• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

I guess my thing is this. It is rather easy to say that a book will decrease in sales. I would bet that it happens in over 90% of comics that come out each month. Maybe one of the more analytical guys could give exact numbers but I think I'm being conservative at 90%. If you want to look like a genius just say that every book that comes out will decrease in sales and you will be correct the vast majority of the time.

You are right. But, this dovetails with the reality that over 90% of series are not huge successes. They sink to and settle at a sales plateau that reflects true readership. The rare successes see a rising readership, which leads to supply/demand imbalances in previous issues, which leads to secondary market success.

If you are hoping for a series to be a success, you are usually hoping for increasing sales.

I agree but thats not the norm as prices tend to rise on several series but sales almost always fall. Batman and almost all of DCs stuff goes up in spite of lower sales after issue 1. Same can be seen with Superior Spider-man, Todd, Clone, and many more.

I don't think we will see another TWD any time soon.

Saga and Injustice Gods Among Us both are the only recent major books I can think of where readership has grown from their initial issues and even they dropped a little in sales recently.

Moderns that have grown from their initial readers? Try Hawkeye and Peter Panzerfaust

Yes, you are correct. PP went from 4800 to 7700 and Hawkeye has gone from 35.000 to 40,000. These are very good examples and I'm sure there are others. I was simply pointing out that while the majority of books don't increase in value, the majority of those that do rise in value have not increased readership though I readily admit that books that increase in readership, increase in value.

Thief of Thieves is more typical of the market. Initial sales of over 17,000 and current sales of 12,500. Still, number 1 brings $60. I can't explain it as there is I see no reason why a book would increase in value losing 25 to 30 percent of its readership. This is also similar to the decrease in sales to Batman as a percentage but with Batman, there 50,000 more #1s than there are readers and that is assuming not one person bought 2 issues for themselves last month. I find that very unlikely.

wrong forum but i though some of u would appreciate seeing todays haul, nothing makes me happier than a saturday sale of 1/2 million comics for ten cents held in an underground pool store

B8210466-C434-4950-A1C1-A98F06F8C261-758-000000C1A953D115_zps559c8957.jpg[/img]

i'm not sure what an underground pool store might be but i can appreciate your haul- nice.

they sell pool supplies and billiard equipment

Not a Turkish bath house?

:fear:

:roflmao:

More like a dungeon but i felt safe only because I brought a large friend who's only job was to hunt for copies of BA 12.

I guess my thing is this. It is rather easy to say that a book will decrease in sales. I would bet that it happens in over 90% of comics that come out each month. Maybe one of the more analytical guys could give exact numbers but I think I'm being conservative at 90%. If you want to look like a genius just say that every book that comes out will decrease in sales and you will be correct the vast majority of the time.

You are right. But, this dovetails with the reality that over 90% of series are not huge successes. They sink to and settle at a sales plateau that reflects true readership. The rare successes see a rising readership, which leads to supply/demand imbalances in previous issues, which leads to secondary market success.

If you are hoping for a series to be a success, you are usually hoping for increasing sales.

I agree but thats not the norm as prices tend to rise on several series but sales almost always fall. Batman and almost all of DCs stuff goes up in spite of lower sales after issue 1. Same can be seen with Superior Spider-man, Todd, Clone, and many more.

What you describe is always the case for issues one to about three or four. LCSs and various speculators always front load orders at the start of a series. Go ahead and look at numbers from issues three to seven, and see what the sales trend is.

What you describe is always the case for issues one to about three or four. LCSs and various speculators always front load orders at the start of a series. Go ahead and look at numbers from issues three to seven, and see what the sales trend is.

You beat me to the punch. Batman is the most successful title of any of the big 2 offerings because readership stayed so high after the #1 speculation.

Most of the other DC New 52 #1s and all of the Marvel Now #1s have dropped even more (Superior Spidey is what, 40% or so of #1 orders now) since the big speculative rush is done.

You also have to take in the multiple cover effect on all of the recent Marvel (how many variants do most of the Marvel Now #1s have?) and post New 52 DC #1s (Justice League of America 52 covers anyone?). Or, most recently, look at WD #115 and the 15 or 16 different covers.

You beat me to the punch. Batman is the most successful title of any of the big 2 offerings because readership stayed so high after the #1 speculation.

Most of the other DC New 52 #1s and all of the Marvel Now #1s have dropped even more (Superior Spidey is what, 40% or so of #1 orders now) since the big speculative rush is done.

You also have to take in the multiple cover effect on all of the recent Marvel (how many variants do most of the Marvel Now #1s have?) and post New 52 DC #1s (Justice League of America 52 covers anyone?). Or, most recently, look at WD #115 and the 15 or 16 different covers.

I understand what you are saying. It doesn't change the fact that there are 50,000 more Batman issue #1s than there are monthly readers. The book still brings $50. My initial point was that I think Rat Queens will do well even if there is a drop similar to Batman and other books. lol

I understand what you are saying. It doesn't change the fact that there are 50,000 more Batman issue #1s than there are monthly readers. The book still brings $50. My initial point was that I think Rat Queens will do well even if there is a drop similar to Batman and other books. lol

Yup. Got that. But the counter is that there is effectively ALWAYS a drop similar to Batman. It's what happens after that initial drop that will matter. Sales will either rise, level, or plateau.

Yup. Got that. But the counter is that there is effectively ALWAYS a drop similar to Batman. It's what happens after that initial drop that will matter. Sales will either rise, level, or plateau.

Agreed and it's been a good discussion. It always opens my eyes a little wider to hear, or rather read, the opinions of others than my own and my small little circle. :grin:

Agreed and it's been a good discussion. It always opens my eyes a little wider to hear, or rather read, the opinions of others than my own and my small little circle. :grin:

(thumbs u :foryou:

(thumbs u :foryou:

:foryou:

But the people that comprise that readership is not static either. Some people drop the book, some pick it up and start looking for the back issues.

So even if there are 50k copies more than readers, there must be a bunch of people either hoarding it (or just keep buying copies looking for 9.8's), or interested in it that didn't grab it off the stands.

I hope that's not too obvious of a statement.

Superior Spider-Man 20 J. Scott Variant and pre-orders for his SSM 22 variant are on FIRE right now.

Isn't this a 1:50, whats going on here.

JSCs fame as a cover artists are rising to new levels.

Look at prices for #20.. they havent backed off at ALL.

But the people that comprise that readership is not static either. Some people drop the book, some pick it up and start looking for the back issues.

So even if there are 50k copies more than readers, there must be a bunch of people either hoarding it (or just keep buying copies looking for 9.8's), or interested in it that didn't grab it off the stands.

I hope that's not too obvious of a statement.

No, thats good info that adds another piece to the puzzle. I was up with a sick kid ( he was certain he was going to die ) all night last night so my mind is not at peak operating capacity. lol