss Nass.

Ultrasphinx_(All-Star_Superman)_001.png

Boss Tut = Ultrasphinx

Scarecrow_(Animated).jpg

Fright = Scarecrow

goroclassic.png

Multi arm guy = Goro from Mortal Kombat.

So then J.Scott Campbell invented Goro as well???

As well they should be. With copies in 9.8 selling at $1000+ buyers are obviously thinking press and fast track and relist. A 9.6 consolation is a win too and 9.4 is borderline break even. I still think 9.8s are going to be hard to manufacture

There has been exactly 1 sale for a CGC 9.8 copy in $1,000 so far, so saying it's "selling at $1000+" seems a bit premature.

There's no question this book is blazing hot, but there's no chance a $1k price tag on a 9.8 is sustainable in the long run - the print run is too big and it's never been that hard to find in 9.8. After the recent price surge, the CGC census is going to explode.

Spoken like a guy who missed the boat.There was a SS9.8 that sold for 1300 the other night.

Why is it that every time someone suggests a book might correct in price, someone else suggests the comments are related to sour grapes. This board has the maturity of teenagers, at times.

Hahaha. I know. I don't get it either. I mean, there's a zillion "boats" that I'm not on.

That "Action Comics #1", about that Superfellow? Never last. I'm telling you, it's going to tank.

It's hard to say, too, without accurate print runs. Someone says it's DEFFINETLY 200,000, then someone says it's 50,000. Doesn't help people's perceptions, one way or the other.

Totally disagree with Harley being one of them. No way people outside of comics are aware of her in substantial numbers. Where have you ever seen anything Harley Quinn related in popular culture that's not in a comic, cartoon, or video game, or that a person who's not really into those things would stumble upon??? Even Deadpool, for the most part???

As well they should be. With copies in 9.8 selling at $1000+ buyers are obviously thinking press and fast track and relist. A 9.6 consolation is a win too and 9.4 is borderline break even. I still think 9.8s are going to be hard to manufacture

There has been exactly 1 sale for a CGC 9.8 copy in $1,000 so far, so saying it's "selling at $1000+" seems a bit premature.

There's no question this book is blazing hot, but there's no chance a $1k price tag on a 9.8 is sustainable in the long run - the print run is too big and it's never been that hard to find in 9.8. After the recent price surge, the CGC census is going to explode.

Spoken like a guy who missed the boat.There was a SS9.8 that sold for 1300 the other night.

Schmidt never misses the boat, i'm sure he has stacks of them. Pretty dumb comment

Schmidt never misses the boat, i'm sure he has stacks of them. Pretty dumb comment

Schmidt is piloting the boat that we are all trying to jump on (worship)

Totally disagree with Harley being one of them. No way people outside of comics are aware of her in substantial numbers. Where have you ever seen anything Harley Quinn related in popular culture that's not in a comic, cartoon, or video game, or that a person who's not really into those things would stumble upon??? Even Deadpool, for the most part???

Ok, maybe saying that she has achieved any substantial notice outside of the comic world is premature but she IS one of only a few characters created in the last few decades to enjoy a huge fan base and is viable long term from an investment perspective.

Edited by MrWeen

She's pretty damn popular. I know a lot of people who know of her that know nothing of comics because they watched the animated series as kids. Which is where she's really from anyway. Also I would be willing to bet she is in one of the new Batman films in the next few years and then who knows how high it will go. And I don't have one so this is an unbiased opinion.

Edited by Neo778

Ok, maybe saying that she has achieved any substantial notice outside of the comic world is premature but she IS one of only a couple characters from the last few decades to enjoy a huge fanbase and I still think she's viable long term from an investment perspective.

Si. That makes more sense. I agree with this for sure.

There's not a lot of characters created in the last 20-30 years who have lasted, in terms of frequency in comics, importants to stories/teams/events/etc, and popularity.

Harley, Deadpool, Cable, Gambit-kind of???, Sinister and Apocalypse-again, kind of, Michonne???, Spawn I guess (don't know much about him though), Hellboy maybe? (again, don't know him).

It's very hard now to get a character to become ingrained in a comic universe like this, as stories and characters are all over the place now, across multiple series and creative teams.

I was actually thinking about all this a while ago, and really, there aren't a whole hell of a lot of ones created later than 1990, with the majority being the 60's characters, and then smaller amounts in each subsequent decade leading up to the 90's, that have penetrated into non-comics culture/pop-culture/regular society/become household names.

By that, I mean the average person being able to name them, or having some idea of who the character is, and also having products with the characters on them (i.e. a kids lunch box/shoes/clothing you'd find at wal-mart or a department store, adult shirts at somewhere like Bluenotes, other middle of the road teen/20-something stores, products at HMV like mugs, bobbleheads, logos, etc).

Other than the original Marvels and DC, I mean there's Wolverine and Punisher, that I can think of. Other than that, I really can't see any others.

She's pretty damn popular. I know a lot of people who know of her that know nothing of comics because they watched the animated series as kids. Which is where she's really from anyway. Also I would be willing to bet she is in one of the new Batman films in the next few years and then who knows how high it will go. And I don't have one so this is an unbiased opinion.

Ya, but I mean, many people watched the X-Men cartoon as well (so good), yet Morph, Beast, Mr.Sinister, 99% of the cast, haven't had huge gains in popularity due to the series. Knowing a character from a cartoon you watched as a kid doesn't really mean she's a household name, or popular outside of the comic world. Millions of kids watched Reboot, and know the names of the charaters. Knowing the characters really means nothing in situations like these.