• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best DC war comic cover nomination thread

173 posts in this topic

Hello again, friends! :hi:

I'm going to be doing my 3rd edition of the DC War Comic Cover Survivor Series, and this here is the nomination thread.

My goal is to get you all to post your favorite covers from any DC war title, right here in this thread. The 5 basic titles are All-American Men Of War, G. I. Combat, Our Army At War, Our Fighting Forces, and Star Spangled War Stories. You could also choose a cover from Sgt. Rock, Unknown Soldier, Weird War Tales, or any other DC war book. I've had some nominations in the past with Action Comics, where those particular issues were war themed. Those would be fine as well.

I'm sorry for being biased towards DC war, but in the nicest, possible way....suck it. No offense. :insane:

Your choice can be a known classic cover, one you feel is classic, or perhaps one you think is superbly done. Really, just any cover that you like very much. We are eventually looking for the best of the best, so please keep that in mind when posting the books that you'd like to nominate. I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but try to select what you would consider to be really nice/cool.

I will accept all covers posted to this thread, as long as they are DC and have to do with war. After we get enough nominations, we can then have my "Survivor Series" for DC war covers, to determine the greatest DC war cover of all time. Each of the first 2 Survivor Series I did, we had over 100 nominations. I'm hoping for that many again, so don't be shy and get posting. (thumbs u

If you need to see what some of the covers look like, there are many great sites that showcase covers. Here are two sites: right here and here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've run the DC War Comic Cover Survivor Series twice before and there were 3 books that really should retire as the definitive "Top 3 DC War Covers", as they placed top 3 in both competitions. They are:

#1- G. I. Combat #80!

gic80.jpg

#2- All American Men Of War #94!

aamow94.jpg

#3- G. I. Combat #91!

gic91-1.jpg

Congrats to these monumental covers!! :applause:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's time to give the other astounding covers a fair shot at the top honours this year. :)

I'll start us off with a few yummy books.

G. I. Combat #87 known across comicdom as a classic Russ Heath cover (1st appearance of the Haunted Tank) (thumbs u

G.jpg

G. I. Combat #83 not known by the general masses of the comic community as a classic cover, per se, but part of the much-cherished run of washtone/greytone covers that blessed the G. I. Combat series. (worship)

gic83.jpg

Our Fighting Forces #71 :luhv: Do you not love this cover? Gunner, Sarge, and Pooch. An absolute classic and should place in the top 5, but we'll see....

off71.jpg

Okay, I'm done for now. Get to it, everyone! Let's see some beautiful covers!! :applause:

Andy

I don't care that this book is easy to find, this is one of the coolest most moody covers ever for me. The villain is the hero! He's the Red Baron. He has no friends that are human. It's drama. He stares into your soul. Hans!

Picture302.jpg

I was gonna post this. Great choice. One of my faves.