• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

I hope it's not that b.s. from the Nowhere Men thread about getting the next arc in the can for bi-weekly release.

+1

The 600th variant of Nowhere Men #1? We're long overdue for the multicolored DMT sparkly glow in the dark edition.

Can I HAZ!!!!!!

It will cost you only four hundred of your finest green pieces of presidential paper sir!

Psh I don't deal in dead presidents only the sweet smell of maple and Robert Borden.

The best was in a Wolverine comic (The End I think?) when he opened a case........of red 50's! hahahhahaha

I was doing it quite a bit in 2012-2013, but not trying to guess which titles would be hot, mainly playing arbitrage and finding the stores that still had hot issues on the rack for cover or less.

The arbitrage thing is huge, for the simple fact that most stores don't keep up as fast as you guys at the boards do. Especially when the people at the stores aren't even aware of a title, let alone it's value.

(I asked some place if they had ANY issues of Manifest Destiny (as in any number), they where like "What's that?". A lot of stores don't even really follow what's being put out, let alone the pricing trends.)

I like this list of the hot 200 titles. I don't always agree with the order but it is reflective of comics moving on ebay and elsewhere.

http://comicsheatingup.net

Man!

I wish that the planet Helheim was still hot on was Earth.

It's a dain-bramaged list.

But fun.

Why.........it's as if there's a bit of cut-and-past in the list. But you'd never use that technique, right Lawrence?

I bought 15+ VF copies of The Strain (Vol 1) #3 out of a 25¢ bin on the sidewalk today. Guy working the counter inside told me he couldn't sell me some of the books I found because they had (ancient) price tags on them, therefore someone had made a mistake putting them in the 25¢ bin; took away my "$6" Glamourpuss's :(

So you, in effect, did some of the guys work for him, by sorting through the issues, flagging some valuable (you also did the initial research to know what was worth grabbing), inaccurately priced merchandise, and bringing them to him.

You should have charged the jerk for your efforts.

Edited by Dukes40

I wonder how many got graded at Philly.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the or one of the top subbed books.

Top subbed modern books were the ASM Gamestop variants - I saw a handful of WD 127s go through the booth, but that was pretty much it :shrug:

I was doing it quite a bit in 2012-2013, but not trying to guess which titles would be hot, mainly playing arbitrage and finding the stores that still had hot issues on the rack for cover or less.

The arbitrage thing is huge, for the simple fact that most stores don't keep up as fast as you guys at the boards do. Especially when the people at the stores aren't even aware of a title, let alone it's value.

(I asked some place if they had ANY issues of Manifest Destiny (as in any number), they where like "What's that?". A lot of stores don't even really follow what's being put out, let alone the pricing trends.)

The business of most comic book stores GENERALLY is to sell new comics, that's the bread and butter, and hopefully to subscribers at that. Any other sales including merchandise and sale of premium back issues (modern OR older) are generally just gravy on top it. EVEN in a situation where there is a significant stock of older comics, the local market for those comics will be limited by geography unless you happen to me in a MAJOR metropolitan market, which in the US is pretty much New York, maybe Chicago, OR you have a store so big that you buy from everywhere and people come to find you from miles or states away (think Milehigh or Lonestar).

So any time spent following newish trends on moderns and coppers, while potentially valuable, may not always be worth the time of the store manager or owner to recognize the trend, assess a new price, find the item, and reprice it in most cases. And even if they do it, sometimes it turns off potential customers. Like if I like to go hunting for cover price 'deals' of moderns, I might also go pick up some other random stuff when I go. But if that place marks up valuable back issues, I'm not going to go hunting at that store, maybe another one that's a little slower in marking up the inventory.

Top subbed modern books were the ASM Gamestop variants - I saw a handful of WD 127s go through the booth, but that was pretty much it :shrug:

I subbed 4 9.8s. Don't see a need to grade a stack of 'em yet.

The business of most comic book stores GENERALLY is to sell new comics, that's the bread and butter, and hopefully to subscribers at that. Any other sales including merchandise and sale of premium back issues (modern OR older) are generally just gravy on top it. EVEN in a situation where there is a significant stock of older comics, the local market for those comics will be limited by geography unless you happen to me in a MAJOR metropolitan market, which in the US is pretty much New York, maybe Chicago, OR you have a store so big that you buy from everywhere and people come to find you from miles or states away (think Milehigh or Lonestar).

So any time spent following newish trends on moderns and coppers, while potentially valuable, may not always be worth the time of the store manager or owner to recognize the trend, assess a new price, find the item, and reprice it in most cases. And even if they do it, sometimes it turns off potential customers. Like if I like to go hunting for cover price 'deals' of moderns, I might also go pick up some other random stuff when I go. But if that place marks up valuable back issues, I'm not going to go hunting at that store, maybe another one that's a little slower in marking up the inventory.

