• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

The last few days have done this book some good. Here's an auction that ended today

walking dead 53 - eBay

Keep an eye on this one

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=24131143

Already in my watch list, good sir. I'm glad I grabbed a few more before this broke.

Poison Ivy 3d looks to be another strong one. CGC 9.8 @ $36 with 10 minutes to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350886068059?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649

How so? $28 to slab. $39 sale price...I'm not seeing the heat.

because modern slabs sell for $15-20

Why bother getting them graded if you're losing money on them then???

i know right?

I will never understand the logic of taking a comic right off the shelf, sending it in for slabbing (with the additional $10 for Fast Track) just to try to flip it immediately. You don't even know if the heat will last long enough to be able to cover the investment.

Cover price + shipping to Florida or convention admission price for dropoff + slabbing fees + Fast Track + return shipping + eBay and Paypal fees = not much profit.

I'm guessing most people are sending in 50 books with a pre-screen of 9.8? In that case you totally waste shipping costs.

And don't even get me started on CGC shipping to Canada.

It was CHEAPER to get my stuff sent back from CGC to Tennessee then to Ottawa, then to get it shipped directly to Canada.

It used to be that you could make a little money, $5-10, on new slabs or at least break even.

But what about the time value of money? Is it really worth the effort if you're only making $5-10?

Honestly, I recognize that I'm being curmudgeonly because I'm frustrated by the long turnaround times I face for books I actually want slabbed, while I see pre-sale auctions for 9.8 books that came out last Wednesday. In most cases, anyone has a good chance of picking up their own 9.8-worthy copy if they'd just go to the comic shop. I get that there's a premium attached to slabbed books, but come on, we've just seen that much of it is illusory after you factor the costs of slabbing. It's not a good thing to get $40 for a $10 comic if you had to spend $30 to get it. Just sell it raw and be done with it.

Oh yeah, the intent was to try for a 10.0 and sell it for a zillion billion. :eyeroll:

(thumbs u

Agree.

Time and effort is the big thing.

If it's not going to be like $50 profit or more, I don't see much of a point.

PS. Never use the word "curmudeonly" again. :sick:

It used to be that you could make a little money, $5-10, on new slabs or at least break even.

But what about the time value of money? Is it really worth the effort if you're only making $5-10?

Honestly, I recognize that I'm being curmudgeonly because I'm frustrated by the long turnaround times I face for books I actually want slabbed, while I see pre-sale auctions for 9.8 books that came out last Wednesday. In most cases, anyone has a good chance of picking up their own 9.8-worthy copy if they'd just go to the comic shop. I get that there's a premium attached to slabbed books, but come on, we've just seen that much of it is illusory after you factor the costs of slabbing. It's not a good thing to get $40 for a $10 comic if you had to spend $30 to get it. Just sell it raw and be done with it.

Oh yeah, the intent was to try for a 10.0 and sell it for a zillion billion. :eyeroll:

So, someone honest think they will find 10.0 books after Diamond abuse, shipping damage, the lobster claw of LCS employee.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

the lobster claw of LCS employee.

This made me lol and cringe at the same time. You would think owners would train their employees how to handle comics.

Some owners don't feel the same towards comics. They think, "okay, they're being read, who cares if there's a little smudge or bend".

Even before I started to buy extras for investment, I wanted all the comics I bought, read, and saved in my collection to be in the best possible condition.

Why would I want a banged up, destroyed comic???

the lobster claw giant ham hands of LCS employee.

This made me lol and cringe at the same time. You would think owners would train their employees how to handle comics.

Had to change that slightly. Some of these mutton heads grab the comics like they're going to fly away if they don't hold on tightly with a death grip. Never seen anything like it. I wanted to punch out the cashier at the LCS.....it's not a piece of pizza you're cramming into your craw bro....it's a bunch of paper that can be easily damaged with your careless sausage digits!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

you all see the crytozoic man #1?

It was an interesting read, but the prose got a little dense...some are gonna love it and some are gonna hate it...but what interests me is that it's sure to get promoted on TV ( it's by the comic book men )...and history shows that that makes a great value bump...

right now it seems to be sleeping selling under cover...

And of course, the one copy I ordered has to spine ticks in it.

PS. Anyone else who watches the show thing that Walt's quite the , and Ming is the only one who has any sense???

There might be a tiny blip in interest, but not enough for a long term hold, unless it is a good book. Comic books by people who are media stars first (as opposed to comic book writers who later become media stars) have a horrible track record for both long term value and for being even passable reads. Kevin Smith and Joss Whedon are the only two who have been passable, and they both wrote scripts for a living as opposed to being actors or TV "personalities."

Plus it's a 4 issue mini, isn't it???

What are people's thoughts on:

- Lazarus; and

- Ghosted

Anyone speculating on these?

Finally read the first issue of Lazarus, it was pretty good.

Haven't read Ghosted. The premise just doesn't interest me in the least.

Betty! Yup, thats the book. I think you actually have a chance to buy it raw and send it to CGC (fast track) and the book will have steady grown in demand in the time it takes to get back in hand, thus making it worth it to be slabbed. Hopefully news breaks and we find low print run info.

Read it this weekend.

It was actually really good. Very dark, and kind of sad and disturbing.

I tried to read this, I mean really tried to read it, but I just couldn't. I love the weird and ridiculous, but this was just bad. They tried way too hard.

Ditto. Had it been a labor of love crafted over time instead of a marketing gimmick for a sappy TV commercial of a show it may have had potential, but 6 pages in I had to keep myself for throwing up due to sheer horribleness.

Ghosted on the otherhand is rock solid. LOVE that book.

Lazarus is good too, but much slower paced and complicated than Ghosted.

Another GREAT book people are missing out on is Six Gun Gorilla. That tale is wicked and fresh and FUN!

1- Picked up Six Gun Gorilla soley on the name. YES, the story is VERY strong, interesting, enjoyable. Very different. Almost like a more down-to-earth, practical Prophet (in terms of throwing out sci-fi names, technologies, concepts, but not explaining what the hell they are).

2-"Well, Cryptozoic Man, it's VERY rare, I've only seen 3 copies in 9.8 condition. Any collector would FLOCK to this in a heart beat. This is truely a treasure. THE single rarest comic that's EVER been produced, with the most critically acclaimed story in history. So, how much where you thinking for it???".

"Uuummmm.....$20???"

"OOoooooooohhhh.....haha...ha..yaaa...I don't think so. I'll give you a nickel."

Some dealers had stacks...the simple fact is that with a 30,ooo print run....there are more people that want them then to supply....

If you want to talk about the illusion of scarcity....how many people know that debeers keeps diamond prices high, and just don't care....

Try asking someone to marry you without a diamond in your pocket?

600 copies per state. Doesn't seem like many.

Also, you get the dealers with 50 or more copies at their store, but don't forget the dealers who got only 3 for their store.

The last few days have done this book some good. Here's an auction that ended today

walking dead 53 - eBay

WHy the surge? Is he supposed to be in Season 4 or something?? The new spin-off??

Yes, 1st appearance of Eugene and Abraham, both are to appear in Season 4. This book is only going ^^^

(thumbs u

Agree.

Time and effort is the big thing.

If it's not going to be like $50 profit or more, I don't see much of a point.

PS. Never use the word "curmudeonly" again. :sick:

depends on volume. doesnt take a lot of time, and very little effort is needed. if you make $50 on an invoice, thats great. if you have a lot of invoices, that adds up. plus when you put it on your cc, and pay it off every month, its great. i get sooo many rewards points from capital one, its great.

Edited by youmechoose