• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,861 posts in this topic

It probably happened like this:

Kid grabs Hulk 180. "Wow, who's this character at the end. Looks neato???"

Kid grabs Hulk 181. "Wow, this new character's awesome, and the story is great. Hey everyone, get Hulk 181, its awesome!"

Next Kids: "Wow, this Hulk 181, IS great! Wolverine is the man!"

And then it snowballs from there. Demand for 181 probably shot up, as people wanted it for the story, not so much the 1st appearance aspect. No reprints, trade paperbacks, digital comics to get the story from. Things then get buried in the past, then resurface 38 years later on some chat board.

This is not what happened. Wolverine...and the X-Men...were essentially ignored until 1978. Wolverine himself was almost written out of the X-Men, until John Byrne saved him.

Truth.

Here's one of his best.

criticalerror_zpsb2eb091a.jpg

Kid grabs Hulk 181. "Wow, this new character's awesome, and the story is great. Hey everyone, get Hulk 181, its awesome!"

And then it snowballs from there. Demand for 181 probably shot up, as people wanted it for the story, not so much the 1st appearance aspect. No reprints, trade paperbacks, digital comics to get the story from. Things then get buried in the past, then resurface 38 years later on some chat board.

This is not what happened. Wolverine...and the X-Men...were essentially ignored until 1978. Wolverine himself was almost written out of the X-Men, until John Byrne saved him.

Truth.

Here's one of his best.

Found it online, looked at it. Kind of cool. Not 100% on the ending though. Hard to make it out from the drawings.

So.. the girl has a robot guardian??

I think its simple, once Wolverine developed fans they wanted to go back and read him from the beginning.

There's not much to his cameo in 180, but in 181 he's front and center thru the story, so people gravitated to wanting that book as Wolverine fans.

I think something similar would have happened if we saw Captain America (in ice) at the end of Avengers 3, and then he was thawed out and joined the avengers in #4.

--------

Marvel didn't know how to best utilize its assets. Omega, Man from atlantis, the Human Fly, Skull the Slayer, Nova,Team USA, Devil Dino, Dazzler...etc .....all of these got their own titles, but it took Punisher 15 years to get his (and Wolverine the same!)? Punisher was clearly Spideys' coolest and bestest frenemy for a decade and I can't imagine that his guest appearances didn't provide a sales pop. Maybe it took them until the late 80s to decide - yes, we can do a whole series where the hero just shoots and kills people!!

Well, I mean, the scenario I laid out could also have happened once he got popular after 1978. I was saying more that the 181 could have been the bigger one after a bit simply because people were picking it up based on that story vs the 180 story.

This is all just theories on my part, though. Brainstorming out loud. Does anyone actually know the turning point, or when the 181 got bigger/why it got bigger? Like, anyone who's a bit older, and would remember the dynamics at the time (similar to the story that Amadeus laid out).

Somewhere around 79/80 Wolvie really became the coolest X-man and was given a bigger role in the series and then interest in his 1st app started picking up from there $-wise.

What astonishes me is how long it took for ASM 129 to pop.

I fondly remember Marvel in the early-to-mid-80s, where a Wolvie or Punisher appearance in an unrelated title was still exciting and a fun discovery for me.

By the end of the 80s, Marvel had completely wrung them dry and I was in no hurry to buy a new book with either one of them in it ever again. (And in fact... I never did!)

seriously, ASM went from 202 (early 1980) to 284 (early 1987) without a Punisher appearance! (ok, he was in Annual 15 (1981) and did show up a few times in Spectacular Spiderman during that stretch, but you get the point)...honestly, i think that was too long, but talk about not oversaturating the market...you'd think they would have had one prior to the punisher mini to get people excited

Punisher also popped up in Daredevil #183-184 (1982), and the Peter Parker run of #81-83 (1983). Somewhere else too I think? The Punisher mini came out at the end of '85, so not too long a stretch without him.

I remember as a kid really getting into Wolverine during the X-Men and when Miller's LS came out...

:ohnoez:

Those odd balls that got their own books I was also a fan of. I still take flak for Rom... :(

Punisher also popped up in Daredevil #183-184 (1982), and the Peter Parker run of #81-83 (1983). Somewhere else too I think? The Punisher mini came out at the end of '85, so not too long a stretch without him.

Still some of my favorite covers :headbang:

Hi, could you guys help me out with something?

Someone offered me

Batman # 620 -713 (end first series) Incl crossovers Nightwing,Robin ,Batman & the Outsiders: 13 issues

Detective # 783 - # 881 (end first series)

for 150 euros. I dont know how much the worth of the batman comics is before the new 52 and i want to get the last issues before new 52. Do you think that this is a good deal?

Im new in the comicworld, sorry for the noob question.

The guy wanted 250 euros for:

Batman # 620 -713 (end first series) Incl crossovers Nightwing,Robin ,Batman & the Outsiders: 13 issues

Detective # 783 - # 881 (end first series)

Batman : Streets of gotham # 1- 21 (last issue) (2009)

Batman & Robin # 1-26 (last issue) (2009)

Batman & Robin # 1- 5 (2011) New 52

Batman Incorporated # 1-8 (2011)

Batwoman # 0 -5 (2011)

Batgirl # 1 -11 (2009)

Batgirl # 1 -3 (2011) New 52

Red Robin # 1- 6 , 10 (crossover Batgirl) ( 2009)

The return of Bruce Wayne # 1- 6 (LS) (2010)

Batman: Dark Knight ( New 52) 2011 # 16-23

Power of the Atom (1988) complete serie # 1- 18

Starman # 1-45 (1988) complete serie

Im a big batman fan so i went for the first 2

I remember as a kid really getting into Wolverine during the X-Men and when Miller's LS came out...

:ohnoez:

Those odd balls that got their own books I was also a fan of. I still take flak for Rom... :(

ROM :cloud9:

Truth.

Here's one of his best.

Found it online, looked at it. Kind of cool. Not 100% on the ending though. Hard to make it out from the drawings.

So.. the girl has a robot guardian??

It was also printed in black and white in a mag size Byrne collection.

His error is fearing technology he doesn't understand and it leads to a hasty decision. He could have had everything a man could possible desire/paradise and instead ends up drinking his life away in some space bar. I took it as a commentary on man's tireless quest to become more and more advanced through technology when happiness can be found in the simplicity of nature. As far as silent comics go it's pretty well crafted. Glad you read it!

Somewhere around 79/80 Wolvie really became the coolest X-man and was given a bigger role in the series and then interest in his 1st app started picking up from there $-wise.

What astonishes me is how long it took for ASM 129 to pop.

Wolvie reminded so much of the Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry character at the time. He just fought authority.

The Punisher came out when ASM was awash in gun villains like Hammerhead and jigsaw. I rem he really popped in my mind when he went to prisoner and started killing the bad guys there. I was thinking, now there is a new line on a bad guy.