That coincides with what I've heard from the owner of the largest LCS here. He explained to me that new comics are over 80% of his monthly sales, CCGs, board games, shirts, statues, etc. make up roughly 12% of sales and back issues make up the other 8%. It would be difficult to spend a lot of time and effort on just 1/12 of your business imo.

i think different stores are going to have different ratios and that ratio will be further altered if the store also sells online, but yes, new issues and tpbs are going to be the primary concern.

it's just the margin on back issues can be huge. someone brings in a stack of what seems to be 100 drek comics and they pay 5 cents each ($5), but there's a nice X-Factor 6 ($50?) in there along with a NTT 44 ($40) (certainly not inconceivable)..even if the rest is blown out for 25 cents each...

OTOH, if you accumulate a lot of slow moving back issue inventory, there are costs involved too (floor space, bags and boards, aside from the acquisition cost)

i think different stores are going to have different ratios and that ratio will be further altered if the store also sells online, but yes, new issues and tpbs are going to be the primary concern.

it's just the margin on back issues can be huge. someone brings in a stack of what seems to be 100 drek comics and they pay 5 cents each ($5), but there's a nice X-Factor 6 ($50?) in there along with a NTT 44 ($40) (certainly not inconceivable)..even if the rest is blown out for 25 cents each...

OTOH, if you accumulate a lot of slow moving back issue inventory, there are costs involved too (floor space, bags and boards, aside from the acquisition cost)

I take the following approach to buying and then unloading collections - keep the keys or mark them up, put the commons at 50% of guide, then blow out the rest of the books worth even up to $10 in the guide out at $1 apiece. As long as you buy properly you will make your money back from the $1 books, double it with the commons and lesser keys, then keep the best of the books for a rainy day/future gains.

There are plenty of late BA into CA collections out there right now that can be bought for $0.50 or less per book that can be flipped readily for a nice profit. For example, last week I picked up a small 1200 book collection for $500 that is 90% late BA and CA. There is a nice run of New Teen Titans #1-10, DC Comics Presents #26 & #27, Star Wars #35 - 50, plus a bunch of other CA keys/hot books.

10347707_10152573782326934_3371314344392363340_n.jpg

So AAAPPParently the ECCC excl. involved Roc hand writing eccc exclusive bearded variant on the front....

Very rare...heh...

tempted to buy this as I can sell the regular #2 2nd prints for around 30....

Haha ! The best thing about this book is the sense of humor amid the chaos that is the Rat Queens. That cover is perfect. :applause:

Edit: I just noticed the MTG cards behind the book in your picture. What kind of MTG card would the Rat Queens be ?

Edited by The Authority

So AAAPPParently the ECCC excl. involved Roc hand writing eccc exclusive bearded variant on the front....

Very rare...heh...

tempted to buy this as I can sell the regular #2 2nd prints for around 30....

Are the regular 2nd prints really going for $20+ on eBay?

mess. I saw 3-4 copies on Friday and passed. If anyone is in Chicago, the GCC off of Michigan had them when I was there. Go get 'em.

I subbed 4 9.8s. Don't see a need to grade a stack of 'em yet.

^^

What's the point grading a book that's importance hasn't even been established. 4 seems about right to hit the 'early-bird buyers', but until we, as readers actually know what Kirkman has planned for the new characters in TWD #127, then it's all academic.

#92 should grow with every month Jesus lives and contributes, the same with #108 with Ezekiel.

But until #127 establishes itself - it's not worth anything. For all we know, Magna dies next week, and the young Asian girl becomes the "big" character to come from the issue.

It's certainly a book that should do well - but not for a couple of years.

Print run was 74,000, so it's a common book - and one that is going to be physically well read, so the smart thing would be to box them up, and wait for a couple of years. Kirkmans pushing on to 300 issues still, right?

2c

^^

What's the point grading a book that's importance hasn't even been established. 4 seems about right to hit the 'early-bird buyers', but until we, as readers actually know what Kirkman has planned for the new characters in TWD #127, then it's all academic.

#92 should grow with every month Jesus lives and contributes, the same with #108 with Ezekiel.

But until #127 establishes itself - it's not worth anything. For all we know, Magna dies next week, and the young Asian girl becomes the "big" character to come from the issue.

It's certainly a book that should do well - but not for a couple of years.

Print run was 74,000, so it's a common book - and one that is going to be physically well read, so the smart thing would be to box them up, and wait for a couple of years. Kirkmans pushing on to 300 issues still, right?

2c

Hmm, some would beg to differ

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=walking+dead+127+cgc+9.8&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Edited by ygogolak