• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

I really don't see the difference in this and any other variant that comes out with a $15+ price tag (incentives, con variants, ect...) (shrug)

That's right. There's no difference.

I don't see a difference. Do you see a difference?

Normally, I would agree... but in this particular case, you've got a cross-market situation.

Star Wars action figure collectors would love to have a vintage carded Boba Fett, but how many do?

At $1,000+ each, it's not an approachable collectible for most.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161583271874

Then you've got the "modern comic variant" market, which is eating up all kinds of high-dollar variants that have zero cross-market value.

Somehow, a few of those do end up more valuable than they start... with some as crazy as ASM #678 Mary Jane Venom.

Higher print run, yes, but 5,000 isn't 50,000.

At $25 each, the most you can lose is $25, and you still have a pretty cool "vintage Boba Fett on card" cover to display, even if it's worthless.

It's a can't lose situation... unless you just can't lose $25 in this hobby. (shrug)

assuming you only bought 1....

True... I guess if people bought more than one they'll have to risk the situation that no one will give them more than $2 each when they want to sell.

I'm a comic expert as well as a speculation expert or sexpert as some like to say.

My detailed analysis of this book, quantities, demand and cost show me that there are at least some people willing to pay $20 for this book. Now, if my calculations are correct, I believe this book is the new IH 181.

If I am wrong, which according to my girlfriend is alwayse... Then God help us all. You may never see that $20 ever again.

Remember, this is just speculation, but I am a sexpert.

For more advice on comics I provide a detailed pop-up book showing the ins and outs for a mere $20.

Thank you, and goodnight.

I really don't see the difference in this and any other variant that comes out with a $15+ price tag (incentives, con variants, ect...) (shrug)

Normally, I would agree... but in this particular case, you've got a cross-market situation.

Star Wars action figure collectors would love to have a vintage carded Boba Fett, but how many do?

Then you've got the "modern comic variant" market, which is eating up all kinds of high-dollar variants that have zero cross-market value.

Somehow, a few of those do end up more valuable than they start... with some as crazy as ASM #678 Mary Jane Venom.

At $25 each, the most you can lose is $25, and you still have a pretty cool "vintage Boba Fett on card" cover to display, even if it's worthless.

It's a can't lose situation... unless you just can't lose $25 in this hobby. (shrug)

Your analysis only works for collectors buying a single copy of a single variant.

Speculators buying multiple copies have much more to lose. Collectors who have to have every variant have much more to lose.

If you can delay your gratification...you stand a much better chance of winning. And, on the off-chance that this is one of the very, very rare variants that "takes off"...the money you'll have saved not buying all of them for $15-$20-$30 each will more than compensate for the $XXX you have to pay for whatever.

I have gobs of some of the most valuable variants of the 1990's...15-20 long boxes full....and almost none of them have seen even 5% of their highs...and that's for the ones that HAD such highs.

Granted, I paid very little for them, long after they had fallen out of favor...but anyone who paid early 1993 prices for Valiant golds and reds? Still, to this day, haven't recovered. People who paid 1999 prices for Aria variants? Or Witchblade variants? Still haven't made it back. And there are thousands more than aren't even worth what they cost brand new.

For every Ultimate Spiderman #1 White, there are dozens of Punisher #1 White, Bishop #1 White, Spiderwoman #1 White, Sentry #1 White....the list goes on forever...

All while fantasic, amazing examples of the artform languish for lack of interest....

Your analysis only works for collectors buying a single copy of a single variant.

Speculators buying multiple copies have much more to lose. Collectors who have to have every variant have much more to lose.

If you can delay your gratification...you stand a much better chance of winning. And, on the off-chance that this is one of the very, very rare variants that "takes off"...the money you'll have saved not buying all of them for $15-$20-$30 each will more than compensate for the $XXX you have to pay for whatever.

I have gobs of some of the most valuable variants of the 1990's...15-20 long boxes full....and almost none of them have seen even 5% of their highs...and that's for the ones that HAD such highs.

Granted, I paid very little for them, long after they had fallen out of favor...but anyone who paid early 1993 prices for Valiant golds and reds? Still, to this day, haven't recovered. People who paid 1999 prices for Aria variants? Or Witchblade variants? Still haven't made it back. And there are thousands more than aren't even worth what they cost brand new.

For every Ultimate Spiderman #1 White, there are dozens of Punisher #1 White, Bishop #1 White, Spiderwoman #1 White, Sentry #1 White....the list goes on forever...

All while fantasic, amazing examples of the artform languish for lack of interest....

