• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPC bar code vs. Spidey head???

11 posts in this topic

I was looking through a wizard price guide and noticed that there are different prices for comics with bar codes vs. the spider-man face. They have the UPC listed as a higher priced comic. Whats the diff? I would think that the spidey bust would be worth more if anything.????

sumo.gif

the SPidey heads are direct sales copies. Depending on when the issue was published, either the Direct sale or the newsstand copies were pinted in far less quantities. But I never noticed that Wizard had broken out different prices... Its been mostly a point of conjecture as to whether one or the other tyoe would be priced higher. Guess the time is now.

Oh, those differences have been noted almost as long as the books have been on the market. That's nothing new at all. I remember trying to figure out which version would be most valuable while while they were still on the shelves...The only thing missing from those original musings was the then unknown Gold UPC version.

OS lists all the same version information.

Here is what OS states in regards to the Spider-Man #1 Gold (ie: 2nd Printing) the UPC version:

Gold 2nd Printing w/ UPC code; (less than 10,000 print run) intended for Wal-Mart; much scarcer than orignially believed

As far as other books go, I've never really heard of any drastic price difference in UPC code vs. a logo/pic/ whatever.

Only books I can think of are the "Whitman variants". But I do not know if the Whitman logo takes the place of a UPC code as I don't own any. Would they qualify for this discussion? confused-smiley-013.gif

I have always preferred the Newstand copies to the Direct Edition. Nothing to do with the code box, but because of the pricing box. I much prefer to just see the U.S. currency, as opposed to the U.K. and Canadian currency. The books somehow feel more authentic that way. cloud9.gif