• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

I don't know if this book will be profitable for you guys, but that artist just grossed $100K. There's the real profit. lol

I was thinking the same thing as I watched people buy them. I wonder how many artist make this kind of money this quick and if this could become a short term trend ? If I'm an artist, I'm exploring my options.

Literally anybody can do their own variant.

not if you're dealing with the Marvel/Disney 2 headed monster..you do what they say you can do.

And you call up their marketing dept, and say "Hi, I'm so and so, and I would like to do an exclusive variant cover...what are the requirements?"

Follow those requirements, and VOILA!

Your own exclusive variant.

I'm talking about people just 'doing' variants...they protect their licensing pretty religiously... I read they were having diamond pull all the Dark Horse Star wars stuff so it couldn't be ordered, mostly TPBs but still.

No one is talking about doing non-licensed product.

Wow, what a shock to log on tonight to 186 new posts! But nothing useful... ;) I bought two copies, one for myself and one to sell, whether that be on eBay or a facebook group or where ever. I guarantee that someone will at least give me enough to get my money back on this, even if it doesn't turn out to be the biggest thing since NM 98.

Not modern comics related, but The Knick was a better show than True Detective last year (however, Fargo was the best).

Well then I have to watch it because True Detective was pretty special imo.

I really liked The Knick, but sorry, True Detective was better IMHO

Not modern comics related, but The Knick was a better show than True Detective last year (however, Fargo was the best).

+1

Not to be "that guy" but the last show I watched that was near as gripping was The Wire.

+1

Not to be "that guy" but the last show I watched that was near as gripping was The Wire.

TD was an excellent show. Corey Stoll in House of cards was a - may - zing!

Cant wait to see Corey play Yellowjacket in Antman (thumbs u

+1

TD was an excellent show. Corey Stoll in House of cards was a - may - zing!

Cant wait to see Corey play Yellowjacket in Antman (thumbs u

Corey Stoll is the man, I become a bigger fan of his every time I see him in something

Darkstar - good points. Well i guess maybe i will see its just the luck of a few factors that have helped it take off. Since Diamond still has copies of #34 and #36 it would seem likely that the print run would be similar for #35 though possibly that one dealer on ebay took all remaining copies once they had a few impressive sales.

Wow, what a shock to log on tonight to 186 new posts! But nothing useful... ;) I bought two copies, one for myself and one to sell, whether that be on eBay or a facebook group or where ever. I guarantee that someone will at least give me enough to get my money back on this, even if it doesn't turn out to be the biggest thing since NM 98.

NM 98 wasn't the biggest thing since NM 98 for nearly 20 years.

10 years ago, people were routinely laughed at for bringing up NM 98.

So.

There is that.

NM 98 wasn't the biggest thing since NM 98 for nearly 20 years.

10 years ago, people were routinely laughed at for bringing up NM 98.

So.

There is that.

For a decade #87 was the KEY in the run.

#100 routinely outsold #98 in bins as well.

I'm talking about people just 'doing' variants...they protect their licensing pretty religiously... I read they were having diamond pull all the Dark Horse Star wars stuff so it couldn't be ordered, mostly TPBs but still.

No one is talking about doing non-licensed product.

MarkFool.jpg

I really don't see the difference in this and any other variant that comes out with a $15+ price tag (incentives, con variants, ect...) (shrug)

That's right. There's no difference.

I don't see a difference. Do you see a difference?

Normally, I would agree... but in this particular case, you've got a cross-market situation.

Star Wars action figure collectors would love to have a vintage carded Boba Fett, but how many do?

At $1,000+ each, it's not an approachable collectible for most.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161583271874

Then you've got the "modern comic variant" market, which is eating up all kinds of high-dollar variants that have zero cross-market value.

Somehow, a few of those do end up more valuable than they start... with some as crazy as ASM #678 Mary Jane Venom.

Higher print run, yes, but 5,000 isn't 50,000.

At $25 each, the most you can lose is $25, and you still have a pretty cool "vintage Boba Fett on card" cover to display, even if it's worthless.

It's a can't lose situation... unless you just can't lose $25 in this hobby. (shrug)

Your analysis only works for collectors buying a single copy of a single variant.

Speculators buying multiple copies have much more to lose. Collectors who have to have every variant have much more to lose.

If you can delay your gratification...you stand a much better chance of winning. And, on the off-chance that this is one of the very, very rare variants that "takes off"...the money you'll have saved not buying all of them for $15-$20-$30 each will more than compensate for the $XXX you have to pay for whatever.

I have gobs of some of the most valuable variants of the 1990's...15-20 long boxes full....and almost none of them have seen even 5% of their highs...and that's for the ones that HAD such highs.