G-D Sentry WHITE!!!!!

if this were a Walking Dead Action Figure Cover, there wouldn't be this much hate.

What hate...?

We're not 14, are we, and so easily swayed by emotion and "OMG I'M TOTALLY WILLING TO SUSPEND ALL REASON IF I THINK IT'S COOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!!!"

Right....?

It's neat. It's a great concept.

Hopefully, it doesn't get played out, like every other neat idea of the last 150 years, but it probably will.

Discussing the situation rationally doesn't mean there's "hate" involved.

It's very, very dangerous that pop culture has equated "disagreement", or even a simple rational pause, with "hatred."

But, I guess, "haters gonna hate."

One thing that I will say is this.. Many thought that Star Wars million copy print run would cause a crash. Look at us 3 months later. How many star wars related titles are marvel running now? 4-5?

How much discussion was on this board about sw related "heating" books.. SW Ross 1:50, Hot topic, DV#3, now this..

Kudos marvel for figuring this market out

if this were a Walking Dead Action Figure Cover, there wouldn't be this much hate.

What hate...?

We're not 14, are we, and so easily swayed by emotion and "OMG I'M TOTALLY WILLING TO SUSPEND ALL REASON IF I THINK IT'S COOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!!!"

Right....?

It's neat. It's a great concept.

Hopefully, it doesn't get played out, like every other neat idea of the last 150 years, but it probably will.

Discussing the situation rationally doesn't mean there's "hate" involved.

It's very, very dangerous that pop culture has equated "disagreement", or even a simple rational pause, with "hatred."

But, I guess, "haters gonna hate."

Word!

Han Solo Action Figure Variant was selling close to $20 when it first hit..now it's more.

$20-$30 for a brand new book, but, it has never sold for less, so not like it started at cover.

No, that was NOT it's original price.

that last part I was talking about Boba Fett, not Han Solo, Solo was severely limited in LCS but I'm sure some people were able to get it at cover but it accelerated very quickly to $20 and stayed there.

Edited by krighton

This is a AF variant from a 3rd party. Marvel is going to release a Boba AF variant as well. Why wouldnt they release one of arguably their 2nd best character?

I cannot tell if it is anger that has blinded you, but marvel is selling only 5000 copies of this variant, through the outlets that are posted. There will be no more AF variant Boba Fett. And since his site is sold out, better get to C2E2 to get yours. Or you can buy one of mine for $100.

lol

(tsk)

Don't bet on it. Or... do bet on it. :grin:

Because surely Marvel wouldn't do a Boba Fett AF variant for an upcoming SW issue. Surely they'll let this be the only AF cover of the cash cow Boba Fett, and settle for a miniscule profit on 5000 books. Because Marvel would never milk an idea...

Han Solo Action Figure Variant was selling close to $20 when it first hit..now it's more.

$20-$30 for a brand new book, but, it has never sold for less, so not like it started at cover.

that last part I was talking about Boba Fett, not Han Solo, Solo was severely limited in LCS but I'm sure some people were able to get it at cover but it accelerated very quickly to $20 and stayed there.

The AF variant for Star Wars #2 wasn't severely limited. If dealers even ordered ONE copy for every 100 of the regular they ordered there's close to 10,000 of these.

There are 25-30 of these on eBay at all times and sales go on constantly for them. There's no shortage and I see multiple dealers with anywhere from 10 to 25 copies at every show I go to.

Anyone buying this book right now is going to be extremely disappointed at it's value in another year or two when people finally figure out there's no 'shortage'.

The AF variant for Star Wars #2 wasn't severely limited. If dealers even ordered ONE copy for every 100 of the regular they ordered there's close to 10,000 of these.

There are 25-30 of these on eBay at all times and sales go on constantly for them. There's no shortage and I see multiple dealers with anywhere from 10 to 25 copies at every show I go to.

Anyone buying this book right now is going to be extremely disappointed at it's value in another year or two when people finally figure out there's no 'shortage'.

or maybe in the months after the movie they'll all be sold to happy collectors? yay! Everybody wins!

Just finished reading today's WD. Massive print run aside, all the stars seem to be aligning for #100. Whether or not demand will ever outweigh supply would seem to be the only obstacle.

as long as they keep him alive, everything should be ok for WD 100s. He's as iconic a figure as Rick at this point

Edited by krighton

or maybe in the months after the movie they'll all be sold to happy collectors? yay! Everybody wins!

Is that how it works? The collector's market demand and prices go up AFTER the movie?