• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alternative Online Universes

41 posts in this topic

Recently, Bronzilla signed-out of the Water Cooler & off the Boards. :sorry:

Without revealing anything he shared with me in confidence, Bronz had lost interest many months ago in comics (& therefore Comics General) & he finally lost interest in the topics discussed by the Water Cooler denizens, despite the wide variety of those topics. Our host’s restrictions on speech further frustrated him.

I advised him to stay on this forum for the fun & the friendships but to do as I had done a few years ago & seek out an alternative forum which was more congenial to his various interests unrelated to comics & void of the WC’s or the Boards' wackiness.

This forum was my first. I had no knowledge of such things prior to joining the Boards. It is known that eBay had a long running & popular comics board & the Corral seems to be another popular comics forum. The NOD/CBCA’s boards are mentioned around here from time to time.

Are any of y’all members of other forums, either comics related or OT?

If so, tell us about them & why you’re members both here & there. :popcorn:

Sure, I'll share.

I am a member here because I have a small (~3500) collection of comic books. Now and again I add to that collection by purchasing a book here, and if it is an upgrade, eventually I sell some stuff here. The main reason I stay is because I think one day (when I can spend less time working) my interest in comics will pick up and I'd hate to have missed some of the knowledge that is available and shared here. Also, the CG forum usually provides at least one extremely humorous story I can share with my wife each week.

The other forum I frequent is an online community for a video game, Lord of the Rings Online. I don't play the game as much anymore, maybe 5 hours a week, but I also still frequent those forums for the same reason, I think my interest might increase again and I don't want to miss anything.

Lastly I also spend a lot of time on social networks like Twitter and Google+ following and engaging in mostly work related topics like Content Strategy and User Experience Design.

Good topic to discuss, thanks for asking.

I'm a member here because I have a lot of friends here and there is still a lot of good and interesting info around.

I'm a member on some other boards because they are fun and relaxing places to chat. I wish I had more time to spend on forums.

Recently, Bronzilla signed-out of the Water Cooler & off the Boards. :sorry:

Without revealing anything he shared with me in confidence, Bronz had lost interest many months ago in comics (& therefore Comics General) & he finally lost interest in the topics discussed by the Water Cooler denizens, despite the wide variety of those topics. Our host’s restrictions on speech further frustrated him.

I advised him to stay on this forum for the fun & the friendships but to do as I had done a few years ago & seek out an alternative forum which was more congenial to his various interests unrelated to comics & void of the WC’s or the Boards' wackiness.

This forum was my first. I had no knowledge of such things prior to joining the Boards. It is known that eBay had a long running & popular comics board & the Corral seems to be another popular comics forum. The NOD/CBCA’s boards are mentioned around here from time to time.

If so, tell us about them & why you’re members both here & there. :popcorn:

Try Slickdeals,cheapassgamers or Fatwallet forums. Just remember being a big whale here could be a minnow there due to the size of their forums. ;)

That's cool but I'm not forum shopping, so to speak. I found an alternate forum unrelated to comics a few years ago with which I'm fully satisfied. :)

I'm a member here because I have a lot of friends here and there is still a lot of good and interesting info around.

I'm a member on some other boards because they are fun and relaxing places to chat. I wish I had more time to spend on forums.

If you can weed thru a lot of bs,and know who the good posters are than you will find tons of good information on this CGC board. It is hands down the best board about comic books! :cloud9:

That's cool but I'm not forum shopping, so to speak. I found an alternate forum unrelated to comics a few years ago with which I'm fully satisfied. :)

Try Topix forums if your into news.It is uncensored. There is smack talking all day there if your into that. :)

Smack talking is the number one negative of such forums, IMO.

Arguing isn't for human relations & the exchange of ideas, knowledge, & opinions. It's for making money & business. It's for sales or lawyers.

I'm on a literature (poetry, fine arts, & philosophy too) forum populated by writers, academics, & students. The manner of discourse there is unlike that found here. For example, no graemlins lol

I discovered this forum looking for information on Jason Ewert. The difference between n00bs of the '05-'06 vintage and our n00bs is that the new n00bs come out with clips locked and guns blazing. I lurked for months and months trying to figure out what was what and learning.

This is the first and only forum I have ever been involved with. I don't Facebook or Tweet. I CG.

Hell no. This place takes up more than enough time without adding more boards to the mix. doh!

I did post on the eBay boards a little before coming here, but that's about it.

I discovered this forum looking for information on Jason Ewert. The difference between n00bs of the '05-'06 vintage and our n00bs is that the new n00bs come out with clips locked and guns blazing. I lurked for months and months trying to figure out what was what and learning.

This is the first and only forum I have ever been involved with. I don't Facebook or Tweet. I CG.

I don't tweet or FB. :sumo:

When I joined I was trying to stay under Deathlok's radar. He suffered noobs not at all.

I joined a major comic book forum 2002. Was there for about three years. Gravitated to CGC in 05 and have been mostly on, and off ever since.

I don't tweet, book the face, or post to any other online community. When playing MMO's, I lurk those forums but never post.

You play video games?

Aye. Off and on, time permitting. I was a World of Warcraft junkie, again, off and on, 2004 thru Nov of last year.

Check out "Kingdom Rush" and tell me it's not the best free flash tower defense game you've ever played.

Locked and blazing, that’s for sure. I did the same as the Fingh, lurked for 4-6 months before finally joining.

I started collecting again after picking up books here and there on ebay and starting to visit the LCS around 2004; the Jack Kirby Collector helped get me fired up, too. I discovered the boards when searching for other area shops, and found a post by Rob React.

I’m here because I heart comics and enjoy having someplace to talk about them, and I get some good laughs. I’ve learned an incredible amount over the years; the Boards are an amazing suppository of knowledge. I’ve even managed to make some good friends.

I could easily live without all the board drama and nastiness, though.

I don’t have a Twitter account. I am on Facebook, but only log in about once a week, if even that much. I’ve been a member of the Mopar Mailing List since the 90s, but pretty much just skim the posts there these days.