• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

y84bEP8.jpg

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaxxon

Star Wars #8 will be heating up in three months.

( I just shot forward on Vic Von dooms time platform )

Jaxxon is the Deadpool, Harley Quinn & Squirrel Girl of the Star Wars universe.

Man that brings back good memories. I hope that cover isn't overly expensive. Very funny. :D

Man that brings back good memories. I hope that cover isn't overly expensive. Very funny. :D

Who? Donnie Darko comic now?

Edited by ygogolak

(shrug)

together = one continuous story. Comic books are released once a month, these two issues go together and were released in the same month. The are the issues of those books, for July.

apart = 7 days apart, avenging spider-man on its existing release day, captain marvel on its brand new release day

Wow, is this a serious comment?

Who? Donnie Darko comic now?

Haha ! There is a similarity. :grin:

DC Comics Presents 26 contains a story that is not available in New Teen Titans 1.

still a preview

If you say it enough times, that ought to make it true. Except for people who understand what the prefix "pre" and the word "view" mean, of course.

It was a preview yesterday, its a preview today, and it will be a preview tomorrow. You can insult me as much as you want, it won't make you any less wrong. Its referred to as a preview by its creators and serves the purpose of a preview.

You are not arguing that this preview is not the first appearance of the New Teen Titans though, correct? Just trying to understand why it being called a "preview" is so important to you. I can live with the preview label, because you are correct it is a preview, but it is also the first appearance of the New Teen Titans (Starfire, Cyborg, and Raven.)

Semantically, there have been tons of unlabeled previews over the years. Amazing Fantasy 15 has a 8 page preview of Spider-Man, for example. I believe some collectors are differentiating those previews (stories inside a comic) from the previews which are pages pulled from the first appearance of a character and bundled in a book containing other such previews. Then you have the "Previews" magazine which might have the technical first appearance of a character, but doesn't constitute an actual comic itself. Many Marvel Age issues fall into this last category.

Preview is such an overloaded word in some of these cases. Can the Incredible Hulk issue featuring the first appearance of Thunderbolts be considered a preview? Or does a preview have to be included in a comic and separate from the title's story ala Arak's preview in the Warlord title? Does a preview have to be identified by the publisher/creators ahead of time?

Edited by rjrjr

Someone please stand up and say Carol doesnt become Captain Marvel in Captain Marvel #1, then go on to prove it.

Once that is done, I will say, whoops, I guess my comment saying people are pushing trash on here and missing the forest for the trees was wrong.

I think people are arguing with you because they really don't care if she first becomes Captain Marvel in CM 1, chronologically speaking, when the Avenging Spider-Man issue was released first and features her as Captain Marvel. That would make it her first appearance as Captain Marvel, since the book released first, even though its telling a story that occurs after the events of CM 1. This is what I have gathered browsing the thread, having never read or owned an issue of Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, or Avenging Spider-Man.

Is Detective Comics 27 the first appearance of Batman or Detective Comics 404 which features Bruce Wayne as Batman chronologically before the first appearance in Detective Comics 27?

I don't have any of these books, I haven't read any of these books and I don't really care, but just from past experience on the way these things shake out, I'd label the books as follows:

MSH13 = 1st Carol Danvers

Avenging = 1st Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel 1 = nothing on the label, unless the book becomes super important, which I doubt, and people demand it be labeled "Origin Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)"

Traditionally, release date trumps story chronology as a first appearance and the first time an existing character shows up in costume as a new superhero is the book to have. And yes, I'd consider a female Captain Marvel as much of a new superhero as say...Barry Allen Flash or Hal Jordan Green Lantern, Jason Todd as Robin or Azrael as Batman (ugh)...

Ding ding ding ding!

Just catching up on this thread, and it's amazing how long it took for someone to point this out. Captain Marvel is more appropriately labeled as an origin, as it tells the story of how she took the name. While many origin stories (e.g. Amazing Fantasy #15) are also first appearances, this one is not, because Danvers appeared as Captain Marvel in Avenging #9 the previous week. Which book is more important is a different discussion and will depend largely on what you're chasing. Personally I think Captain Marvel #1 is more important, but if you're strictly chasing first appearances (and including first appearances of a n existing characters with a new name, costume, powers, etc.) then Avenging is your book.

This is correct. Plus on the first page Avenging #9, it says on the first page check Captain Marvel #1 on sale next week to see how it happens. This is classic ASM 252 vs SW #8.

CBT you would be correct if Avenging Spiderman was a cameo, but it's not. Importance of storyt and market value are irrelevant. Avenging Spider-man is First Appearance of Carl Danvers as Captain Marvel.

Edited by catch21

This is correct. Plus on the first page Avenging #9, it says on the first page check Captain Marvel #1 on sale next week to see how it happens. This is classic ASM 252 vs SW #8.

CBT you would be correct if Avenging Spiderman was a cameo, but it's not. Importance of storyt and market value are irrelevant. Avenging Spider-man is First Appearance of Carl Danvers as Captain Marvel.

First person with a valid point of debate, and not surprisingly, unlike everything that went on last night, you've actually read the book in question.

