• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,853 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2022 at 2:09 PM, valiantman said:

The problem is that "between 1 and infinity" is intellectually dishonest and completely unrealistic.

Sounds like the definition of the comics industry . . . :banana:

How much gold still exists buried in the ground on Earth?  There are varying estimates, no one really knows, but "between none and more than the weight of the universe" isn't a final answer.

Obviously, but it's a start. :bigsmile:

The problem is that "between 1 and infinity" is intellectually dishonest and completely unrealistic.

Books that set all time records are known, X-Men #1, specifically.  The number of copies of Spawn #1 is known, etc.  They're not "infinity".  Spawn #1 is under two million.

Books that sold 100,000 copies in North America in the first month most likely didn't sell 200,000 copies total.  "between 1 and infinity" is a ridiculous answer when it's nearly a certainty the number is "under 200,000".

Saying the answer is 1,400 could easily be wrong (too low) by a factor of ten.  Yes, that's annoying if someone wants to say 1,400 when the answer is closer to 14,000...

But saying the answer could be "infinity" is always wrong (too high) by a factor of... infinity.  It's never helpful, and it's never the best answer. 

How much gold still exists buried in the ground on Earth?  There are varying estimates, no one really knows, but "between none and more than the weight of the universe" isn't a final answer.

Saying I don't know instead of speculating is still more honest than guessing

On 2/24/2022 at 8:27 AM, awakeintheashes said:

These Damn Kids #1 from last week also. 

Second Sight put out a slew of one-shots last week. I wonder if any of the others will get a bump in value as well.

As for "These Damn Kids", there are web exclusive covers available at Second Sight's site:

https://www.secondsightpublishing.com/store

I grabbed the virgin variant. The regular covers are sold out there.

Edited by Lord Gemini

On 2/23/2022 at 10:15 PM, The Meta said:

Saying I don't know instead of speculating is still more honest than guessing

There's a record of the number of sales in the first month in North America for most modern books at Comichron.com, gives us a lower number. It's unusual for that number to be double unless some publisher printed more than two times their actual orders, so that sets an upper number also.

A book sold 40,000 in the first month in North America?  Great, that means it sold 40,000 to probably no more than 80,000 total.  That's not a blind guess, it's a valid range from data we have.

Having a lower limit and upper limit is way more honest than saying "I don't know" and suggesting it could be infinity.  How much more honest?  An infinite amount.

You should start your own search engine.  No matter what is searched, just go to a page that says "I don't know".  You could be the most honest search engine and have dozens ones one user.

Edited by valiantman

On 2/24/2022 at 7:34 AM, valiantman said:

There's a record of the number of sales in the first month in North America for most modern books at Comichron.com, gives us a lower number. It's unusual for that number to be double unless some publisher printed more than two times their actual orders, so that sets an upper number also.

A book sold 40,000 in the first month in North America?  Great, that means it sold 40,000 to probably no more than 80,000 total.  That's not a blind guess, it's a valid range from data we have.

Having a lower limit and upper limit is way more honest than saying "I don't know" and suggesting it could be infinity.  How much more honest?  An infinite amount.

You should start your own search engine.  No matter what is searched, just go to a page that says "I don't know".  You could be the most honest search engine and have dozens ones one user.

Yeah, since I was kidding about infinity because its absurd, its not a stance I'm going to defend 

On 2/24/2022 at 10:52 AM, The Meta said:

Yeah, since I was kidding about infinity because its absurd, its not a stance I'm going to defend 

:cheers:

Believe it or not, people often find this website when they're searching for info online and there are some who would take you at your word that we can't know anything about any of the print runs.

We know something about a lot of print runs... usually, a lower limit based on first month North American orders.  Stopping at "I don't know" implies that www.comichron.com doesn't have hundreds of pages of industry information.

On 2/23/2022 at 7:20 PM, Lord Gemini said:

For what price though? I know my Spawn #243 didn't come cheap.

I just checked the prices and good god, man! :ohnoez:

To each his own and all but I'd never pay that much for a 10 year old Spawn comic that isnt slabbed and signed by Todd.

On 2/24/2022 at 12:13 PM, lostboys said:
I just checked the prices and good god, man! :ohnoez:

Yeah, I'm glad I collected a nearly complete run from #1 to #210 about twelve years ago, but filling in the holes from #211 into the high 200's now is proving to be painful.

Edited by Lord Gemini

On 2/24/2022 at 8:57 AM, valiantman said:

:cheers:

Believe it or not, people often find this website when they're searching for info online and there are some who would take you at your word that we can't know anything about any of the print runs.

We know something about a lot of print runs... usually, a lower limit based on first month North American orders.  Stopping at "I don't know" implies that www.comichron.com doesn't have hundreds of pages of industry information.

You are right, it is a short sided approach 

On 2/24/2022 at 12:40 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Has UF 4 replaced Walking Dead 1 as the highest priced non variant modern book?  Can't think of any others in that range...

Off the top of my head, if you're talking 9.8 sales, Batman Adventures 12 is selling recently around the same price as UF4: ~$3,500.

Edited to add - I think Invincible 1 9.8s are even higher, I didn't check though.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 2/24/2022 at 12:55 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Off the top of my head, if you're talking 9.8 sales, Batman Adventures 12 is selling recently around the same price as UF4: ~$3,500.

Edited to add - I think Invincible 1 9.8s are even higher, I didn't check though.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars #1 is up there as well, though maybe not as high as UF4.

Edited by Lord Gemini

On 2/24/2022 at 1:18 PM, Lord Gemini said:

Yeah, I'm glad I collected a nearly complete run from #1 to #210 about twelve years ago, but filling in the holes from #211 into the high 200's now is proving to be painful.

That's an awesome run.

Yeah, I wish I hadn't stopped collecting back in the day. I only go 1-115 and then it jumps all the way to 298.

I'd love to fill that gap but I don't see it ever happening unless I get lucky at a flea market or pawn shop. 

I have a Spidey run I'd like to finish before I die 😆

I blew all my Spawn 💰 on these

20220224_171518.jpg

On 2/24/2022 at 2:38 PM, Lord Gemini said:

Star Wars: The Clone Wars #1 is up there as well, though maybe not as high as UF4.

And yet, I don't dare send mine of either of these in for slabbing, with the TATs and apparent QC issues being as they seem. So, in mylar they'll all stay. (shrug)

On 2/24/2022 at 5:15 PM, jcjames said:

And yet, I don't dare send mine of either of these in for slabbing, with the TATs and apparent QC issues being as they seem. So, in mylar they'll all stay. (shrug)

Yeah, I have a fairly sizable stack of potential submissions myself, but I just can't motivate myself to send them in only to have to wait a good nine months for them to come back.