Granted, I paid very little for them, long after they had fallen out of favor...but anyone who paid early 1993 prices for Valiant golds and reds? Still, to this day, haven't recovered. People who paid 1999 prices for Aria variants? Or Witchblade variants? Still haven't made it back. And there are thousands more than aren't even worth what they cost brand new.

For every Ultimate Spiderman #1 White, there are dozens of Punisher #1 White, Bishop #1 White, Spiderwoman #1 White, Sentry #1 White....the list goes on forever...

All while fantasic, amazing examples of the artform languish for lack of interest....

TOTALLY AGREE.

Collectors who are putting thousands of dollars into brand new variants hoping that one of them will someday be worth a thousand dollars are going to lose. Period.

You can't spend $2,000 hoping that something you bought will be worth $1,000 when the rest are worthless.

There are too many collectors who get really excited by "limited" and just hand over their money.

ANYTHING can be "limited". Many things are "super-limited" right now. What ELSE makes the item desirable?

If the answer is "there's a super-hot female drawn on the cover" ---- well, yeah... so what? There are tons of those. There will be tons more printed next month... and the month after.

If the answer is "it's also the limited edition of the first appearance of a character with a rumor about something" ---- well, yeah... so what?

Should anyone pay $20+ each for the possibility maybe someday a brand new character might be more important than the other new characters introduced before or after?

Go ahead and buy all the rookie cards in sports, too, because one in a thousand will make it to the hall of fame.

When it comes to variants, "limited" just isn't enough... what ELSE?

People should keep their money until they can answer the "else". (thumbs u

I really don't see the difference in this and any other variant that comes out with a $15+ price tag (incentives, con variants, ect...) (shrug)

That's right. There's no difference.

I don't see a difference. Do you see a difference?

Normally, I would agree... but in this particular case, you've got a cross-market situation.

Star Wars action figure collectors would love to have a vintage carded Boba Fett, but how many do?

At $1,000+ each, it's not an approachable collectible for most.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161583271874

Then you've got the "modern comic variant" market, which is eating up all kinds of high-dollar variants that have zero cross-market value.

Somehow, a few of those do end up more valuable than they start... with some as crazy as ASM #678 Mary Jane Venom.

Higher print run, yes, but 5,000 isn't 50,000.

At $25 each, the most you can lose is $25, and you still have a pretty cool "vintage Boba Fett on card" cover to display, even if it's worthless.

It's a can't lose situation... unless you just can't lose $25 in this hobby. (shrug)

Your analysis only works for collectors buying a single copy of a single variant.

Speculators buying multiple copies have much more to lose. Collectors who have to have every variant have much more to lose.

If you can delay your gratification...you stand a much better chance of winning. And, on the off-chance that this is one of the very, very rare variants that "takes off"...the money you'll have saved not buying all of them for $15-$20-$30 each will more than compensate for the $XXX you have to pay for whatever.

I have gobs of some of the most valuable variants of the 1990's...15-20 long boxes full....and almost none of them have seen even 5% of their highs...and that's for the ones that HAD such highs.

Granted, I paid very little for them, long after they had fallen out of favor...but anyone who paid early 1993 prices for Valiant golds and reds? Still, to this day, haven't recovered. People who paid 1999 prices for Aria variants? Or Witchblade variants? Still haven't made it back. And there are thousands more than aren't even worth what they cost brand new.

For every Ultimate Spiderman #1 White, there are dozens of Punisher #1 White, Bishop #1 White, Spiderwoman #1 White, Sentry #1 White....the list goes on forever...

All while fantasic, amazing examples of the artform languish for lack of interest....

TOTALLY AGREE.

Collectors who are putting thousands of dollars into brand new variants hoping that one of them will someday be worth a thousand dollars are going to lose. Period.

You can't spend $2,000 hoping that something you bought will be worth $1,000 when the rest are worthless.

There are too many collectors who get really excited by "limited" and just hand over their money.

ANYTHING can be "limited". Many things are "super-limited" right now. What ELSE makes the item desirable?

If the answer is "there's a super-hot female drawn on the cover" ---- well, yeah... so what? There are tons of those. There will be tons more printed next month... and the month after.

If the answer is "it's also the limited edition of the first appearance of a character with a rumor about something" ---- well, yeah... so what?

Should anyone pay $20+ each for the possibility maybe someday a brand new character might be more important than the other new characters introduced before or after?

Go ahead and buy all the rookie cards in sports, too, because one in a thousand will make it to the hall of fame.

When it comes to variants, "limited" just isn't enough... what ELSE?

People should keep their money until they can answer the "else". (thumbs u

You're right, how I choose to spend my money is totally your business. From now on, I'm running all my spending past you.

Why are your thoughts on hydro? I mean, ya, lights and heat are great, but it's not an IH181.... I dunno man... Advice?