I did point out already, that the 7 day offset, (of the two that go together clearly), was to help boost the sales of Captain Marvel.

ComicVine lists Amazing Spider-man 252 as May 1st, and Secret Wars 8 as December 1st. These books were then 7 months apart, with SW8 being a throw back in December to a story from the spring.

They were not "the issues" from that month for both series (apparently SW 1 was the same month as ASM252).

Captain Marvel #1 remains the book where she becomes Captain Marvel. That AS9 which follows it directly, came out 7 days earlier, was never in dispute.

It's still two books that go together, and a forest for the trees date chase.

Edit:

=======

CGC labels should be as I said last night:

Captain Marvel #1 - Carol Danvers becomes Captain Marvel

Avenging Spider-man #9 - Captain Marvel appearance( story continues Captain Marvel #1, but released 7 days earlier)

Edited by CBT

I think people are arguing with you because they really don't care if she first becomes Captain Marvel in CM 1, chronologically speaking, when the Avenging Spider-Man issue was released first and features her as Captain Marvel. That would make it her first appearance as Captain Marvel, since the book released first, even though its telling a story that occurs after the events of CM 1. This is what I have gathered browsing the thread, having never read or owned an issue of Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, or Avenging Spider-Man.

I started the discussion with a loaded comment no doubt. If an existing character changes her name, the book where she changes her name, is the relevant book. My point about forest and trees remains, and was always about people chasing a date or previews as opposed to the actual event in question.

The people in the thread, with relation to me or "Arguing" with me, fall into three categories.

1.) Those having an honest discussion about the merits of both books. I respect that, and have no problem with it.

2.) People who have AS9 to sell and dont like me not drinking the kool-aid, or taking kool-aid out of would be victims hands.

3.) My haters, mostly people who have lost arguments in the past and "cant handle the truth"/"are mad bro".

CM1 is the book where Carol becomes Captain Marvel, no amount of debating can change that.

Right. And Superman 1 is the book where Kal El becomes Superman, which is why no one wants Action 1 or considers Action 1 the first appearance of Superman. It just happened because of release-date scheduling to come out first, making it an interesting little footnote in comics history, but nothing more. Real collectors know that Superman 1 is the one to have.

I agree with his points, I dont agree that Captain Marvel is an origin story, because its not.

AS9 continues directly out of it, they are the same story, produced at the same time, released together, 7 days apart, AS9 sold in stores first only because of an existing release date/week.

"together" = "apart"

(shrug)

You. With the logic. Get out.

First person with a valid point of debate…

I'm not sure what you think I said that was invalid.

But I'll also note that you're not excepting yourself from your statement.

Someone please stand up and say Carol doesnt become Captain Marvel in Captain Marvel #1, then go on to prove it.

Once that is done, I will say, whoops, I guess my comment saying people are pushing trash on here and missing the forest for the trees was wrong.

Is Detective Comics 27 the first appearance of Batman or Detective Comics 404 which features Bruce Wayne as Batman chronologically before the first appearance in Detective Comics 27?

I think you mean Batman 404. But yes, historically, Batman 404 is considered the first appearance of Batman as that is when Bruce Wayne BECOMES Batman. If you are a collector of release dates, I guess you can chase Detective...what number was it again? 27?

But if you want the first moment in history when people first saw the character of Batman, you want Batman 404.

ASM 252 KEY COMMENTS

Ties with Marvel Team-Up #141 for

1st appearance of the black costume.

Amazing Fantasy #15 cover swipe.

SECRET WARS 8 KEY COMMENTS

Origin of the alien symbiote that

eventually becomes Venom.

Right. And Superman 1 is the book where Kal El becomes Superman, which is why no one wants Action 1 or considers Action 1 the first appearance of Superman. It just happened because of release-date scheduling to come out first, making it an interesting little footnote in comics history, but nothing more. Real collectors know that Superman 1 is the one to have.

For your pathetic straw-man to be valid, superman and action 1 would have to have been released a week apart, with action 1 trying to boost sales of superman 1, the stories following directly, and of course... MSH13 is Carols first appearance.

Captain Marvel #1 is the book where she takes the name Captain Marvel.

You. With the logic. Get out.

That was already explained at length. Go and quote my reply if you want to see that straw man explained.

Weird that they wouldn't want their endorsement to be public.

Yah, weird that some people are non-confrontational and dont want to have a giant pointless name calling argument with nerds.

Sometimes its that, other times its a particular person they want to comment on but dont want it to be public.

There are lots of reasons.

You should try and keep this stuff in one post, anyway,

MSH13=1st Carol Danvers

CM1=Carol becomes Captain Marvel.

no amount of wailing and flailing can change those facts.

Edited by CBT

Seriously though...

How did this pass CGC? Why doesn't this book have a Green or Yellow label? Was it signed on the case?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-Marvel-1-Variant-B-9-8-CGC-Vol-6-Signed-Kelly-Sue-DeConnick-Marvel-Now-/171512784755?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27eef56773

It's been signed on the case, if you use the magnifier it's pretty clear.

Plus the book was graded in 2012 and the auction states it was signed at Heroes 2014.